RC Enthusiast

About transmission?

Someone explain to me - what are the benefits of this transmission - direct drive?

RC Qualifier
    Good question, luckily I have an answer. That transmission’s direct drive is very innovative by Traxxas to do. Basically, it makes the motor have little (or no) gear reduction through the transmission and it only then gets reduced in the front and rear diffs. The reason they have done this is that the front-center driveshaft and rear-center driveshaft are spinning at a high speed with low torque, rather than a low speed with high torque. Makes them wear out way less.

RC Enthusiast
    Ahhh i see now, thank you veru mych

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Good question, luckily I have an answer. That transmissionís direct drive is very innovative by Traxxas to do. Basically, it makes the motor have little (or no) gear reduction through the transmission and it only then gets reduced in the front and rear diffs. The reason they have done this is that the front-center driveshaft and rear-center driveshaft are spinning at a high speed with low torque, rather than a low speed with high torque. Makes them wear out way less.
    Because the planetary for the rear is actually housed in the rear end, the rear driveshaft would spin as you suggested.

With the front planetary being housed in the transmission, the front driveshaft actually spins at the reduced 9:1.

Said another way, the driveshafts do not spin at the same speeds due to where the planetary is (before / after).

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    It also helps with torque twist in the rear axle, which would be massive if the gear reduction was in the the trans.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...