Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

MonsterSlash Conversion?

Hello everyone ,

I am pretty new to the hobby. I have a Traxxas Ford F-150 Raptor (2017 version) that is 6 months old and totally stock. I want to get it some upgrades. I was obviously thinking of getting a brushless engine and a 2s lipo battery. But then the idea of converting my truck into a ďMonsterSlashĒ came into my mind. It would look really cool, however Iím a little sceptical of converting. Here are my questions: (ps: when I say MonsterSlash, I assume that my truck would be brushless at the time)

1. Does the MonsterSlash have any drawbacks? Will the big wheels be too much for the engine to handle, and will something burn up, like the slipper clutch or something?

2. Does the Monster Slash offer any increase in performance? I want more traction for my truck, I want it to be better at off-roading than racing. Will my truck finally be able to go up the hill if itís a monsterslash? Will it stop getting stuck in weeds? Will it be better off-road?

3. Is there a way where I donít have to cut the body THAT much in order to fit the bigger wheels? Like adding some spacers or something that would lift up the body? The Ford Raptor body is pretty nice and I donít want to mess it up too bad, especially if I want to convert back to a normal slash.

Yeah so basically my main question is: Will the MonsterSlash conversion offer any performance upgrades, is it a good idea, or will it just be a mere ďcoolĒ look that would have more disadvantages than advantages? Again, I love my truck the way it is, I just want it to work a lot better off-road while still handling well (or better!) and having better speed at the same time.

Iím not exactly rich, so I want to make sure that every decision I make will be worth the money.

Thanks so much!

I assume you've watched the videos from Traxxas about converting? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXiYjoHBESU

There are other ways to do so. If you go with larger tires you'll need to gear down: smaller pinion and/or larger spur gear. You can lift the body either their way or purchase Pro-line's extended body kit.

It is still 2wd so with the larger tires you'll have a bigger footprint and maybe a little better traction but it still will get stuck.

I converted my son's to a Monster and I prefer the way it handles over stock.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Monster slash 2wd is probably the best handling 2wd Traxxas! Good traction from big tyres, Bellcrank steering, longer wheelbase and if you go 4x electric front wheels, wider track!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Monster slash 2wd is probably the best handling 2wd Traxxas! Good traction from big tyres, Bellcrank steering, longer wheelbase and if you go 4x electric front wheels, wider track!

Wait so I would have those things you mentioned (bellcrank steering, etc.) if I converted my stock slash 2wd to MonsterSlash?

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I assume you've watched the videos from Traxxas about converting? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXiYjoHBESU

There are other ways to do so. If you go with larger tires you'll need to gear down: smaller pinion and/or larger spur gear. You can lift the body either their way or purchase Pro-line's extended body kit.

It is still 2wd so with the larger tires you'll have a bigger footprint and maybe a little better traction but it still will get stuck.

I converted my son's to a Monster and I prefer the way it handles over stock.
    Thatís good to hear! Yes I did watch the video. I was skeptical because I read an amainhobbies comment saying that MonsterSlash does not increase performance. However you are saying it does, so now Iím more convinced into doing it. Will getting the Pro-Line Extended Body Kit reduce the amount of cutting needed for the body, so the wheels wonít rub? Oh yeah and I also contacted a Traxxas Representative and he said MonsterSlash would improve traction too. Iím thinking of getting 2.8 Proline trenchers for the wheels. What do you recommend, since you have a MonsterSlash?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-30-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenEagle View Post
    Thatís good to hear! Yes I did watch the video. I was skeptical because I read an amainhobbies comment saying that MonsterSlash does not increase performance. However you are saying it does, so now Iím more convinced into doing it. Will getting the Pro-Line Extended Body Kit reduce the amount of cutting needed for the body, so the wheels wonít rub? Oh yeah and I also contacted a Traxxas Representative and he said MonsterSlash would improve traction too. Iím thinking of getting 2.8 Proline trenchers for the wheels. What do you recommend, since you have a MonsterSlash?
    Trenchers are great! Make sure you get 4x fronts so you can rotate tires and get the extra width!

RC Enthusiast
    Trenchers are great! Make sure you get 4x fronts so you can rotate tires and get the extra width!

Sorry what do you mean by 4x fronts lol

The front and rear tires have different offsets on the 2wd Slash.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    You can get 2x different offset 2.8 rims as stampede/rustler use different length arms, front to rear.
    The electric fronts are a deep offset giving more track/width whilst rear rims are shallow offset.

Stock 2wd rustler/stampede require 2x different offset rims to acquire same track front and rear.

Stock 2wd slash has slightly different track front to rear as seen in stock wheels but only 3mm and hardly noticeable.

Extra track/width really helps as CentreOfGravity is raised with monster and highly recommend 4x same rims to rotate tires front rear for wear....

I'd look into the new proline 2.8 with replacement hexes and assortment of offsets plus the ability to upgrade to 17mm hex later...

Last edited by cooleocool; 01-30-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Alright let me see if I understand this lol, as you know I’m pretty new to this (sorry). So you are saying I should get Slash 4wd (that was 4x mean?) Trenchers tires, front and rear?

RC Racer
    Alright let me see if I understand this lol, as you know Iím pretty new to this (sorry). So you are saying I should get Slash 4wd (that was 4x mean?) Trenchers tires, front and rear?
    Get 2wd fronts for all, front n rear!

RC Enthusiast
    Get 2wd fronts for all, front n rear!

Ohh ok, and why exactly? Thanks so much for the advice guys I really appreciate it!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Alright let me see if I understand this lol, as you know Iím pretty new to this (sorry). So you are saying I should get Slash 4wd (that was 4x mean?) Trenchers tires, front and rear?
    Not slash 4wd rims and tires... 2.8 stampede size tires and rims...
    4x means 4 of each tire/rims. They are sold in pairs so you will need 2 packages of 2
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Not slash 4wd rims and tires... 2.8 stampede size tires and rims...
    4x means 4 of each tire/rims. They are sold in pairs so you will need 2 packages of 2
    Oh ok, I see know lol. So I should get 2.8Ē Trenchers Fronts for the front AND rear, but why? Thanks!

Because the offset in the rims are different.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Because the offset in the rims are different.
    Oh ok Iíll definitely do that, thanks!

I think a Castle Sidewinder SCT (even though the slash wonít technically even be a short course anymore) with 3800 KV, the water proofed sensored one should work?

Iím going to use a 2S Lipo battery. What is the best cheapest charger?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-30-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Castle 3800kv is great on 2s, plenty power.
    I just run a cheap eBay lipo charger and always put lipo on storage after use

RC Enthusiast
    Castle 3800kv is great on 2s, plenty power.
    I just run a cheap eBay lipo charger and always put lipo on storage after use

Oh ok good idea. How do you put a Lipo battery in storage. Should you charge it and put it into storage or should it be fully drained? And if you have to store it fully discharged but the battery isnít fully discharged, what do you do?

My son's Slash has the Sidewinder 3 ESC with 3800 motor powered by an SPC 5000mAh 2s battery and Duratrax Lockup MT (Stampede 2wd front offset) and it runs fine. I geared it down and put fans on it so he doesn't burn it up. I haven't taken official measurements but with the RPM offset-compensating arms the fronts look like they stick out further than the rear. I may buy a pair of stock front arms and if it brings them in a little.

Mini lesson of lipo batteries: Traxxas low-voltage setting (non-adjustable) is around 3.2v/cell. SPC (no longer in battery business) recommends 3.5v/cell if you are able to set it so that the battery does not over-discharge. If you do not plan on using the battery again for a while you at least want to get it to storage voltage of 3.8v/cell; you NEVER leave it fully discharged as it will permanently damage the battery. Most lipo chargers have this specific setting. Fully charged will be 4.2v/cell.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-30-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Most modern LCD screen lipo chargers have a setting/function for storage just like balance, fast, discharge and storage charge plus some have Lipo, lilo, life and LIHV (lipo high voltage) as well as NiMH, Nicd and pb lead battery (good to top up real car battery every now and then!)

I got a cheap dual htrc off fleebay, posted to Australia $80aud....
    LIHV, internal fan, 2x lipo at once, discharges both @ 1.2amp and 10amp X2 charge rate....

All have different storage voltages and certain manufacturers recommend different storage voltage per cell = 1S
    All approx and best check manufacturers recommendations:-
    1S = 3.8v. Fully charged 4.2v
    1SHV = 3.9volt. charged 4.35v
    2S = 7.6volt
    2SHV = 7.8volt

Lipo should not go below minimum voltage!
    Measured with NO/minimal load...
    1s = 3.7v
    1shv = 3.8v
    2s = 7.4v
    2shv = 7.6v

Last edited by Sparrow; 01-30-2019 at 09:13 PM.

RC Racer
    My son's Slash has the Sidewinder 3 ESC with 3800 motor powered by an SPC 5000mAh 2s battery and Duratrax Lockup MT (Stampede 2wd front offset) and it runs fine. I geared it down and put fans on it so he doesn't burn it up. I haven't taken official measurements but with the RPM offset-compensating arms the fronts look like they stick out further than the rear. I may buy a pair of stock front arms and if it brings them in a little.

Mini lesson of lipo batteries: Traxxas low-voltage setting (non-adjustable) is around 3.2v/cell. SPC (no longer in battery business) recommends 3.5v/cell if you are able to set it so that the battery does not over-discharge. If you do not plan on using the battery again for a while you at least want to get it to storage voltage of 3.8v/cell; you NEVER leave it fully discharged as it will permanently damage the battery. Most lipo chargers have this specific setting. Fully charged will be 4.2v/cell.
    Try the RPM wide rustler front arm for extra width and even more stability...
    Longer camber links and rustler rear arms required!

Also look into H/D axles, I run the 4x4 slash rear axle #6852 which have bigger universal joints and bit more plastic around the joints and cope well with 2S 4000kv brushless power....

RC Qualifier
    I noticed that rear RPM arms for slash 4x4 are longer than stock on 2wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I am another relatively new traxxas 2wd owner and have been contemplating conversion. I had similar questions and maybe I should start my own post but your answers previous questions/answers have been really helpful. Similar scenario to the original poster where I have a limited budget.

If you make the engine upgrades that are necessary for a monster slash is there ever a reason to revert back to the standard 2wd slash? The reason I ask is that I was going to slowly make upgrades as I break things. I already purchased upgraded shocks and planned to upgrade the engine and drive components in the next few months. I also wanted to get two types of tires. Sand/paddle type tires and then eventually upgrade to Monster/Larger Badland tires.

It sounds like slowly converting to a monster slash tires is not an option as all the upgrades recommended above for the monster slash need to be done at the same time. If I plan to eventually convert to a monster slash is it worth purchasing regular sand tires now and occasionally reverting to the smaller wheel setup? Or would you recommend waiting and buying both tires as monster size?

Thanks,

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_F5 View Post
    I am another relatively new traxxas 2wd owner and have been contemplating conversion. I had similar questions and maybe I should start my own post but your answers previous questions/answers have been really helpful. Similar scenario to the original poster where I have a limited budget.

If you make the engine upgrades that are necessary for a monster slash is there ever a reason to revert back to the standard 2wd slash? The reason I ask is that I was going to slowly make upgrades as I break things. I already purchased upgraded shocks and planned to upgrade the engine and drive components in the next few months. I also wanted to get two types of tires. Sand/paddle type tires and then eventually upgrade to Monster/Larger Badland tires.

It sounds like slowly converting to a monster slash tires is not an option as all the upgrades recommended above for the monster slash need to be done at the same time. If I plan to eventually convert to a monster slash is it worth purchasing regular sand tires now and occasionally reverting to the smaller wheel setup? Or would you recommend waiting and buying both tires as monster size?

Thanks,
    That’s a really good question. I think there still is a point to converting back to 2.2 tires since there are some advantages of having a short course truck, ie: short course racing, etc. I’d get the sand paws 2.8 tires, rather than 2.2, because I’m guessing that you’d have more traction with them than 2.2 (since they are bigger tires). Again, I my truck is stock, so I don’t really know any better, this is just my speculation. I’d do more off-roading stuff with 2.8 (monster) tires and racing with the smaller short course tires.

RC Enthusiast
    I was looking at my Traxxas Ford Raptor again this weekend, I noticed that the shocks really sucked. I want to upgrade them top priority. What shocks should I get. I want to get all 4 shocks, not only the front or the rear. I’d like the price to not exceed 100 dollars. Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    My son's Slash 2wd we converted to a monster slash. Three big things to note.

1. Heavier and larger tires means more stress on the motor. Also due to larger diameter = speed you will need to gear it down significantly. This also impacts the steering response a bit, but not horribly noticeable. Jumping is more cushioned now and can take a 7 year old bad driving... running into the curb at 20mph much better than it used to.

2. It does go through tall grass/weeds easily now and we go to a construction site where its wild dirt obstacles. It does better than the SCT tires but being a 2wd its just ok in my eyes.

3. Fitting a SCT body is not ideal. You will really want to go to a monster truck style body like the stampede has. My son likes Grave digger so we went that route with the red headlights and all. Looks pretty cool!

On a side note we took his monster slash to the indoor clay track and its handling was absolutely horrid (it has the proline cheveron MT style tires). SCT sized tires with the mini pin tread seem to be the best thing to use there at the track.

-Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 02-13-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    My son's Slash 2wd we converted to a monster slash. Three big things to note.

1. Heavier and larger tires means more stress on the motor. Also due to larger diameter = speed you will need to gear it down significantly. This also impacts the steering response a bit, but not horribly noticeable. Jumping is more cushioned now and can take a 7 year old bad driving... running into the curb at 20mph much better than it used to.

2. It does go through tall grass/weeds easily now and we go to a construction site where its wild dirt obstacles. It does better than the SCT tires but being a 2wd its just ok in my eyes.

3. Fitting a SCT body is not ideal. You will really want to go to a monster truck style body like the stampede has. My son likes Grave digger so we went that route with the red headlights and all. Looks pretty cool!

-Liberty
    1. Yep.
    2. Agreed 100%.
    3. A bit of cutting is needed on the SCT body so that the tires don't rub. There are certain conditions where the tires still rub. A Stampede body will eliminate it but takes away from the "scale" look.

I was looking at my Traxxas Ford Raptor again this weekend, I noticed that the shocks really sucked. I want to upgrade them top priority. What shocks should I get. I want to get all 4 shocks, not only the front or the rear. I’d like the price to not exceed 100 dollars. Thank you!
    Some recommend Pro-Line. I have the GTR found on the 4x4 Slash Ultimate.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor

You don't need to add bellcrank steering

<<Wait so I would have those things you mentioned (bellcrank steering, etc.) if I converted my stock slash 2wd to MonsterSlash?>>

No. By having a Raptor (which is a Slash with a different body) you already have bellcrank steering.
    Last edited by BMcD308; 02-14-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: messed up quoting the old post

RC Competitor
    TheGoldenEagle:

<<I read an amainhobbies comment saying that MonsterSlash does not increase performance. However you are saying it does, so now I’m more convinced into doing it.>>

It changes the performance. Bigger tires do not make the motor more powerful, but bigger tires give other advantages that most would consider a performance increase, particularly for a basher.

<< Will getting the Pro-Line Extended Body Kit reduce the amount of cutting needed for the body, so the wheels won’t rub?>>

Yes. In fact if you raise it enough, you won't have to cut at all. However, some do not like the look of the huge body lift required to clear big tires without trimming. If you don't trim the wheel wells some, there is a big gap between the chassis and the body.

<<I’m thinking of getting 2.8 Proline trenchers for the wheels.>>

Excellent choice.

RC Qualifier
    I was looking at my Traxxas Ford Raptor again this weekend, I noticed that the shocks really sucked. I want to upgrade them top priority. What shocks should I get. I want to get all 4 shocks, not only the front or the rear. Iíd like the price to not exceed 100 dollars. Thank you!
    I like the GTRs, but I LOVE the TLR 22SCT shocks! You can find the whole set on eBay for about $65 to $70 brand new. Buttery smooth and tons of spring options.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I have both a 2WD and a 4x4 Slash. I also have a 4x4 Stampede. I tryed the monster truck conversion on my 2WD before getting the 4x4 Slash. I have purchased a large variety of wheels, tires, and rims. With that said dollar for dollar you get at best a mild increase to rough terrain handling on the 2WD Slash but it still gets stuck constantly. And with the extra money spent to get the Monster conversion working you can just buy a 4x4 Slash. I suggest just investing into a 4x4 Slash go Monster with it and let the Slash 2WD do street/light off-road duty which it does ok at. The 4x4 Monster Slash is freaking awesome and can handle rough terrain beautifully. And consider the E-maxx (long)body if you don't want to trim alot or raise it to the moon.

The 2WD Slash monster conversion imo is more an expensive cosmetics upgrade than an increase to functionality.
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-18-2019 at 03:57 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I have both a 2WD and a 4x4 Slash. I also have a 4x4 Stampede. I tryed the monster truck conversion on my 2WD before getting the 4x4 Slash. I have purchased a large variety of wheels, tires, and rims. With that said dollar for dollar you get at best a mild increase to rough terrain handling on the 2WD Slash but it still gets stuck constantly. And with the extra money spent to get the Monster conversion working you can just buy a 4x4 Slash. I suggest just investing into a 4x4 Slash go Monster with it and let the Slash 2WD do street/light off-road duty which it does ok at. The 4x4 Monster Slash is freaking awesome and can handle rough terrain beautifully. And consider the E-maxx (long)body if you don't want to trim alot or raise it to the moon.

The 2WD Slash monster conversion imo is more an expensive cosmetics upgrade than an increase to functionality.
    Yeah that makes sense. However I donít think I can get a Slash 4x4 with the money Iíd use to buy some 2.8 trenchers and extended body mounts.... the Slash 4x4 is around 500 bucks where I live! So Iím gonna focus on more ďfundamentalĒ upgrades, and leave the monster slash stuff for the end (if I even do it). Remember, my Ford F-150 Raptor Slash is stock all the way and I donít exactly have too much money. I know the suspension is horrible, so Iím definitely going to get some good springs. I am considering the LCG chassis, however Iím a basher, not a racer, so I donít know if itís a worthy upgrade for me (if any of you can shed light on this subject, it will be appreciated!). If any of you have any upgrade suggestions for the slash 2wd, feel free to share.

Thanks again, all of you, for answering my many questions. I truly appreciate it.

RC Enthusiast
    This summer, I’m going to drive it and see where it needs improvement.

I use the LCG chassis on my 2WD and it is a great way to reduce traction rolling along with sway bars. I would suggest it for all 2WD Slash models and they should just junk the HCG chassis all together.

RC Qualifier
    I use the LCG chassis on my 2WD and it is a great way to reduce traction rolling along with sway bars. I would suggest it for all 2WD Slash models and they should just junk the HCG chassis all together.
    Agree, lcg chassis is maybe best upgrade for 2wd Slash.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    Agree, lcg chassis is maybe best upgrade for 2wd Slash.

Will it reduce any bashing capabilities? Will it make my RCís stance lower? I like my RC with a higher stance, I have the Ford Raptor model, so it looks cool with that ďtruckishĒ stance. But if the LCG chassis has only advantages and will not lower the stance or disable me from doing off-roading/bashing stuff, then yeah it seems awesome! Remember, Iím a basher all the way, I have no RC race tracks near me lol.

Oh and if anyone could also send me a link to some good springs and some good sway bars, Iíll appreciate it greatly.

RC Enthusiast
    a response form a rookie here too, so take my advise for what its worth, my son was running 2.8. trenchers on his slash 2wd and he spent his own money to buy bandlands. he jut bought a pair for the rear, those things work great! if you are planning on being 100% off road I would give those a hard look. my other son is running a 4x4 slash on stock wheel size with LCG and I cant believe how well it does for offroad, if there were badlands on that thing even with the LCG it would really be something. I have badlands on a 2wd (stock size) even in snow it does well, not paddle tire quality, but still really good.

Will it reduce any bashing capabilities? Will it make my RC’s stance lower? I like my RC with a higher stance, I have the Ford Raptor model, so it looks cool with that “truckish” stance. But if the LCG chassis has only advantages and will not lower the stance or disable me from doing off-roading/bashing stuff, then yeah it seems awesome! Remember, I’m a basher all the way, I have no RC race tracks near me lol.

Oh and if anyone could also send me a link to some good springs and some good sway bars, I’ll appreciate it greatly.
    If you are more about the scale look keeping the HCG chassis might be the right choice. But no the LCG chassis does not reduce off-road ability one bit. If anything the HCG chassis suffers hangup an debris. Where the LCG would just slide right over. It is also lighter with less area to get filled with debris. For me the LCG only has positive effects unless you want to go rock crawling I guess. But that is unheard of in a 2WD anything.

As for stance it has no effect since there is no change to the shock tower positions. The body connects to the shock towers and the shock towers connect to the wheels and their relation stays the same. It is everything in between those that is dropped down. Hold up your truck and look at how the diffs are lower than the bottom of the chassis the LCG is a straight level surface from diff to diff. The battery, ESC, and radio box all get lower and put into better positions.

RC Enthusiast
    If you are more about the scale look keeping the HCG chassis might be the right choice. But no the LCG chassis does not reduce off-road ability one bit. If anything the HCG chassis suffers hangup an debris. Where the LCG would just slide right over. It is also lighter with less area to get filled with debris. For me the LCG only has positive effects unless you want to go rock crawling I guess. But that is unheard of in a 2WD anything.

As for stance it has no effect since there is no change to the shock tower positions. The body connects to the shock towers and the shock towers connect to the wheels and their relation stays the same. It is everything in between those that is dropped down. Hold up your truck and look at how the diffs are lower than the bottom of the chassis the LCG is a straight level surface from diff to diff. The battery, ESC, and radio box all get lower and put into better positions.
    Thanks so much! Yeah this seems like a cool upgrade. I don’t like the blue color that it comes, is there any black ones? (I’m being picky here lol).

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks so much! Yeah this seems like a cool upgrade. I don’t like the blue color that it comes, is there any black ones? (I’m being picky here lol).
    Would this be good?:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra5832/p272511

I have seen black ones but I don't know if they were bought or dyed somehow.

EDIT: Yup that would work perfect. Nice find.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast