Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My VXL build

RC Competitor
    ... and now - a month later - I'm feeling forgotten ;-)

I'm totally kidding. Really. I can live without the image after having visited the LHS a few times and gotten a better feel for the relative sizes of tires. Hoping that Seeker is LivingLifeLarge, and not feeling overwhelmed. Peace. --BillJ

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    ... and now - a month later - I'm feeling forgotten ;-)

I'm totally kidding. Really. I can live without the image after having visited the LHS a few times and gotten a better feel for the relative sizes of tires. Hoping that Seeker is LivingLifeLarge, and not feeling overwhelmed. Peace. --BillJ
    Lol. Not going to lie, I did completely forget about this. It's motorcycle season now, so RC has taken a bit of a backseat. I know I've said this before, but I'll work on getting that picture for you. Just have to think of where I put the stock wheels and tires...

RC Competitor
    LOL, I hear ya... I spent this past weekend riding 250s in a parking lot, training a dozen new riders. --BillJ

It's ALWAYS "motorcycle season" for me...of course, I also live in California.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    LOL, I hear ya... I spent this past weekend riding 250s in a parking lot, training a dozen new riders. --BillJ
    Nice! I took the MSF course 13 years ago and that weekend is one of my best memories. I had ZERO experience and the teachers were really awesome. Made the class so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    It's ALWAYS "motorcycle season" for me...of course, I also live in California.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    Well, I guess California does have a few things going for it... lol

I do envy the weather and the fact that you can lane split. That would definitely make traffic in a leather jacket more tolerable. With the crazy traffic you guys have, I can't imagine how awful it would be to just sit there on a motorcycle.

RC Competitor
    It only took a couple months, but here it is...

20190519_152959 by D Hunley, on Flickr

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekerOfTruth View Post
    Those Road Rage wheels look nice. I'm guessing you had to up the gearing due to the smaller diameter of wheels compared to that of the Talons?

RC Racer
    I love the 2.8 road rage on my slash 4x4 ultimate and rustler vxl 2wd. I just got a set of 2.8 bandito also which I may actually like more for the road and skate parks. Next to try is some 1/8 scale belted grp gt1 for my e-revo and 17mm hex adapters to try those monsters on the rustler or my new drag car build.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by StDragon View Post
    Those Road Rage wheels look nice. I'm guessing you had to up the gearing due to the smaller diameter of wheels compared to that of the Talons?
    I did end up going with a 13t pinion after putting the road rage tires on. Plenty fast for me on 3s.

RC Racer
    That oughta be a lot of fun in a skate park. A 4x4 VXL is pretty high on my want list right now cuz I am afraid to destroy my e-revo on the ramps and the slash 4x4 ultimate is down for a rebuild. The 2wd rustler vxl does pretty good but a 4x4 would be a bit more entertaining. Off to the LHS tomorrow probably cuz I like paying my credit card bills...
    Last edited by fozzy71; 05-20-2019 at 07:07 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    I love the 2.8 road rage on my slash 4x4 ultimate and rustler vxl 2wd. I just got a set of 2.8 bandito also which I may actually like more for the road and skate parks. Next to try is some 1/8 scale belted grp gt1 for my e-revo and 17mm hex adapters to try those monsters on the rustler or my new drag car build.
    Others from online reviews state the banditos balloon badly at high speed. Seems these would be better suited for a slash. At the least, not for someone like me that will drop the hammer full throttle at the local parking lot.

What do you think of road rage vs anacondas?

RC Racer
    I haven't tried anaconda but they are in my cart if I buy a rustler vxl 4wd tomorrow. I blew one bandito in under 24 hrs at a skate park that was super slick. The ballooning at speed may explain my speed runs today with them. I need to go swap to the road rages for tomorrow. It was pulling 100+ ft wheelies at 20 - 40 mph when I finally maxed the throttle after a slow ramp up in my rustler vxl 2wd on stock gearing. Hopefully the slash lcg chassis conversion kit I bought today will help... This should be a fun project.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    That oughta be a lot of fun in a skate park. A 4x4 VXL is pretty high on my want list right now cuz I am afraid to destroy my e-revo on the ramps and the slash 4x4 ultimate is down for a rebuild. The 2wd rustler vxl does pretty good but a 4x4 would be a bit more entertaining. Off to the LHS tomorrow probably cuz I like paying my credit card bills...
    I think I'm too much of a wimp to take mine to a skate park lol. I like this set up for playing around in the street in front of my house and in the parking lots by my work.

RC Competitor

20190519_152959 by D Hunley, on Flickr
    Many Thanks, Seeker! I appreciate your taking the time to make this happen. While the image does make it plain just how much larger the trenchers are, it also highlights just how LITTLE actual ground clearance is gained by going with "reasonably larger" tires. I was thinking that Trenchers might help when plowing across grass, and they might help a tiny little bit, but are not going to be a night-and-day kind of difference. I'll just wait-n-see how badly bogged down the boy's brushed Rustler 4x4 gets this summer...

Thanks again --BillJ

RC Competitor
    Nice! I took the MSF course 13 years ago and that weekend is one of my best memories. I had ZERO experience and the teachers were really awesome. Made the class so much fun..
    Well, if you enjoyed the BRC back then, maybe consider becoming a RiderCoach. I don't know how the MSF courses are administered out there in Michigan, but here in Vermont, (where the MSF curriculum is delivered by the State), we could use a bunch more coaches (too many old dudes like myself deciding to call it quits after teaching for a decade or two). It *is* rewarding, if a bit of a time-suck. :-)
    Ride Safe --BillJ
    Last edited by Single_Trac; 05-23-2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo

RC Competitor
    Nice build! Iím looking to do something similar. Also does lower kv in the motor mean more power? I donít really know how that all works Iím just curious.

Simply put: Lower kv means more torque.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Agreed. Just showing another option.
    For street, I have JConcepts' 2.8 G-Locs, BSR foams, GRP rubber, and Proline Primes and RoadRages.
    I wanted to follow up on this. Now that we are in proper summer weather, the primes are back on one of the cars. when the ambient temperature goes over 85 or so, the asphalt is nice and hot, and these tires really hook up. They are so grippy I can traction roll it even on lowered 2wd FLM aluminum chassis rustlers.

One cool thing is they are almost silent except a menacing buzzing sound at high speed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12