RC Enthusiast

TRAXXAS BANDIT VXL tires?

Just a question, is there any way I can get 2.8 tires/wheels for the Traxxas bandit VXL that donít require you to switch the pinion and spur gear? If I donít have to switch the spur and pinion gears, Just tell me. Thanks.

Also if thereís any tires that can be used for ground clearance and off-roading with LONG span. Make sure they are for the rear.

You need a temp gun. You may only need to change the pinion gear...just a thought. If you put a bigger tire on you should probably be prepared to lower the tooth count of your pinion, AND, get a temp gun to confirm
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the reply. But let’s say I get 2.2 size tires and they require hexes, would I need to change anything else?

RC Enthusiast
    Because now I’m thinking of getting the DuraTrax Lockup ST 2.2 Black (2). They require the hexes but would I have to switch anything besides the hexes, since they are the same size?

When we change tires size, consequently the wheels ratio changes, in fact bigger tires will cover more distance in one rotation than smaller one and like changing gears ratio, the car speed will increase and acceleration decrease, so if we add to the fact that 2.8 tires are also heavier, the motor will have more weight and a heavier rotating mass to put in motion, then you have two downsides that will tend to increase ESC and motor temp.

Ok depending of what is the surface your running on, I will suggest you two different tires setup, first if your are a basher but you like to do some street run, I recommend you to go with the Pro-Line Trencher all around (on the four wheels) however if you like bashing only, then it's possible to install the Trenchers at the rear and I suggest you to go with some Badlands MX 28 for the front, in reality the Trenchers are good for longitudinal traction and allows the rear of the vehicle to slide a little bit but those tires are very hard to worn out and the Badlands MX/28 offer more lateral grip, which is a good thing for correcting the Bandit understeer characteristic.

So as recommended, a temp gun is a need, but just make sure that you check your motor temp every 5 minutes or so and everything should be ok.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC Enthusiast
    Surprisingly enough, I’m only 13 and I completely understood what you said. Also, thanks for the reply, help, and much, much more!

RC Enthusiast
    Wait, so if I use hexes / convert to hexes, should I have to switch the pinion and spur?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Swapping pinion and spur is the most simple thing you can do to a 2wd Traxxas vehicle. Donít be worried about it. You may need to change the pinion if temps are above 160 degrees F.

RC Enthusiast
    Okay, thanks! I’m just scared of ruining my first Traxxas RC vehicle

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasOffRoad View Post
    Wait, so if I use hexes / convert to hexes, should I have to switch the pinion and spur?
    I meant to edit this post but: Do I have to switch the pinion and spur gear if I use 2.2 sized tires that require hexes? I found a pair of tires that require hexes but are 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasOffRoad View Post
    I meant to edit this post but: Do I have to switch the pinion and spur gear if I use 2.2 sized tires that require hexes? I found a pair of tires that require hexes but are 2.2

Yes and no... Depending of the tires weight, your location (weather temperature) and the way you use it, all that will affect the motor temp but if you can keep your finger on the motor for at least 3 seconds, your probably under 160 F... Finger touch is a really precise technique, so during 2 seconds it mean 175 F and 1 second mean 185 F... (just kidding) No seriously you really need a temp gun, therefore in a sense it cost nothing compare to all the money it could save, it's possible to order one for about 15 bucks.

Remember to keep everything clean (motor and ESC) Dirt and dust have tendency to create a thermal isolation, who will reduce the capacity of those components to evacuate their heat.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 01-21-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC Enthusiast
    Okay thanks, I’m probably going to use it for bashing, I live in Ohio, I will probably use my RC right around spring and summer, usually it snows till April, so should it be okay? The website doesn’t say it’s weight but here’s the name of the tires: DuraTrax Lockup ST 2.2 Black Pre-Mounted Tires (2) DTXC5101, I’m trying to figure out the weight of the stock tires and the Duratrax Lockup ST 2.2 (pre-mounted). Thanks for the help.

those lockups look nice. I think you can remove those bolts on those wheels and save some weight. I say go for it, what kind of battery are you using?
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    I’m using a 4000mAh 11.1v 3-cell 25C LiPo Battery. But I’m probably going to get a slower battery. IF my battery doesn’t overheat I’m keeping it.

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't worry too much about the weight of the tire in terms of heat. It may have some impact but it's more the size, and terrain you should worry about. Also regearing is easy, it's like 6 screws in total. Weight will be a bigger concern for the driveline, but 2.2s on a buggy is hardly stressful so I think you're fine. To determine the gearing, put on your tires, run it the way you would normally drive, check motor temps like every 5 minutes. If it's too warm, go down 1-2 maybe 3 teeth on the pinion. Most people like to keep their motors 160F or less. If it's under that, you have the option to gear up, but only go up by about a tooth or two at a time on the pinion.

RC Enthusiast
    Okay. But do i have to switch the pinion gears any time I get hexes?

RC Enthusiast
    Nvm. I understand now. Thanks for the help everybody!