RC Competitor

Project Slash Chassis

So I was talking about this on the forum a few weeks ago and wanted to post some teaser photos before diving into the process.

This project takes an XO1 chassis, cut down to size and mounted to replace the stock Slash LCG.

Found the chassis on ebay for less than $10 and built this using a dremel, drill press and jig saw. Still a lot more progress to make with getting the electronics and batter mounted; however, I am expecting I will be ready to take it to the track this weekend.

Nice! Did the Slash bulkheads basically just bolt in?
    Top view of your rig please!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    No, but I was able to use the bulkheads from the XO-1 as a template to drill the hcg bulkhead holes.

Stay Tuned for more pics. I will show how I did the bulkhead mounts. That was the easy part. The motor mount was/is causing me problems so I am still dealing with that.

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of the truck. Looks like it will be something different
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Xo1 cut to suit slash wheelbase...
    Hope it helps with placement, slash lcg bellcrank and repositioned xo1 servo mount, had to move receiver box with 1/8 scale electrics but did fit receiver box, servo, 1415 castle and mamba x all on RH side.

Keen to see how you have mounted slash bulkheads as xo1 runs negative castor on front arms for anti dive or something....

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Motor mount is xo1 with cush drive, To use slipper or centre diff you just space motor mount forward by redrilling chassis and fabricate a custom top chassis plate, then just shorten an xo1 centre shaft to suit or even a stock slash centre shaft may fit.

For XO-1 to 1/8 GT conversion kits:

http://www.xtremercracing.com/XO-1322.cfm?sc1=215
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Made a lot more progress tonight. Here is the latest.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Motor mount is xo1 with cush drive, To use slipper or centre diff you just space motor mount forward by redrilling chassis and fabricate a custom top chassis plate, then just shorten an xo1 centre shaft to suit or even a stock slash centre shaft may fit.

I am not using the Xo-1 components. None of them would be suitable for an offroad configuration.

I have modified the HCG front and rear bulkheads from the Slas and mounted them to the XO-1 chassis.

Here is the rear:

And some shots of how I mounted them.

After mounting the rear bulkhead, I found that the LCG motor mount lined up perfectly with the differential; however, the XO-1 mounting holes did not. I fit the center diff and then attached the motor mount.

One thing I found when mounting the bulkheads was that the XO-1 bulkheads had different mounting holes; however, there were holes for mounting the differentials, so I used those as guides for drilling my mounting holes for the slash bulkheads.

here is the XO-1 bulkhead I am using as a guide:

You can see the holes for mounting the slash bulkhead vs the mounting holes for the XO-1 bulkhead - also note, my RPM rear bumper was so flat that I could actually mount it to the bulkhead before attaching it to the chassis:

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that toe tho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    that toe tho
    LOL. Right. I have not touched my links yet.I still need to mount my receiver and finish the rear upper chassis plate.

I am planning to use the VG Racing Chassis brace to tie it all together.

RC Competitor
    Ok, I was able o get everything put together and mounted for some practice time at the track this weekend and man!!! This chassis worked beautifully.

Mounting the motor mount proved to be the most tricky part of the project. ended up cutting the rear chassis mount off the LCG chassis and then attaching that to the rear diff and motor mount. From here, i could drill some pilot holes through the stock holes on old LCG motor mount I had laying around. The drive train runs as smooth as I could have wanted.

Here is a shot of the rear chassis mount from the LCG chassis.

After running it at the track this weekend, it seemed to run a bit hotter than the stock LCG so I put together my fan setup for the motor as well.

Here are some before and after shots:

the completed chassis with everything mounted***ignore that bent turnbuckle....i had a bit of a run in with a broken part of the wall at the track this weekend.

RC Competitor
    Dimensions:

Stock XO1 chassis:
    18.1 inches length and 5.3 inches width

My modified xo-1 chassis - using the entire drivetrain off of my stock lcg setup.
    15.3 inches length - same width (5.3in)

RC Racer
    Nice, given me a bit inspiration for a spare xo1 chassis to use under my ebuggy sl4sh, may try mounting some cheap alloy bulkheads, front n rear to a cut xo1 chassis....

There's a few aftermarket chassis still available for sl4sh if you search:
    chuckworks, strc, ccs...

Anyway How do you find the streetfighters? I find them awesome for street bashing!

RC Competitor
    Nice, given me a bit inspiration for a spare xo1 chassis to use under my ebuggy sl4sh, may try mounting some cheap alloy bulkheads, front n rear to a cut xo1 chassis....

There's a few aftermarket chassis still available for sl4sh if you search:
    chuckworks, strc, ccs...

Anyway How do you find the streetfighters? I find them awesome for street bashing!

Shining Star (SSC8) is the only aftermarket aluminum chassis out there for the Slash 4x4 now and it costs $189.

I bought the XO-1 chassis for $13 on ebay and did not really need to invest in many additional parts from what I already had on hand.

Unfortunately, it is raining here this weekend so we are not racing. Guess ill have to wait a few more weeks before I can get lap time comparisons.

THere were a few reasons I did not want to buy an aftermarket chassis:
    1.) Cost is prohibitive on the aftermarket aluminum chassis - chuckworks did not seem like it be be an upgrade from what I read.
    2.) It was not a "true" traxxas vehicle with the aftermarket chassis...
    3.) reports from someone who has one that all the aluminum around the A Arms was causing them to break more frequently
    4.) Its has been a fun project and I can get more adjustment points around the a/arms with spacers. At some point, I may add an adjustable A Arm block.
    5.) It is truly a one of a kind

I love the street fighters for when I am driving around the house. They are perfect for tearing up my street.

RC Competitor
    So, the track has still be shut down on race weekend because of the rain here in California; however, I have been able to get a couple of practice days in and am so happy with the performance of the chassis. The biggest change from the lcg chassis and this one is that in the air, it is way more balanced and easy to recover from an off-axis tilt. For cornering, I am still playing around with springs to get the rear end to respond properly but this thing is awesome. I put together a walk through of the truck for those interested. Still need to get one of it on the track.

Also want to shout out the barcodes, they are a dream on the track conditions we have.