Shock replacement alternatives.

So I busted my Rustler 3 times in one day at the carpet track.
    1) Rear shock tower split in half (Now replaced with an RPM)

2) The rear A-arm hinge pin where it connects to the gearbox split open. (now replaced with a Hot racing Hybrid gearbox) Having to replace the entire gearbox for this is a terrible design btw...

3) Upon changing the A-arms to RPM as well I noticed my left rear shock shaft was bent to heck and made an opening in the bottom of the shock shaft where the oil leaked out.

So... what are my options for replacing these ultras to something more durable. Same thing happened to my Stampede so I'm kind of done with these Ultras.

The Big Bores don't seem like that much of an upgrade besides shafts and aluminum caps (which I already wasted money on for these ultras) I see a lot of people suggest the GTRs but they require some modification to fit the front a-arms. I'm using RPM arms, will they still have an issue fitting? Also are there any other non-traxxas ones that will fit the Rustler with no issues and will hold up to the track better that are still available? (And not cost me another $100 dumped into this thing either). Some of the threads I looked at suggest models that are no longer being sold.

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Are there really no replacements except the Traxxas ones that fit this thing?

RC Qualifier
    You can try some 1/8th buggy shocks from something like an eight-e or hotbodies. Might take some modding to do so. Proline powerstrokes might be another option. Look around at some other 1/10th scale rc’s. There are some that have some nice shocks. Like team associated and such.

Apparently with the limited amount of money that you are willing to invest, I don't think it will be a big surprise if I say that the choice could be limited to the Traxxas big bore suspention and in reality are they really big bore..? No, because it's impossible to take one of the piston coming from the Ultra shock and fit it inside the aluminum ones, anyhow it has about the same inside diameter as well as the same oil volume capacity, also that is true with Pro-line ones and as far as I know, almost all of the other manufacturers offer the same characteristics, therefore one of the only alternative would be to buy the hardened steel plated titanium rod for the Ultra shock, this upgrade is good and very strong and it should not cost too much, you already have the aluminum shock caps and the rebuilt o'rings / spacers kit cost about nothing, also if we take in consideration the fact that aluminum are way heavier than nylon plastic, we can see two technical advantages over the aluminum ones.

I've had this upgrade on a Rustler for many years now, it performs well and the rod is almost unbendable, I run it like if I had stolen it but the rod never fail to accomplish it's duty.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 01-28-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Good driver...Bad setup...Bad things will happen

Some custom ultras sound like a decent option. You could get some threaded aluminum bodies, caps and the shaft upgrade...?

I'm not a fan of the powerstrokes, it just seems like for the money the bodies should hold more oil. The prospecs aren't much more expensive and you get a 12mm body.

The traxxas big bores have the stronger shaft, aluminum body as well as the aluminum cap...these have help up pretty good.

Check out Razor's build threads, he really liked some TLR shocks (IIRC).

I think my favorite are the prospec...it's just the cost is prohibitive.

I picked up a set of four shocks from a Kyosho off of dollarhobbyz.com you can find some good deals there.

I wish there was a really good, easy option to recommend. ^^^ check this site out periodically.
    MTFBWY

RC Qualifier
    Wow, ripped the tranny. Not the first time I've seen it, but it is rare. Never managed to pull that off with my Rustler and I do some stupid stuff to that truck.

Anyway, for shocks, I'd just get a pair of rear titanium shafts. I would have done it by now if I had the money, Rustler is about 2.5 years old now and still has stock shock with stock shafts and aluminum caps. Personally, I just like to bend the shock shafts back. That being said, they've been bent back a lot and are pretty much done now, not to mention that one of my shocks now seems to be leaking. Acutally, seems nothing, it is leaking. Half the oil in the shock is actually air, you can feel it. Also shock caps are worn way down. Solution to this will be a new set of stock shocks from Craniac (I want red springs)($16), titanium rear shafts ($10), and aluminum shock caps ($14). The front shocks should be fine with stock shafts, as I've only ever bent them one or two times between both front shocks. Now, at $30 you could argue that it's just $10 more for Traxxas big bores, but the outer diameter is just a little smaller, and I like the stock Traxxas linear springs, not the progressive springs, so I'm not going to get them. Think a similar combination would work well for you though, without costing a lot.

You could also get powerstrokes as suggested but I think they are like $80, and it's just way too much for me on a budget basher.

MTFBWY

Thanks guys. I might look into those GTRs for sale... def a better option than what I'm using now I guess.
    i have read on other threads though that they might need some modding on the a-arms to have them fit in the mounting area?

Do the big bores come with plastic or aluminum shock caps. I see the ultras ones i already have do not fit properly according to other threads here. if I went with those, I'd also have to buy a new set of caps as well or do they come with them already.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by PJbottoms View Post
    Do the big bores come with plastic or aluminum shock caps. I see the ultras ones i already have do not fit properly according to other threads here. if I went with those, I'd also have to buy a new set of caps as well or do they come with them already.
    They’re aluminum

100% sure on that? I've watched some reviews on youtube and in some of the consumer reviews on amazon and such they say the caps are plastic. Are there newer versions with updated aluminum caps? Nowhere in the description on the traxxas product page or vendor pages does it say aluminum caps that I can find, just the shock bodies.
    I just want to be 100% sure before i consider buying a set.

RC Qualifier
    What shocks are you looking at? The Traxxas big bores definitely come with aluminum caps. I've never seen anyone say that they were plastic.

You know how amazon reviews are.. can't always go by them which is why I wanted to be sure
    I also saw one youtube review but it was like 11 years old which is why I think they said they were plastic.
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    Last edited by PJbottoms; 01-29-2019 at 06:20 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by PJbottoms View Post
    So I busted my Rustler 3 times in one day at the carpet track...
    2) The rear A-arm hinge pin where it connects to the gearbox split open. (now replaced with a Hot racing Hybrid gearbox) Having to replace the entire gearbox for this is a terrible design btw...

I just saw this while looking for a bumper not on back order:https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra2798a/p14869

Those are for the Nitro version only. Electric is part of the gearbox for some retarded reason.