Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 58

Thread: My VXL build

  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52

    My VXL build

    I'm calling it good on upgrades for now, but do plan to install a Hot Racing motor plate and motor mount before it gets hot out, as well as motor and ESC fan. Still running the 11t pinion. Loving this thing!

    Upgrades:

    GTR shocks with VG Racing springs
    VG Racing chassis brace
    Integy motor heat sink
    Traxxas aluminum wheelie bar wheels
    Tekno M6 driveshaft kit
    Tekno aluminum hex kit
    King Headz slipper bearing adapter
    Proline Trenchers on F11 wheels

    20190120_134204 by D Hunley, on Flickr

    20190124_100813 by D Hunley, on Flickr

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    943
    Those F11's are huge lol. I'm gonna run 3.8's on my revo with shockwaves. Nice build.
    I assume you have no issues on 2s with temps.
    But if you run 3s, how bad is it? I bet it self rights real good though.

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Those F11's are huge lol. I'm gonna run 3.8's on my revo with shockwaves. Nice build.
    I assume you have no issues on 2s with temps.
    But if you run 3s, how bad is it? I bet it self rights real good though.
    I think the angle of that pic makes them look bigger than they are, but they are definitely bigger than stock. It's been pretty cold here, so no issues on 2s or 3s. Motor has never been hot to the touch, but I also don't rag on it the whole time I'm driving. Thanks for checking it out!

  4. #4
    It looks huge, though. Think motor should be upgraded as well.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekelly View Post
    It looks huge, though. Think motor should be upgraded as well.
    That would not be smart. It’d just overheat the esc. And he’s not having any trouble with the stock motor either.

    Anyway, as for the op, no problem it’s a beast man. Nice to see the good old vxl system is treating you well.

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    We'll see how things go with the VXL. I'm not very likely going to run it much during the hot months as I'd much rather be riding my motorcycle. I got back into the hobby to keep my mind occupied while it's cold outside... Of course, if I have issues, there's always a Castle Mamba combo.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    401
    NICE. How r those tekno m6 driveshafts holding up on 3s with the bigger heavier tires? Thanks.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    401
    If you do get a lower kv rating than 3800. With those big tires 3800 kv or 4600 kv will struggle a lot. And r u hating the integy motor heatsink. Cuz peeps hate me for using that heatsink in combo with 2 fans

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    NICE. How r those tekno m6 driveshafts holding up on 3s with the bigger heavier tires? Thanks.
    Thanks. They seem to be holding up well. I'm really glad I went with the Tekno shafts. Such a simple design and a much better value than the other options out there.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    401
    Do you think there are any better options? Do you regret any parts?

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekerOfTruth View Post
    I'm really glad I went with the Tekno shafts. Such a simple design and a much better value than the other options out there.
    I just wish Tekno...or anyone...had a replacement for the center driveshaft. While the stock Traxxas unit is splined, it's still a hollow tube. I've heard good (and bad) things about the Big Bone center driveshaft for the Slash 4x4, but the length is different than the Rusty's center.

    ~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Do you think there are any better options? Do you regret any parts?
    Honestly, for the money, I don't think you can beat the Tekno kit. The Tekno kit also includes beefier rear hub with larger bearings and loads of adjustment, as well as front steering knuckles and 6MM stub axles. No regrets on anything so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I just wish Tekno...or anyone...had a replacement for the center driveshaft. While the stock Traxxas unit is splined, it's still a hollow tube. I've heard good (and bad) things about the Big Bone center driveshaft for the Slash 4x4, but the length is different than the Rusty's center.

    ~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    Yeah, I'm hoping Tekno comes out with a center driveshaft replacement. I think bending the center shaft is less likely to happen now that I have the chassis brace, but I would probably buy one if Tekno decides to make one.

  13. #13
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    The rear kit actually comes with 2 sets of hubs. One being .5 and the other being 1.5 for toe adjustment. Someone on the facebook page mentioned that the toe angle is 2.5, which is set by the bulkhead, so I actually used the .5 and put them on the opposite side, bringing my toe angle to 2. Also, the steering knuckle has bump steer adjustment options.

    A couple better shots of the kit...

    20190120_134109 by D Hunley, on Flickr

    20190120_134043 by D Hunley, on Flickr

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekerOfTruth View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping Tekno comes out with a center driveshaft replacement. I think bending the center shaft is less likely to happen now that I have the chassis brace, but I would probably buy one if Tekno decides to make one.
    If you've referring to the VG Racing chassis brace, it's in my "cart"...I'll be ordering it very soon, along with the machined front/rear differential gears.

    ~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    If you've referring to the VG Racing chassis brace, it's in my "cart"...I'll be ordering it very soon, along with the machined front/rear differential gears.

    ~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    Nice!

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    401
    Is it necessary to open up the diffs to install the tekno axles? And also you say the rear hubs r included. What material are they?

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Is it necessary to open up the diffs to install the tekno axles? And also you say the rear hubs r included. What material are they?
    No need to open the diff. It attaches the same way as the stock using the screw pin. The hubs are made of plastic, but they're much more substantial than the stock ones.

  18. #18
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    If you do get a lower kv rating than 3800. With those big tires 3800 kv or 4600 kv will struggle a lot. And r u hating the integy motor heatsink. Cuz peeps hate me for using that heatsink in combo with 2 fans
    Any thoughts on this, seeker?

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhole View Post
    Any thoughts on this, seeker?
    On which. The motor or the heatsink?

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhole View Post
    Any thoughts on this, seeker?
    I agree with that kv statement. Big wheels mean hard work for the motor. In my slash 4x4 I ended up putting in a sidewinder 8th because i was sick of high temps lol, that 2200kv never got above 120 degrees hah. Moral is, keep the kv in the low 3k's if you want to keep the stock ESC. Hence, why the stock motor is pretty darn good.

    Honestly, if the stock 3500 isnt doing it, just upgrade both the motor and esc.

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Honestly, if the stock 3500 isnt doing it, just upgrade both the motor and esc.
    Which is exactly what I'm in the process of doing.

    ~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  22. #22
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhole View Post
    Any thoughts on this, seeker?
    If I go the route of changing out the motor and ESC, I'll definitely go with a lower KV rating. Thinking a Castle 2650KV would do the trick.

  23. #23
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    7
    And a mamba esc seeker? Do you race or bash? I had mine out today in the snow. It was maybe a bit deeper than I should have had it out in. I just got it sunday finally and was itching to drive it...until someone a few blocks away hit a pole. I saw the wire shake and grabbed the truck and put it on the front stoop and went jogging up. They just clipped it but cracked the pole, all were safe. I may build a snow track tomorrow after work, if its not too sub freezing temps and snow frozen into ice.

  24. #24
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonMH View Post
    And a mamba esc seeker? Do you race or bash? I had mine out today in the snow. It was maybe a bit deeper than I should have had it out in. I just got it sunday finally and was itching to drive it...until someone a few blocks away hit a pole. I saw the wire shake and grabbed the truck and put it on the front stoop and went jogging up. They just clipped it but cracked the pole, all were safe. I may build a snow track tomorrow after work, if its not too sub freezing temps and snow frozen into ice.
    Most likely a Mamba X if I go that route. I'm more of a basher, but I'm pretty easy on it. Not sure what people are doing to overheat theirs, but I have a few buddies with 4x4 Stampedes and Slashes and they never seem to have problems with the VXL system.

  25. #25
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Much better now... I'll use the green and blue body for hard bashing and will try to keep this one nice for as long as I can.

    20190207_105725 by D Hunley, on Flickr

  26. #26
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,538
    Nice... I like that non-VXL body color scheme!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  27. #27
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Nice... I like that non-VXL body color scheme!
    Thanks man!

  28. #28
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Trying out some Road Rage tires now. I have a sweet little spot by my work that I've been running my car at a lot and I think these are going to be perfect for it. They're a little smaller than I was expecting, but they hook up really well and it's a bit quicker than it was with the Trenchers.

    20190317_145301 by D Hunley, on Flickr

  29. #29
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Also just installed a King Headz motor mount.

  30. #30
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,538
    Rig looks great!

    If you want a slightly larger tire, look at Proline 2.8 Primes:



    Available in both 12 or 17mm versions.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  31. #31
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    245
    i have a set of primes and they mostly sit on the shelf. Its a treat pattern(or there lack of) that is way too sensitive to dust or debris if you dont heat the tire up a bunch every time, and if speed is what you want then 17mm 1/8 bugs wheels+tires are way better. For me and YMMV 99% of the time tires like road rage, badlands or trenchers are better for all around use.

  32. #32
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,538
    Agreed. Just showing another option.
    For street, I have JConcepts' 2.8 G-Locs, BSR foams, GRP rubber, and Proline Primes and RoadRages.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  33. #33
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Thanks, Squeeqie!

    I was looking at the Primes, but figured I'd be better off with the Road Rage tires.

    Just got back from running it in a parking lot by work and it's definitely different than it was with the Trenchers. Did a few front flips and some cartwheels after going over a few bumps that the Trenchers just soaked right up. Tons of fun after getting over the little learning curve.

  34. #34
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Brought the Rustler to work with me again today. Really liking these tires. It's like driving a completely different car compared to the Trenchers. Feels right at home in a beat up parking lot.



    20190319_153249 by D Hunley, on Flickr

  35. #35
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    71
    Seeker:
    Thanks for sharing.
    Any chance that you have a picture of the relative sizes of the three sets of rubber (stock Talons/Trenchers/RoadRage) side-by-side? I have an inkling that I'll end up needing to get some additional ground clearance, and wanted to see what the tires/wheels would buy me.
    Clearly, if I end up with a larger rolling diameter, I'm gonna need to adjust the gearing down, but that is a different conversation.
    Thanks --BillJ

  36. #36
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    I'll try to snap a pic for you later. The Road Rage tires are a little smaller than the stock Talons, but the Trenchers are considerable bigger. I figure it will be nice to have the Road Rages on during the warmer months, plus I find myself running on paved surfaces more often than not.

  37. #37
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekerOfTruth View Post
    I'll try to snap a pic for you later. The Road Rage tires are a little smaller than the stock Talons, but the Trenchers are considerable bigger. I figure it will be nice to have the Road Rages on during the warmer months, plus I find myself running on paved surfaces more often than not.
    I looked and they actually have the trencher mounted in

    SC(1190-xx, 4.35 inch diameter and 1.86 w)

    ST(10159-10, 4.2 inch diameter, 2.2 w)

    And MT(1170-xx, 4.87 inch diameter, 2.86 w), that’s the one everyone gets with desperado wheels that gets used a lot on Monst Slash trucks.

    So I will probably get some ST sized ones next when my MT sized trenchers wear out. Only trouble is Prolines are pricey so I don’t run them too much. but the trenchers are so good for paved surfaces, unless im on a clean smooth asphalt or concrete surface where primes do work, if there is even a lttle bit of dust or debris around, my trenchers works better than primes in my 4wd or 2wd Rustlers.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 03-25-2019 at 01:43 PM.

  38. #38
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekerOfTruth View Post
    I'll try to snap a pic for you later. The Road Rage tires are a little smaller than the stock Talons, but the Trenchers are considerable bigger. I figure it will be nice to have the Road Rages on during the warmer months, plus I find myself running on paved surfaces more often than not.
    Thanks, Seeker. Looking forward to it.

  39. #39
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    Thanks, Seeker. Looking forward to it.
    Still working on that pic. Haven't forgot about you, just been busy.

  40. #40
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New York City and Darmstadt, DE
    Posts
    10
    @SeekerOfTruth

    Did you use any special adapter on the Road Rage tires ? or are they plug and play with your 4x4 VXL !

    thx
    Last edited by ABRsanta; 04-11-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    E-Revo VXL 2.0
    DJI Mavic Pro - Modded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •