Thread: RedRush1 Build

RC poster

RedRush1 Build

I have been out of R/C for years but purchased a Stampede 4x4 VXL for my 7 year old for Christmas. So far the rear shock cap popped off but other then that it's been flawless. It's gone into thermal protection twice becuase I hadn't vented the J-Concepts tray yet, but now it's vented and all good minus the motor getting slightly warm (160f).

So far we've done:

J-Concepts Illusions Overtray
    tra6893x Aluminum Bearing Adapter
    Proline 1186-15 2.8" Sand Paws on F-11 wheels
    tra3340 ESC Cooling Fan
    tra7461x GTR Shocks - Long
    tra7462x GTR Shocks - XX-Long
    Team Associated 40w Shock Oil
    tra7445 GTR Spring - Pink - Long
    tra7447 GTR Spring - Pink - XX-Long
    tra1747r 4mm Blue Serrated Aluminum Wheel Nuts
    tra5351 Revo Slipper Clutch Plates
    tra5352r Aluminum Slipper Pads

In route are:

King Headz Aluminum Motor Mount w/ Oversized Bearing
    Proline Adjustable Body Mounts
    GPM Black Aluminum Castor Blocks w/ Bearings
    Pre-Painted eBay Stampede Beetle Body in Black and Orange

Next is:

Motor Heatsink and Fan
    XO-1 Diffs w/ I-Bar
    XO-1 Driveshafts Front and Rear
    XO-1 Hub Carriers Front and Rear

It runs great on snow but when it's this light and fluffy, and 2 feet deep, it just sinks in.
    Now if the snow would settle down we could actually run this beast!!!

Questions:

1: Anyone use the GPM Castor Blocks Yet?

2: Recommendations on Motor heatsinks and fans?
    Last edited by RedRush1; 01-27-2019 at 05:48 PM.

RC poster
    New motor mount is in and it fit perfectly.

Got the GPM Castor Blocks on and they're sweeet! Bearings for the shoulder screws ftw...

Got the new body as well, for $20 it was a no brainer. The new body mounts make it fit on perfectly with the Sand Paws.

We ordered the Hot Racing Adjustable Steering Bellcrank setup so that'll go on as soon as it arrives too.
    Last edited by RedRush1; 02-07-2019 at 09:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome back to the addiction!

Looks like you have done your homework on upgrades.
    The P4de VXL was my first RC too, after a hiatus of thirty years away from the hobby.

I use a Dusty Motors shroud instead of an overtray to keep debris and snow out, and have no heat issues even without a fan on the motor (2S geared 52/12).
    http://www.dustymotors.com/

However, I do have a single fan on the motor just as a precaution.
    Any single fan/heatsink will do, but if you have high cooling needs a Wild Turbo Fan could be the one you are looking for:
    https://www.wildturbofan.com/

RC poster
    Thanks Viking...

I'll probably get a mesh style dust cover for summer months so that it doesn't get so hot as with the hard shell cover.

I like the fan, now to find a decent heat sink for it...hmmm

RC poster
    So, we've upgraded to MIP X-Duty CVD's front and rear. Used heat shrink over the pins to keep them from ejecting if the set screws happen to loosen up at all.

Next I'll be buying a Slash 4x4 Ultimate so he has someone to run with... updates to come

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRush1 View Post

Next I'll be buying a Slash 4x4 Ultimate so he has someone to run with... updates to come
    This was my first car back after 30 years out of the hobby also. Great truck until I blew out the front dif. I have bought 3 new cars since then. The slash ult is currently torn down to the chassis for the fix with lots of upgraded parts to go in it, I just haven't had the ambition to sit and build it with the snow (and 3 other trucks to play with on tolerable weather days) but the weather has finally turned so that rebuild should finally happen soon I hope.

RC poster
    So here's an updated on RedRush1 -

This is my 8 year olds first RC. He wants as much blue on it as possible, why it's named RedRush1 is beyond me.

He saw me racing my Durango's (1/10 2wd SC, 1/10 4wd SC, and 1/10 2wd Buggy) years ago (he was 3 offer so) when we had a local track (an hour drive away) and loved it. I fell out if the hobby, no local shops or tracks after Redneck RC closed. Plus the wife and the kids and the house and the job lol.

We got him a Traxxas Stampede VXL 4x4 w/ 4-pole motor (Blue) for Christmas of 2018. It's been a blast since!

He drives it in 50% mode 99% of the time. When we have some big snow ramps he'll go 100% mode and gets out of his mind excited! He's almost driving to the point that he can go 100% all the time, but that'll only be when I'm supervising, at least for the near future.

So here's were we stand.

Mods aready completed;

Pre-painted Buggy Beetle body trimmed for the Pro-Line Sand Paws
    49mm Aluminium front tie rods
    39mm Aluminum rear tie rods
    Aluminum slipper bearing adapter
    MIP X-Duty CVD's - Pins are heat shrinked
    Blue aluminium 4mm flanged wheel nuts
    Grey GTR shocks - Traxxas pink rated springs - X-L Front & XX-L Rear - This setup will be for sale soon. Shocks and springs are included, shocks will be filled with the current oil. Filled and setup with no rebound a month ago. Approximately 20 packs run on them, most in 50% mode. No leaks, no issues. MAKE A SERIOUS OFFER.
    40w AE shock oil F&R
    Trimmed bost posts to lower the body
    JConcepts Under Tray w/ vent holes
    Pro-Line Sand Paws premounted on 12mm F11 wheels
    Revo slipper clutch upgrade
    HR adjustable aluminum bellcrank
    Black aluminum GPM castor blocks with shoulder screw bearings
    King Headz motor mount
    T-Bone XV4 front bumper
    Traxxas VXL-3s cooling fan

2x Turning 5600mAh 50-100C 2s batteries with custom ProTek low profile "Super Bullet" 4mm bullet connectors to female Traxxas HC connector adapter

Hitec X1 AC Plus 6S/6A/50W charger

Mods to come;

2400Kv Motor and VXL-4s ESC combo from my Traxxas Maxx if possible, well see if it fits. If so the MAXX goes 6s via a VXL-6s combo.

Traxxas aluminum motor plate
    Shortened E-Maxx front outer suspension pins
    XO-1 Front aluminum C-Hubs
    XO-1 Rear aluminum Hubs
    49mm Aluminum steering rods
    RPM rear shock towers F&R
    Blue GTR shocks - XX-L F&R - VG blue springs - XX-L F&R

Questions;

17mm hex adapters - Recommendations? Must work with MIP X-duty CVD's.

Upgraded servo and servo horn - Recommendations? 6v, high speed, high torque, waterproof (Other ideas, BEC, etc. entertained)

3s & 4s Batteries - Much research needed still. Recommendations?

P.S. I'm getting a MAXX instead of a Slash...Yummmmy
    Last edited by RedRush1; 03-13-2020 at 05:19 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    This was my first car back after 30 years out of the hobby also. Great truck until I blew out the front dif. I have bought 3 new cars since then. The slash ult is currently torn down to the chassis for the fix with lots of upgraded parts to go in it, I just haven't had the ambition to sit and build it with the snow (and 3 other trucks to play with on tolerable weather days) but the weather has finally turned so that rebuild should finally happen soon I hope.
    I had a 2wd Slash years ago, it was a blast! But with no track's around me, it's basher or bust i figure at this point. MAXX time for me.

I've had my sets of mips in my p4des for many years no need for heat shrink tube if put together correctly itll be very hard to break set screw loose even when doing your maintenance on them every so often. Use heat to loosen set screw when time comes.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...