RC Competitor

Rustler 2wd vs 4wd

Hey guys, I am going to buy a rustler and I was wondering how much difference there is between the 2wd vxl and the 4wd vxl. Do they handle similarly, jump similarly and most importantly is the 4wd really worth the extra 100$?

Two different animals. It all depends on what you want to do and where you want to drive. I have both a nitro Revo and a 2wd Slash and though the engine/motor is different, the way they drive is different as well. I keep my lawn a little taller and the Slash has some difficulty starting out and getting up to speed whereas 4wd Revo can get up and move.

In my eyes 4wd is worth it. But it is your wallet that is opening...
    The Super Derecho

I was initially considering the Bandit, but, after talking with some people, it was suggested to avoid it, due to limited ground clearance...so, I (very briefly) considered the Slash, but, quickly revised that to the Rustler. The question I faced, as you are facing now, was 2WD or 4x4. One of the sales people at one of our large local shops "hinted" at staying away from 4x4s, purely because of the greater number of parts (especially moving parts), and that he, and the other sales people there, prefer 2WD over 4x4s. Of course, this shop does tend to lean towards cars (they have an indoor flat track, specifically for cars). However, I found my way to the other large local shop, which also happens to have a sizable indoor dirt stadium track. The people there, obviously, had an entirely different opinion. They don't "discriminate" - 2WDs & 4x4s are "equal", albeit (as mentioned by Double G) different. I watched vehicles on the track, and spoke with some of the drivers, and, while there were some with 2WD vehicles on the track, they all had 4x4s. To end this, I got the 4x4...and I'm VERY happy I did. It's a blast. I took it to a local park after it had rained, and it had no problem with the wet grass, mud, puddles of water, etc. The only "problem" came when I blasted it forward at one point, right in front of me, and it sprayed water on my suit pants (I'm a professional chauffeur, and was "wasting time" before picking up my next client). If you have the money, I'd say, "Get one of each." If that's not an option, get the 4x4...you will NOT be disappointed. That's my (due to inflation) 1.5 cents worth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    The only "problem" came when I blasted it forward at one point, right in front of me, and it sprayed water on my suit pants (I'm a professional chauffeur, and was "wasting time" before picking up my next client).
    Hmm...is the "panther" in your name referring to the Lincoln Town Cars?

On topic, buy both! There is an enormous aftermarket parts selection for the 2WD since it's been around a while and so many people have them, it's hard to stop buying them because you can always build a new one in different configuration. It will take the Rustler 4x4 a while to get there provided it sells enough in the long run.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 01-14-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    It will take the Rustler 4x4 a while to get there provided it sells enough in the long run.
    Somewhat true...but, not entirely. Considering that many of the parts used with the new Rusty 4x4 are the same parts used on the Slash 4x4, a lot of the aftermarket parts originally designed for the Slash 4x4 can be used on the new Rusty 4x4. I've just ordered one (sway bars) which I will be testing, once received.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Somewhat true...but, not entirely. Considering that many of the parts used with the new Rusty 4x4 are the same parts used on the Slash 4x4, a lot of the aftermarket parts originally designed for the Slash 4x4 can be used on the new Rusty 4x4. I've just ordered one (sway bars) which I will be testing, once received.
    You are right about the drive-train. The direction I was thinking was more along the lines of the body (proprietary), chassis (new dimensions), etc that makes it different from the Slash/Stampede 4x4s.

I hope the 4wd Rustler succeeds because I really do think for most people like me(non racers who use the cars primarily outside of tracks) it makes more sense than Slash 4x4s and more parts availability is always good.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I want the best of both... Make a mid engine 2wd out of the 4x4 chassis. The suspension on the 4x4 is so much superior to the 2wd...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    You are right about the drive-train. The direction I was thinking was more along the lines of the body (proprietary)
    It's more than just the drivetrain...the suspension system, as well. As for the body, I know what you mean...but, give it some time. Besides, there's nothing stopping you from trying to jury-rigging a different body to the Rusty 4x4 VXL chassis.

RC Competitor
    I will mostly be doing on road driving with jumps and the occasionally sand driving. The chassis of the 2wd rustler seems a little outdated to me and the 4wd is a little more modern does the old chassis still work well?
    Last edited by Pretzell23; 01-14-2019 at 04:20 PM.

RC poster
    Ok guys I'm new to all this I'm a 31yr old mechanic so this stuff is new to me.. anyway. My wife got me a regular rustler rwd for Christmas and well within the first few drives the titan 12motor burnt out. Started making a clicking noise. So I orders a vxl3 with the velineon brushless motor. I only have the 8.4v nimh my 3000mha battery. No here is my issue. I plug it all up and everything comes on. But as soon as I hit the trigger it goes for maybe 3 seconds starts blinking and shuts down. Can someone please help.
    you can not catch a bullet

RC Qualifier
    look in the manual, you are probably seeing the low voltage protection, there are instructions on how to turn off the low voltage protection so you can run NiMH batteries. The ESC indicator should be red when that is set.

I was initially considering the Bandit, but, after talking with some people, it was suggested to avoid it, due to limited ground clearance...so, I (very briefly) considered the Slash, but, quickly revised that to the Rustler. The question I faced, as you are facing now, was 2WD or 4x4. One of the sales people at one of our large local shops "hinted" at staying away from 4x4s, purely because of the greater number of parts (especially moving parts), and that he, and the other sales people there, prefer 2WD over 4x4s. Of course, this shop does tend to lean towards cars (they have an indoor flat track, specifically for cars). However, I found my way to the other large local shop, which also happens to have a sizable indoor dirt stadium track. The people there, obviously, had an entirely different opinion. They don't "discriminate" - 2WDs & 4x4s are "equal", albeit (as mentioned by Double G) different. I watched vehicles on the track, and spoke with some of the drivers, and, while there were some with 2WD vehicles on the track, they all had 4x4s. To end this, I got the 4x4...and I'm VERY happy I did. It's a blast. I took it to a local park after it had rained, and it had no problem with the wet grass, mud, puddles of water, etc. The only "problem" came when I blasted it forward at one point, right in front of me, and it sprayed water on my suit pants (I'm a professional chauffeur, and was "wasting time" before picking up my next client). If you have the money, I'd say, "Get one of each." If that's not an option, get the 4x4...you will NOT be disappointed. That's my (due to inflation) 1.5 cents worth.

RC Competitor
    ^ You can say that again!

RC poster
    Thank you. It didn't come with anything but the motor and esc. I had to.order a mounting bracket and screws long enough to install it. But I found the information you are talking about on how to set it.. again thanknyou

RC Competitor
    I think I am going to end up buying the 2wd rustler as it seems to be better value for the price and has more modifications available. Unless I can find a 4wd rustler for under $360 i cannot justify spending that much money on an rc car. Thanks for all of your suggestions, if any of you see a 4wd rustler for under 360 please post the link here. Thanks again everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzell23 View Post
    I think I am going to end up buying the 2wd rustler as it seems to be better value for the price and has more modifications available. Unless I can find a 4wd rustler for under $360 i cannot justify spending that much money on an rc car. Thanks for all of your suggestions, if any of you see a 4wd rustler for under 360 please post the link here. Thanks again everyone!
    Check RC Planet. They've got the Rustler 4x4 VXL for $379, plus free shipping (and, depending on your state of residence, no sales tax).

Sent from planet Earth...possibly

RC Qualifier
    Ok. This is quite an interesting topic. First of all if you have a good amount of money, dont be stingy. Get the 4x4. Unless you really hate working on cars the 4x4 is a must. They do not handle similarly, from my point of view. Rustler 2wd will wheelie more, and is a little faster. The 4x4 has much better air control, better traction, looks cooler, and can convert from a truggy to a monster truck, with few minimal changes to the suspension and tires. The fact that the 4x4 has twice as many parts to work on is just a gimmick. I have never had problems on any 4x4 that cannot happen on a 2wd model. In my case though, I do not own any 2wd rc cars, except a vintage traxxas bandit. (1999). Even with the horrible stock power system, it still has bad traction. The 4x4 will also come with a wheelie bar and a wing. Because it is the big hype right now, you can probably have more support and advice about it. Take these forums for example. The rustler 4x4 forums have way more activity than the 2wd rustler forums. Another thing. Traxxas reps made me think that the 2wd rustler with tsm will handle like a 4x4 because of the tsm. It is not true. I took out the center driveshaft and made it just rwd. It handled like a pig. Lastly, I would reccomend going with the vxl version. It has so many minimal upgrades, so buying the brushed version, and upgrading the power system is just not worth it.

RC Competitor
    Whatever you buy I definitely recommend the VXL model. XL-5 is so slow and to bring it to VXL spec makes no sense IMO. I have both models and they are 2 totally different animals. I use the 2wd on pavement only and it's a beast on 3s. If u plan on jumping and going off road definitely go with the 4X4.

Is is worth $100. more...I think it is. The 4X4 is so much more versatile, it's tough and can take a beating. Can do things I wouldn't do with the 2wd. This is why I have both.

You should be able to find the 4x4 for $360 to $370 if you look hard enough. Just got mine online for $369 shipped.

RC Competitor
    Whatever you buy I definitely recommend the VXL model. XL-5 is so slow and to bring it to VXL spec makes no sense IMO. I have both VXL models and they are 2 totally different animals. I use the 2wd on pavement only and it's a beast on 3s. If u plan on jumping and going off road definitely go with the 4X4.

Is is worth $100. more...I think it is. The 4X4 is so much more versatile, it's tough and can take a beating. Can do things I wouldn't do with the 2wd. This is why I have both.

You should be able to find the 4x4 for $360 to $370 if you look hard enough. Just got mine online for $369 shipped.
    Last edited by transbrake; 01-16-2019 at 04:56 AM.

RC poster
    Thank you guys I finally got my rustler up and running today. The things crazy, I need to get better tires or something it goes ok on the main road, but in the yard it just spins when I gun it.. and my lipo dose not come in till Friday. Hate to see how crazy it is after. But anyway think u guys for all the help in getting it up and going. Appreciate it

RC Qualifier
    Yes yes yes. I had this problem too. The esc probably came with something called low voltage detection activated. This is only for use with lipo batteries. Once the cells drop in voltage, it stops the entire car, to prevent over-discharging your batteries. If this is on with nimh it will do exactly what you said it does. The way to turn it off is to power on the car, and hold down the power button, for 10 seconds. It may take longer. Then it will make a noise, and the light will turn red. After that if you still have problems, call traxxas, and they will help you. Their number is 1-888-TRAXXAS. Good luck.

RC Competitor
    Just for the record I ended up getting the 4x4 vxl, I will let you guy know how it is once I get it. Thanks for the input everyone

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzell23 View Post
    Just for the record I ended up getting the 4x4 vxl, I will let you guy know how it is once I get it. Thanks for the input everyone
    I think you made a wise decision based on your first post of what your intended use was.

RC Competitor
    Got my rustler yesterday, it was a blast!! Already broke the caster block, can someone link the rpm or aluminium upgrade ones?