RC poster

Rustler VXL to Slash with LCG Kit from Traxxas

Howdy,

New to the hobby! Just converted my new Rustler VXL to Slash as I cracked the rustler's chassis. Picked up Traxxas' LCG Kit, bumpers, body mounts, RPM rear A-Arms and did the switch over. Pretty psych'd about 95% of the Rustler part being the same for Slash. Still need a body and the 2.2 wheels & tires. All in, under $100 for the transition.
    I had been going to the LHS prior to this rustler to Slash conversion a few times to practice on their indoor Clay Track. Had a blast and was hooked. It was then that I realized Slash 2WD was a better way to pursue my goal to race. The rustler, as I learned, was best for bashing speed etc. Wish I knew that earlier though.

Since I just completed the build, and still need tires and a body, I wanted to ask for feedback on what to get. I read that it's cheaper to get buggy wheels vs. Bead lock wheels, but due to lack of experience with this, I'm confused about trying that option out. Advice on pros cons here please?

Lastly, bodies, I bought and painted a Poline Bulldog body when it was the Rustler, painted it, but lots of time & money AND I broke that in less than two weeks (bashing of course).

I really like the Proline Flo-Tek Ford Raptor, but thinking I might buy the precut/painted version. Saving me the time & money, thoughts on their precut & painted bodies? $86 is about right vs. Time, but wanted some feedback from people who went the pre-painted route.

Thanks, Joe

RC Qualifier
    You want short course wheels not 2.2 buggy wheels. Beadlocks are heavier, so usually not conducive to racing.

RC Champion
    I would do SC wheels over buggy wheels. I'm about to get a rustler this weekend or the next and I may do the slash lcg kit as well but I want more of a yeti prerunner kind of look. Ya got some pictures?
    Last edited by ManDime; 11-21-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC poster
    Here are pictures after the build, I did a test run last night - controlling the car from inside of my house - its really cold outside!

Adds:
    RPM Tranny Case using -3 Rear Camber set Up
    32P 54T Spur Gear
    32P 17T Pinion Gear
    Traxxas Big Bore Shocks with 50Weight Silicon Oil
    Tekno M6 1951X Rear Kit
    RPM Front and Rear A-Arms
    RPM Front & Rear Shock Towers
    Traxxas Front Aluminum Steering & Caster Blocks
    Venom 4200 NiMh Batt
    Venom 2S C20 5000mAh LiPo

I thought the 32P gearing would help with durrability and the gearing would allow me to slow the car down for control, but I see this gearing as too slow and very loud. Looking to change that out and thinking I'll go back to 48P with 90T Spur and 19T Pinion. It seems popular anyhow.
    Thanks for the advice on the wheels. So Short Course 2.2 wheels with some mix of Suburban and Bowtie for tires. Does it save money buying pre glued wheels? Seems like a lot of people have tons of wheel set ups and since its costly, are most buying pre-glued or going the - wheel + foam + tire route? I want to order this stuff today i've read a lot, just little experiance on buying the right stuff the first time...

I realize nothing beats practice time for overall improovment, but appreciate your experiance here and in the overall set up of what I have thus far.

Have you tried reinforcing the Bulldog with some duct tape and shoe goo? You might be able to save it. You can also put mesh drywall tape and cover that with glue.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

is the traxxas LCG kit the only item required to make the conversion to a slash ? wanting to to this for my son for Christmas. Am actually considering the proline conversion kit but a little pricey
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Champion
    I'm about to do the same thing except run it with a true scale body and rustler bumpers.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC poster
    Good evening or good morning everyone...'m hoping somebody could help. I'm new to this I'm having rustler VXL 2 wheel drive and I have all the Hop up parts almost available. I just purchased the lcg kit for supposedly the rustler but the guy at the hobby shop and on the back of the package says for the Slash and it is the blue lcg kit. I haven't looked for putting together just yet but I started taking apart my rustler and I noticed one thing is on the receiver box I do not see a place on the new lcg frame where I would place it the screws do not match up in any location...can someone please point me in the right direction or send me pictures of how they did theirs ..please thank you thank you thank

Quote Originally Posted by JOE67USMC View Post
    Howdy,

New to the hobby! Just converted my new Rustler VXL to Slash as I cracked the rustler's chassis. Picked up Traxxas' LCG Kit, bumpers, body mounts, RPM rear A-Arms and did the switch over. Pretty psych'd about 95% of the Rustler part being the same for Slash. Still need a body and the 2.2 wheels & tires. All in, under $100 for the transition.
    I had been going to the LHS prior to this rustler to Slash conversion a few times to practice on their indoor Clay Track. Had a blast and was hooked. It was then that I realized Slash 2WD was a better way to pursue my goal to race. The rustler, as I learned, was best for bashing speed etc. Wish I knew that earlier though.

Since I just completed the build, and still need tires and a body, I wanted to ask for feedback on what to get. I read that it's cheaper to get buggy wheels vs. Bead lock wheels, but due to lack of experience with this, I'm confused about trying that option out. Advice on pros cons here please?

Lastly, bodies, I bought and painted a Poline Bulldog body when it was the Rustler, painted it, but lots of time & money AND I broke that in less than two weeks (bashing of course).

I really like the Proline Flo-Tek Ford Raptor, but thinking I might buy the precut/painted version. Saving me the time & money, thoughts on their precut & painted bodies? $86 is about right vs. Time, but wanted some feedback from people who went the pre-painted route.

Thanks, Joe