RC Racer

Upgrades - Standing Backflips

Hi all,

Planning on getting a new 8s XMaxx in a couple weeks and Iím going to do a few upgrades right off the bat. I want to be able to do standing backflips as I bash more in front of my house than anywhere else (plus I can always adjust my punch if needed). I see a lot of different things online so hoping to get good advise here.

My (rough) plan is...

Hobbywing Max6 ESC
    Steel Spur and Pinion (not sure on ration yet)
    2085x Servo

Anything else I should get? I see some run the Max5 ESC but I feel itís too big and it seems itís not needed.

Thx!

RC Qualifier
    Max6. Remove wheely bar. And get some good batteries.
    I run 22/46 gears
    Use the speed gear that comes with the maxx. (46T) and just order a 20 or 22 t pinon gear
    I use the 22t from Traxxas. The Traxxas gears are good if you set the mesh yourself. Don’t use the pin system.

RC Qualifier
    Get a GDS 46T metal spur gear. Factory metal spur gears are cast metal and shatter vs bending teeth.

-Liberty

RC Racer
    Liberty, did I see you run the Max 6? I am going to get the metal spur, I read the same thing everywhere online.

Also, does anyone have experience with the heat sensor and limp mode? If I were to swap RX to one out of my ERBE would I not have to worry about it? I read if you damage that wire it goes into limp mode in forward...

RC Qualifier
    The only reason the gears shatter is because the mesh is not set correctly.
    The gears on the other side of the Cush Drive are made in the same fashion and those never shatter, because you can’t adjust the mesh and set it incorrectly.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    The only reason the gears shatter is because the mesh is not set correctly.
    The gears on the other side of the Cush Drive are made in the same fashion and those never shatter, because you canít adjust the mesh and set it incorrectly.
    Theyíre also 3 times as wide

RC Qualifier
    This is a good point
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    They’re also 3 times as wide

RC Qualifier
    larger tires help with backflips, when i have my mad maxes on its wheelie happy almost to an annoying level.

I would gear it low, stock spur I think 54t? and the 18t pinion for backflips.

Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    Liberty, did I see you run the Max 6? I am going to get the metal spur, I read the same thing everywhere online.

Also, does anyone have experience with the heat sensor and limp mode? If I were to swap RX to one out of my ERBE would I not have to worry about it? I read if you damage that wire it goes into limp mode in forward...
    Yes I’ve had experience with the temperature sensor causing the x maxx to go into limp mode. If that happens it needs to be replaced. Also the one for the stock xmaxx motor is completely different than the one for the erbe. I personally would go with GDS pinions and spurs (Kevin Talbot uses the 50t spur gears on his xmaxx) and if you want standing backflips 22/50 with the 1600kv Traxxas motor on both (as I’ve done it as well) 6s or 8s LiPo.
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Maxx View Post
    Yes Iíve had experience with the temperature sensor causing the x maxx to go into limp mode. If that happens it needs to be replaced. Also the one for the stock xmaxx motor is completely different than the one for the erbe. I personally would go with GDS pinions and spurs (Kevin Talbot uses the 50t spur gears on his xmaxx) and if you want standing backflips 22/50 with the 1600kv Traxxas motor on both (as Iíve done it as well) 6s or 8s LiPo.
    So the only way to ďeliminateĒ that would be to take it off the motor and tie it away safely?

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    So the only way to “eliminate” that would be to take it off the motor and tie it away safely?

Thx!
    the safest way would be (if using the stock motor like I do) is just replace the sensor and gear it up. The TQi receiver I noticed only throttles the truck once the motor reaches 220įF or 104įC. It’s only around $10 USD and will protect the motor if taken care of well. Personally, I wouldn’t risk running the xmaxx’s stock motor on anything above 6s 15/54 gearing on a really cold day without the sensor as if it does get over 220 it could fry the motor permanently. Just my 2Ę that could save you hundreds.
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

RC Qualifier
    To be honest in my experience, anything over 200 degrees WILL do permanent damage to the motor. It will never be the same again, as the magnets lost some magnetism. Maybe not much, but the motor will definitely run a little hotter from then on (depending on how much over you went) above 220 usually means goodnight magnets.