RC Qualifier

4 Tec 2.0 differences VXL vs Brushed

It was likely my lack of patience reading through details, but I found my self supprised in some of the downgrades recieved with my brushed model.

When I read VXL ready I assumed most everything was the same as the VXL model, however that ws not the case.
    With that said there are guys running 140mph on basic brushed model cars with the only upgrades of (motor, esc, radio system, and 4s LiPo)

Here is my list of differences to help others out shopping for a 4-Tec. It may be worth the extra $100-$140 to grab the upgraded model.

Servo saver
    Steering bell crank bearings vs bushings
    Adjustable suspension arms (toe, camber) vs plastic non adjustable
    Steel center main drive shaft vs aluminum (soft/easily bent)
    obvious VXL brushless system vs brushed XL5 12t 550
    Higher speed rated tires
    TSM stability control receiver with many more open slots for add on's
    TX TQi radio (lets you dial in functions like steering dual rate through the second knob missing on the low end radio, which is very good to have when going fast)
    Blue tooth capable on TQi for mobile app

Did I miss anything?

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    Looks like the bearings in the steering bell crank are just an optional part/upgrade not necessarily included on the VXL or bushed model. Is that correct?

I see that there are other optional parts like steel diff output cups.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow. Thatís a lot of downgrades. Especially if one of the major selling points is brushless ready. I still fail to see how creating two sets of letís say camber links is a good idea. This car doesnít appear to share many parts with other Traxxas vehicles. So itís not like itís getting leftovers from other vehicles. Seems that engineering and creating two sets of parts is more expensive for Traxxas.

Maybe diff ring and pinion? They are different in other brushed vs brushless models.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Maybe diff ring and pinion? They are different in other brushed vs brushless models.
    I'm 99% sure they are the same.

RC Qualifier
    Everyone I know with a VXL version has the links set the same distance as the stock xl5 stock ones. Are they really needed? I run foams on my xl5 and they are wearing perfectly even.

RC poster
    Differences chassis wise...

Steel driveshaft
    Blue adjustment nut on servo saver, otherwise same servo saver and bell crank with bushings.
    Steel links instead of the plastic camber/tie rod links
    High speed 35/55 gearing included with VXL

The one thing I'm not 100% on is that I heard they may have phased out the non-high speed rated tires now?

I bought a brushed roller because I didn't care to have the electronics, the adjustable links, or the body. I had to backtrack and upgrade the driveshaft and a 29T pinion gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    I'm 99% sure they are the same.
    I see your 99% and raise you 100%.

https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/4-...-Rear-Assembly
    https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/4-...-Rear-Assembly
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    This is interesting. I have a Ford GT brushed that came with a TSM RX and TX, a Mustang that came with the TQ (non-TSM rx/tx), and the brushed roller versions. I'll have to see if there were differences between these three other than the TX and RX. I am mainly interested in the tires to see if the Ford GT has different tires than the Mustang GT.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    This is interesting. I have a Ford GT brushed that came with a TSM RX and TX, a Mustang that came with the TQ (non-TSM rx/tx), and the brushed roller versions. I'll have to see if there were differences between these three other than the TX and RX. I am mainly interested in the tires to see if the Ford GT has different tires than the Mustang GT.
    I noticed this also that certain models come with the upgraded radio.

I have seen guys like PhillDog here on the forum go over 130mph with the basic brushed model with only changing the tires, esc, motor, gearing, and radio. Testimate to the differentials and cheap plastic toe and camber arms.

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    Correct. With the testing I have done, the brushed model is fine without upgrades other than the motor, ESC, and tires. I really like this little car other than the fact that it needs a really smooth road.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

I also find this discussion interesting. I bought a very lightly used GT that was originally an XL-5. It has the plastic links etc but it also came with a TSM RX and a bluetooth ready TX. Original owner installed the Velenion system and some Contact foams.I installed the speed gear set and a 3s. This thing flat out flies and handles like it's on rails. At this point I see no reason to "upgrade" anything else on it.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    I noticed this also that certain models come with the upgraded radio.

I have seen guys like PhillDog here on the forum go over 130mph with the basic brushed model with only changing the tires, esc, motor, gearing, and radio. Testimate to the differentials and cheap plastic toe and camber arms.

-Liberty
    Um, I've been 149 mph ! all same car though. i added a steel driveshaft and mod 1 gearing also.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by phildogg View Post
    Um, I've been 149 mph ! all same car though. i added a steel driveshaft and mod 1 gearing also.
    My bad my bad
    That steel drive shaft is significantly heavier. I have it but on the fence about installing it.... I milled a MOD 1 gear to fit the oem style spur design utilizing the pin on the shaft. Reduced rotational mass is always a good thing.

-Liberty

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    My bad my bad
    That steel drive shaft is significantly heavier. I have it but on the fence about installing it.... I milled a MOD 1 gear to fit the oem style spur design utilizing the pin on the shaft. Reduced rotational mass is always a good thing.

-Liberty
    need the strength of steel though, snapped a alum driveshaft where pin goes through. Weak spot.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by phildogg View Post
    need the strength of steel though, snapped a alum driveshaft where pin goes through. Weak spot.
    That is good to know!