RC Qualifier

Affordable axle options.

Hey guys. I am looking for a pair of affordable axles. Stock ones are not holding up well(not suprising), so I am in the market for some axles. Preferably a pair under $40. If this is not enough money for some quality axles, I will wait and save up more money for some better quality axles.

If you can't afford...or are just not yet up to spending the money on...the MIP driveshafts (which, based on several other postings, might need to be recalled), you should seriously consider the 'Heavy-Duty Steel CV' by Traxxas. Yes, I realize these are considerably above the $40 limit you've interested in spending, but I'm unaware of any options in the price range you mentioned. For that matter, other than those two, plus the 'stock' driveshafts, I'm not aware of any other driveshafts currently available for the Rusty 4x4.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    If you’re running 4s with an 8th scale motor the Traxxas CV’s are your best bet as clearly MIP’s are having issues. Or you could go xo-1 shafts.

RC Qualifier
    those traxxas heavy duty shafts r not good. I have heard many people break them on 4s with a 4600 kv castle motor. Anyways, I will probably save up and get some xo-1 shafts. Any clue as to pricing?

RC Qualifier
    I am seriously considering some tekno m6 axles. Because they are not telescoping, they would be less prone to snapping. I also have some shafts from my redcat caldera sc 10e. They seem similar, and I might give them a try in my rusty 4x4.

RC poster
    After reading a lot of stories about broken axels I wonder if table flex could be a factor?
    It was an issue with other models running RPM tables...

RC Racer
    Xo1 and steel cv are same, good for 100mph n 6s! only the outer hubs are different 5mm n 6mm! Only problem Ive had is when a real car didn't stop, I did! Ran over my beast, wrecked a shell and bent a shaft, also they list an extended shaft #6752 (2wd rustler) that can be used when fitting longer arms on a 4x4 ie. Protrac....

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Xo1 and steel cv are same, good for 100mph n 6s! only the outer hubs are different 5mm n 6mm! Only problem Ive had is when a real car didn't stop, I did! Ran over my beast, wrecked a shell and bent a shaft, also they list an extended shaft #6752 (2wd rustler) that can be used when fitting longer arms on a 4x4 ie. Protrac....

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
    I am aware. Hence why I said either or, as the xo-1 shafts are more durable with that 6mm stub.
    Also telescoping has nothing to do with snapping

RC Qualifier
    I compared the stock axles with the tekno m6 and my redcats, and the stock axles have more weak points. I think that this is due to the telescoping driveshafts. The screw where the wheel hex and rims are mounted, have a plastic part, with a ball joint attaching to the axle. This plastic part has snapped twice on my pede 4x4 and just now snapped on my rustler 4x4. The other driveshafts have the traditional dog bone style driveshafts, and it seems MUCH harder to snap these thick bars of metal, that go into steel pipes, than it is to snap part plastic shafts. I am most likely wrong about this, and I would love to hear why, but I cannot wrap my mind around the telescoping factor not being a weak spot. I tried putting my redcats axles into the rustler. Lol. Redcat caldera 10e is not designed very well. I had to dismantle the entire rear end to even get the axles out. Then I had to open up the differentials. The part that is attached to the driveshaft actually is in the diff. I tried to get it out, but the screw stripped really easily. And they had red loctite on them. I then thought of putting the entire diff into the rusty, but the redcat had an oversized diff compared to the rusty, so I had to give up after an hour and a half.