RC Enthusiast

Rustler 4x4 racing and setup

Hi guys, just wanted to know if any of you are taking the rustler 4x4 out on a track and racing it. My LHS has an indoor turf track, and even though there's no Stadium Truck 4x4 racing class, I still really enjoy taking it out there for practice. The Rustler 4x4 is really a lot of fun on those tracks.

So for those that are interested on track use, I wanted to ask what your racing setup is and if your LHS has racing classes that you can use the Rustper 4x4. I know you can't really be competitive with the rusty, but it's still a lot of fun.

My setup at the moment is a stock VXL, 2s lipo (max allowed at the LHS) and shocks fixed at the last A-arm position (lowered chassis) with clips on the shock body to harden the springs. I still notice that the truck wants to tip over if I release the throttle or sharp turns - I blame that on the grippy tires.

Yesterday I went over to see the weekly races, and asked around about racing the Rusty... they mentioned that with the amount of people buying that truck they are considering starting a class. Also very pleased to see upgraded Slashes racing competitively on the SCT races, proves that Traxxas makes an awesome all around car!

RC Champion
    you can take some electrical tape and run a layer around the outside edge of the front tire. that will take away some of the grip and rolling over tendencies.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

Our LHS (San Jose, CA) has an indoor off-road clay track, and they do run a stadium truck class (although, most people competing are running 2WD, not 4WD). ESCs are stock "blinky", motors are 13.5T, and tires tend to be semi-slicks (Prime, Electron, Positron, Crosslink, etc. As for wheels, most are running SCT wheels, with SCT tires. For those running 2.2 stadium tires, I'd suspect most are running JConcepts Octagons, or Pro-Line Prime T, Positron T, or Electron T.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Do the rules allow sway bars? If so they will help a lot.

I don't believe there are any rules regarding sway bars. My Rusty 4x has them, as will my Slash 4x (once I finish building it), and my other Rusty 4x (being converted into a buggy). As a matter of fact, both of my TLR buggies (one 4WD 1/8, one 2WD 1/10), as well as my USGT car, have sway bars. And, when I get around to ordering my 2WD SCT kit, that will have them, as well. Getting my point? LOL
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better