RC poster

New Fiesta ST Rally --- Not Fast enough! Upgrade Advice???

Hi guys,

been lurking on this forum for years. Never really posted much, but I need some advice and I can't seem to find exactly what I need to know.

A little background; I've got an old E-Revo I converted from 3.3 gas to MM electric power, and also a slash 2x4 that I've upgraded to Sidewinder brushless power. I use these mostly for parking lot bash sessions. I have several 2S batteries so I tend to run 2S in the slash 2x4, and 4s in the Revo. I also bought my brothers E-Revo (5608) years ago because he wasn't really into RC much, and it's mostly just sat on the shelf.

I just got a new Fiesta ST 1/10 rally because I was really wanting to be able to drift around objects and play out in parking lots more. Problem is that with the brushed motor unless its in a parking garage, or some other lower friction surface the brushed motor just doesn't have the muscle to break all 4 tires loose on command.

I'm looking to go faster and have more torque, but not looking to break any land speed records.

I'm thinking of taking the castle creations MM ESC and 2200KV brushless motor out of the old E-Revo I have just sitting there, and transplant it into my Rally. What do you guys think? I'll be running mostly on 2S and I'm thinking of getting a 3S battery or two to run in it as well.

1st question : Is this even reasonable?? (I know I'm looking to upgrade parts to make it durable enough, see questions below. I'm asking here if that ESC / Motor combo in this vehicle will work for what I'm looking to do with it ???)

2nd question : I know I'm gonna need some parts to make this happen. As best I can tell the new rally is the LCG slash chassis with the narrower a-arms. Is this correct?? I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade to the revo style clutch and a better drive shaft?? I think i'm gonna need a new motor plate as well and a MM mounting plate. I see everyone talking about the 2650 motor and which motor plates work for that or the 2400 ones. I just need to know which motor plate would work for the 2200 motor?? Will this motor physically fit in this chassis?? Part numbers for any of these things would be extremely helpful!!

3rd question : I really need some advice on which gears to use. I don't really understand what size pinion that motor has, or which gear pitch I need. That stuff kinda confuses me. In the past I just tended to just find someone else's build on here and then copy what they did that worked well. I can't seem to find anyone's rally build on here with this motor/ESC combo, so I'm turning to you for help!

4th question : Whats the best chassis brace to use with this combo??

Anything else I need to know??

Thanks in advance for the help!

RC poster

To OP

Quote Originally Posted by DucDoc View Post
    Hi guys,

been lurking on this forum for years. Never really posted much, but I need some advice and I can't seem to find exactly what I need to know.

A little background; I've got an old E-Revo I converted from 3.3 gas to MM electric power, and also a slash 2x4 that I've upgraded to Sidewinder brushless power. I use these mostly for parking lot bash sessions. I have several 2S batteries so I tend to run 2S in the slash 2x4, and 4s in the Revo. I also bought my brothers E-Revo (5608) years ago because he wasn't really into RC much, and it's mostly just sat on the shelf.

I just got a new Fiesta ST 1/10 rally because I was really wanting to be able to drift around objects and play out in parking lots more. Problem is that with the brushed motor unless its in a parking garage, or some other lower friction surface the brushed motor just doesn't have the muscle to break all 4 tires loose on command.

I'm looking to go faster and have more torque, but not looking to break any land speed records.

I'm thinking of taking the castle creations MM ESC and 2200KV brushless motor out of the old E-Revo I have just sitting there, and transplant it into my Rally. What do you guys think? I'll be running mostly on 2S and I'm thinking of getting a 3S battery or two to run in it as well.

1st question : Is this even reasonable?? (I know I'm looking to upgrade parts to make it durable enough, see questions below. I'm asking here if that ESC / Motor combo in this vehicle will work for what I'm looking to do with it ???)

2nd question : I know I'm gonna need some parts to make this happen. As best I can tell the new rally is the LCG slash chassis with the narrower a-arms. Is this correct?? I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade to the revo style clutch and a better drive shaft?? I think i'm gonna need a new motor plate as well and a MM mounting plate. I see everyone talking about the 2650 motor and which motor plates work for that or the 2400 ones. I just need to know which motor plate would work for the 2200 motor?? Will this motor physically fit in this chassis?? Part numbers for any of these things would be extremely helpful!!

3rd question : I really need some advice on which gears to use. I don't really understand what size pinion that motor has, or which gear pitch I need. That stuff kinda confuses me. In the past I just tended to just find someone else's build on here and then copy what they did that worked well. I can't seem to find anyone's rally build on here with this motor/ESC combo, so I'm turning to you for help!

I hope this comes through correctly as Iím extremely new to forums. Iíll start with question four. Negative to chassis brace. Do not. Some have had luck but others not. Big air time creates stress on the chassis with the brace and the brace will make things worse, as Iíve heard and read online. The original chassis needs to flex, and this is just my opinion. Number 3depends on the system you use. More power and you can use taller gears for speed or lower gears for torque. Depends on your needs. Are you racing or bashing? Me? I bash, I donít have a track or course that I know of near me so I totally bash so lower gears works for me. 2 I donít think you would need to change anything. I run an unbranded 2260kv motor on the factory plate on 4s with a Redcat 4s 120 amp ESC. Stop looking down on me, it was cheap and after a year Iíve had zero problems, lol! 1 yes very feasible! Traxxas and CC support are easy to talk to and easy to work with. CC (castle creations) will say yay or nay since this upgrade occurs often. Iím not a source of great information but Iíve destroyed, broken, burned up, and abanded projects and ideas and I have came back from the ashes. Good luck, I hope this helps. Iím an newbies too just being in the hobby two years since November-ish 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDoc View Post
    Hi guys,

DON'T USE A CHASSIS BRACE. plz

I will start by just saying yes what you want is completely possible and done often. With that said it is way more than you need to do what you are looking to do. It is a heavy motor requiring a heavy ESC and extensive upgrades plus being lighter has its benefits especially drifting.
    Personally I would suggest the Castle 1415 2400kv 5mm shaft & Mamba X combo, Revo slipper with metal pads, XO-1 diffs, and Traxxas metal CVDs. I would stay with the stock center shaft till you have or see problems and check it often with mostly on-road time it should be able to hold up. I would also consider 17mm wheel hexes.

You could possibly save some money with a MAX10 combo but others will have to shed light on that for you because haven't used that stuff yet.