Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to build a back slash

I really would like to build a backslash but I have no idea where to start or what parts I need any information on how to build a backslash from the slash ultimate would be appreciated

A quick search would turn up a few different threads, all found within the 'Slash 4x4' section. To help you out, I find an old post (August 2015) by Squeegie, in a thread titled "How too make a Backsplash'. His post went as follows:

"Remove the front and rear bumpers, install wing mount and wing, 1/8 buggy wheel/tire combo, and change the body. Done.

The Jang did the original:

http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/backslash/

If you can find it, STRC makes a great conversion kit:

http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...tegory&path=65

Good luck and keep us posted! "

Hope that helps. After reading some of it myself, I'm starting to get interested.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    A quick search would turn up a few different threads, all found within the 'Slash 4x4' section. To help you out, I find an old post (August 2015) by Squeegie, in a thread titled "How too make a Backsplash'. His post went as follows:

"Remove the front and rear bumpers, install wing mount and wing, 1/8 buggy wheel/tire combo, and change the body. Done.

The Jang did the original:

http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/backslash/

If you can find it, STRC makes a great conversion kit:

http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...tegory&path=65

Good luck and keep us posted! "

Hope that helps. After reading some of it myself, I'm starting to get interested.

Excellent, helpful post. Good job!
    Squeegie’s creations are something to behold. He invariably does a great job. If I were to copy someone, he would be it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Excellent, helpful post. Good job!
    Squeegie’s creations are something to behold. He invariably does a great job. If I were to copy someone, he would be it.
    Through PM, he, plus a couple of others, has given me a little "assistance" on my current project (building up a race-capable Rustler 4x4 VXL). Anyway, I wouldn't so much be interested in "copying" him in the BackSlash idea, but more of taking his idea, and putting my own spin on it. That being said, based on what little I've read about it (I've emailed myself several links, for in-depth reading once I've completed the current 5-day chauffeuring job I'm in the middle of), my interest has been seriously peaked.

+5 to NOFTCHX for creating this thread, and bringing the BackSlash to my attention.

Through PM, he, plus a couple of others, has given me a little "assistance" on my current project (building up a race-capable Rustler 4x4 VXL). Anyway, I wouldn't so much be interested in "copying" him in the BackSlash idea, but more of taking his idea, and putting my own spin on it. That being said, based on what little I've read about it (I've emailed myself several links, for in-depth reading once I've completed the current 5-day chauffeuring job I'm in the middle of), my interest has been seriously peaked.

+5 to NOFTCHX for creating this thread, and bringing the BackSlash to my attention.

Understood, but I was referring to myself copying, not you or the general public.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Thank you guys. Ive always wanted a BACKSLASH. I know theres abounch others out there who want to build one as well. Ive spent so much time on modding my two stampede 4x4's it went to the back burner. Where ir what body would be recommended?

Does that strc kit come with instructions? The ultimate traxxas link was good but im going to be doing it to a 4x4. Do i need different shock towers, front and rear bumpers? How do i install the wing mount kit onto the existing shock tower or the new shock tower? Lastly do i need to mod up to 17mm hex adapters or is the 12mm ones fine?

If you want to run buggy wheels you'll need 17mm adapters. Depending what axle you're running there's a few good options. They wing takes some fabrication, pick a wing mount and figure a way. I used a mugen wing stay, fabricated a backing plate and screwed it in to the shock tower mounts. Give me some time, I'll track down some pics. A kyosho body works well!
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    Thank you guys. Ive always wanted a BACKSLASH. I know theres abounch others out there who want to build one as well. Ive spent so much time on modding my two stampede 4x4's it went to the back burner. Where ir what body would be recommended?
    Currently modding a Rustler 4x4 VXL, so I understand.

Ok, I just had an insane idea...and, I DO mean INSANE. Here's my thought - take the idea of the Backslash, but instead of using a Slash 4x4, use either an E-Maxx or E-Revo. Like I said, INSANE. The only problem I can think of is finding a body...might have to custom fabricate one, unless you can find an appropriate 1/5 scale buggy body. I say "1/5" because the Slash is 1/10, and you used a 1/8 buggy body, whereas the E-Maxx & E-Revo area 1/8, this the need for (approx) a 1/5th body. So, what's your thoughts?

Thank you FnFancy. Ill be waiting. Im anticipating on it. Im thinking about buying Team Losi Racing 8IGHT/E/T 4.0 Gen II Wing Mount TLR341005 and Team Losi Racing IFMAR Wing Black TLR240010. Will those work? Also what do i do about the front bumper, body, and front plastic nose? Any information would be wonderful.

I personally feel the E-Revo is a buggy. Just have to lower it down. It has a wing and body like a buggy. Just need to drop it to get the stance. Doing it to a E-Maxx would be different and interesting to see. Alot of customizing thats for sure. I feel the BACKSLASH is the way to go or maybe team associated RC8.2E RTR.

I personally feel the E-Revo is a buggy. Just have to lower it down. It has a wing and body like a buggy. Just need to drop it to get the stance. Doing it to a E-Maxx would be different and interesting to see. Alot of customizing thats for sure. I feel the BACKSLASH is the way to go or maybe team associated RC8.2E RTR.
    Technically, the E-Revo could/would be considered an 1/8th scale stadium truck, just as the Rustler is a 1/10th scale stadium truck (if you check out both, you'll notice that the Rustler looks like a "little brother" to the E-Revo. Regarding the wing, it's attached (on both) to the body, not the chassis.

Panther6834 your absolutely right. Thank you FnFancy. Ill be waiting. Im anticipating on it. Im thinking about buying Team Losi Racing 8IGHT/E/T 4.0 Gen II Wing Mount TLR341005 and Team Losi Racing IFMAR Wing Black TLR240010. Will those work? Also what do i do about the front bumper, body, and front plastic nose? Any information would be wonderful.

Panther6834 your absolutely right. Thank you FnFancy. Ill be waiting. Im anticipating on it. Im thinking about buying Team Losi Racing 8IGHT/E/T 4.0 Gen II Wing Mount TLR341005 and Team Losi Racing IFMAR Wing Black TLR240010. Will those work? Also what do i do about the front bumper, body, and front plastic nose? Any information would be wonderful.
    Panther6834 your absolutely right.
    You're welcome. Regarding your post in the other thread (yea, I'm there, too), either would be great. However, be in regards to the Slash 4x4 Ultimate, there are a few things to consider.

First, since you're considering using it as the Backslash base, do you intend on sticking with the Traxxas Tx & Rx, or are you planning on switching to something else (Futaba, Airtronics, Spektrum, be etc)? The reason is, the telemetry equipment installed probably won't work if you switch transmitter & receiver...each manufacturer has their own versions.

I could be wrong, as the telemetry modules topically plug into a receiver, thus most have the same 3-prong connector, but the circuitry inside each module could be proprietary. Additionally (I haven't actually looked it up, just considering another possibility), instead of using the "basic" modules, Traxxas might have installed the Telemetry Expander, as well as the "advanced" modules, which use a 4-prong connector, guaranteeing that they wouldn't work with other manufacturer's transmitters & receivers.

The second reason has to do with a combination of the "hop-up" parts, the two, and (again) the possibility of going with a 3rd-party Tx/Rx. If you're planning/considering going with something other than the Traxxas Tx/Rx, you'd want to get street the price of the standard version, plus street prices of the "hop-up" parts (street price, NOT prices as listed on Traxxas website), and compare against the "Ultimate". You might find that the "Ultimate" costs more, and, if it does (again, IF you plan on using a different Tx/Rx), then the 'standard' version, plus buying the "hop-up" parts, would be the smarter but...plus, you'd get to do the build-up yourself.

Does that strc kit come with instructions? The ultimate traxxas link was good but im going to be doing it to a 4x4. Do i need different shock towers, front and rear bumpers? How do i install the wing mount kit onto the existing shock tower or the new shock tower? Lastly do i need to mod up to 17mm hex adapters or is the 12mm ones fine?
    Here you go:
    http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...ath=72_105_114

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Im planning on keeping the traxxas tx/rx. I have a spektrum dx4c with two AVC receivers. The receivers though i have one installed in my custume pede 4x4 with 2650kv motor and a mamba monster esc among everything else that is upgradable and the other installed in a custom dromida bx4.18 brushless. My other pede has its stock tx/rx as well as my othere dromida sc4.18 and my team associated sc28. Two of the reasons why i want the slash ultimate is the tsm/telemetry and its started to be modified. Plus the biggest reasons for me wanting it is i have tons of parts from moding my two pedes i could literally build two more if i had chassis. Instead i want to use them for spare parts with the slash and the pedes. Also making a BACKSLASH ive wanted to build for a long time. Now heres a question can I buy Team Losi Racing 8IGHT/E/T 4.0 Gen II Wing Mount TLR341005 and Team Losi Racing IFMAR Wing Black TLR240010 and Losi Body Posts and Tank Mounts 8B 8T LOSA4424 and make those work with the slash 4x4 shock towers? Or is there a plastic kit for the BACKSLASH instead of the strc aluminum kit? What kind of bodies are people running with their backslash? Thanks again to everyone I extend my deepest gratitude for everyone's help.

Couple pics

Thats awesome man. Exactly what i want to do. Did you use the strc kit or what wing and wing mount did you buy? Also man what kind of tires and body is that? I love it. Do you have the castle 2650 or 2200 in it? Did you have to modify the chassis when you installed the castle setup? Sorry bout the 50 questions. After seeing yours im stoked to getting a slash and moding it.

Oh one last thing how do you keep the body on? Body post or velcro or..?

Can I buy Team Losi Racing 8IGHT/E/T 4.0 Gen II Wing Mount TLR341005 and Team Losi Racing IFMAR Wing Black TLR240010 and Losi Body Posts and Tank Mounts 8B 8T LOSA4424 and make those work with the slash 4x4 shock towers? Or is there a plastic kit for the BACKSLASH instead of the strc aluminum kit?
    I'm 99.9% certain you can buy the parts mentioned...but, as for whether, or not, they'll work with the Slash's shock towers, I can't say. Even though you haven't started your project, you're still further along in it than I am. Also, as for whether there's a plastic kit, again, you're further along than I am...it's only because of your creating this thread that I even became aware of the Backslash. That being said, my "checking into things" led me to discovering that Losi makes a 1/5 electric buggy, which, for $999, is actually a nice deal...I might have to start saving my pennies.

Thats awesome man. Exactly what i want to do. Did you use the strc kit or what wing and wing mount did you buy? Also man what kind of tires and body is that? I love it. Do you have the castle 2650 or 2200 in it? Did you have to modify the chassis when you installed the castle setup? Sorry bout the 50 questions. After seeing yours im stoked to getting a slash and moding it.
    Castle mmx 2650, kyosho body. No chassis mods, no strc kit. Tires are 1/8th badlands on kyosho buggy wheels. I have a thread some where that details the transition....squeegie!?

Here’s the post from your thread:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6419344

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Here’s the post from your thread:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6419344

What would we do without the squeegie? Thank you kind sir.

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    What would we do without the squeegie? Thank you kind sir.
    Squeegies are great at cleaning up messes.

What would I do without any of you guys a big thanks to all of you especially squeegie, panther6834, and FnFancy. I can't wait till my Slash 4x4 Ultimate arrives in the mail shortly after I'm going to begin to modify it into a backslash and everyone I will keep you posted just asking again for reinsurance am I able to put a different style connector on the vxl-3s ESC to replace the ID connector?

What would I do without any of you guys a big thanks to all of you especially squeegie, panther6834, and FnFancy. I can't wait till my Slash 4x4 Ultimate arrives in the mail shortly after I'm going to begin to modify it into a backslash and everyone I will keep you posted just asking again for reinsurance am I able to put a different style connector on the vxl-3s ESC to replace the ID connector?
    It will void the warranty, might be better to purchase a new esc, put your chosen connector on and sell the vxl3s. Unless you're good with not having a warranty on the esc.

I don't know where to sell the esc and motor or anyone to buy it. J.w. do any of you know? Anything besides ebay.

I don't know where to sell the esc and motor or anyone to buy it. J.w. do any of you know? Anything besides ebay.
    How about listing it here in the forums, under "Traxxas Marketplace"?

Oh awesome. I didn't know that there was a market place. Thank you for that info. Yea thatd work. Cause i much rather sell the vxl-3s motor and esc combo to buy a castle creations 2200kv motor and mamba monster x esc.

Alternately, and something worth considering, is keeping the ESC & motor...not for the Backslash, but as a "backup", just in case anything happens with the Castle stuff. Better yet, keep the stock ESC & motor, and use them in an upgrade for something different. For example, I'm replacing the ESC, motor, servo, and receiver (plus the transmitter) in my Rusty 4x4, but I'm not planning on selling them, as they're almost brand-new, and I can use them in something else...especially if I purchase something used from someone else. Just an idea.

RC poster
    We have made a couple of Backslash buggies, and we found that the bodies for a Losi 8ight-E fit perfectly. Mount with Velcro along the chassis.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    We have made a couple of Backslash buggies, and we found that the bodies for a Losi 8ight-E fit perfectly. Mount with Velcro along the chassis.
    Losi cab forward body, strc ebuggy kit on a lcg chassis fit like a glove!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Losi cab forward body, strc ebuggy kit on a lcg chassis fit like a glove!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

That looks killer thank you guys for all of the advice. What kind of tires are you running on that? I like how you used the Pro-Line screw caps to mount the body instead of Velcro I have that mod on both of my Traxxas Stampede trying to figure out how to convert them to work with the dromida RC's that I have

Those look like X0-1 tires/wheels on his street BackSlash.

Here's a couple shots of mine with different tires/wheels:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6011869

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Burning-Chrome

I know the silver one has an Arrma Typhon body in it, but what's the body on the red one? BTW, both of them are out-of-this-world. The silver one almost reminds me of "Predator".

The body on my "Scorpion" is a JConcepts Illusion RC8e Hi-Flow body.
    Unfortunately, I think they discontinued the body. It's not on their website anymore.

I know what you mean by a "Predator" look to the Arrma body. I was originally going to paint it with a dirty bone or armor look. Decided to keep it looking clean and went with chrome. I wanted to keep it "sci-fi" style and added blue internal LEDs:

Have fun!

The body on my "Scorpion" is a JConcepts Illusion RC8e Hi-Flow body.
    Unfortunately, I think they discontinued the body. It's not on their website anymore.

I know what you mean by a "Predator" look to the Arrma body. I was originally going to paint it with a dirty bone or armor look. Decided to keep it looking clean and went with chrome. I wanted to keep it "sci-fi" style and added blue internal LEDs:

Have fun!
    The "problem" is, the more you & others give me ideas for my own Backslash project, the more "dangerous" it becomes...especially where my checking account, and wife, are concerned (not sure which I should be more "concerned" about...lol). As for the two bodies, while I like the red one, the Arrma Typhon body would be far more preferential. If a Predator were to be driving an off-road buggy, that's what it would drive.

Last edited by Panther6834; 02-01-2019 at 02:49 PM.

I know the silver one has an Arrma Typhon body in it, but what's the body on the red one? BTW, both of them are out-of-this-world. The silver one almost reminds me of "Predator".

Whats the parts number for the wing and the wing mount your using?

Those look like X0-1 tires/wheels on his street BackSlash.

Here's a couple shots of mine with different tires/wheels:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6011869

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Burning-Chrome
    Whats the parts number for the wing and wing mount your using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast