RC poster

Parallel connector issue

Hi everybody, I have a 1/16 e-revo VXL and recently purchased a parallel and a serial connector from Traxxas. I am using the series connector with my NiMh batteries for more speed and I was planning to connect my two 2s lipo batteries with the parallel connector but it looks like Traxxas modified the plugs and only NiMh batteries can be connected with it. I can adjust the plugs, no problem , but I was wondering why would Traxxas not allow using lipos with their parallel connector?? Is there a safety issue or what? I take care of my lipos as per manufacturer specifications and never take shortcuts when charging them, I always balance charge them etc.. If you guys know please explain briefly, I would highly appreciate it. Thank you.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't know, sorry, but I would recommend emailing them if you have a question.

RC Competitor
    Hello and welcome to the forum, Ceramist! I'm a veteran of two posts now.

I noticed the same thing. I just checked the tag on my parallel connector after confirming my 2823x lipo batteries won't plug into the connector. The tag mentions only the Traxxas NiMH 2925 batteries are to be used with the connector.

No idea why that is. I bought an aftermarket parallel connector. Wire gauge appears to be the same, assuming the insulation is the same thickness.

RC poster
    I bought two 2s traxxas lipos for my merv yesterday and used a file to get rid of the burrs on each connector that were preventing me from using my parallel adapter. No problems so far but if you hear anything from traxxas on the matter - I would definitely be interested as to why they decided to restrict the parallel connector to NiMH batterys only.... On another note, I've had this truck for about three weeks now and the shocks leak like a sieve.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, they sadly changed the connectors so that you can only use NiMH batteries on the parallel connector. I have the older version that can take Lipos and I have the new version aswell because I wanted another one. I see no difference in them. BUT if you want to try to use Lipos with the parallel connector you can file this part off (in the link picture) https://imgur.com/a/1Yxvaym
    https://imgur.com/P9NZ53X

I do NOT suggest this as it is dangerous because im not sure what can the parallel connector hold. It is only if you want to. Hope you find this useful

RC Competitor
    I'm at the point of which I'm leaning toward just removing the Traxxas connectors and soldering on EC3 connectors, although I haven't looked too closely at them. I bought some EC5 connectors for my ERBE, and they seem like they'd be somewhat big for the Merv. I like how the wire is soldered into a cup on the pins, providing contact on the full circumference. The contact area between male/female connectors is large, too.

Bought a Hakko soldering iron and haven't used it yet. Seems like a good opportunity. Just placed an order for EC3 connectors.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by devzero View Post
    I'm at the point of which I'm leaning toward just removing the Traxxas connectors and soldering on EC3 connectors, although I haven't looked too closely at them. I bought some EC5 connectors for my ERBE, and they seem like they'd be somewhat big for the Merv. I like how the wire is soldered into a cup on the pins, providing contact on the full circumference. The contact area between male/female connectors is large, too.

Bought a Hakko soldering iron and haven't used it yet. Seems like a good opportunity. Just placed an order for EC3 connectors.
    About that. You really can't change Traxxas ID LiPo connectors. If you look at the battery the balance plug it's not there. That's why they are called ID batteries. You see the balance plug is integrated into the connector. That's why you really cant change the connectors on a Traxxas LiPo battery.

Edit: But I suggest buying adapters so you can use another brand of parallel connector.
    Last edited by Snakesteri; 04-06-2019 at 02:40 AM.

RC Competitor
    I was thinking along the lines of giving up on the Traxxas batteries and using 3rd party. I have only 2 sets, one lipo and NiMH set. I have two sets of 3rd party batteries, ones I anticipate using more than the Traxxas ones. The NiMH set has no ID related wiring, it's just two leads coming out of the battery, so that set could be converted with no problem. Actually, I can just build a custom parallel connector with Traxxas connectors for the batteries and a EC3 connector to the ESC. I'll also make a full EC3 parallel for everything else, put a EC3 connector on the ESC, and everything should be good.

I have adapters for the non-Traxxas connectors on my batteries, and between those adapters, the parallel adapter and the connector on the batteries (Deans t-plug), there's just too much crap to cram under the roll cage and above the anti-sway bar kit I have installed. It's a huge mess. I run this with no body, so there's always something sticking outside of the roll cage. Not a good situation for electrical connections/wires.

I suppose Traxxas batteries and connectors are great if you're all in on the battery charger and everything else from Traxxas. It's a nice package that provides an easy way of handling the batteries and getting the information you want about them. It cleanses the mystery behind charging lipos. Plug 'n play. This is good for some people.

I want some other options, such as higher C ratings and higher capacity batteries. Adapters on larger vehicles aren't so much a problem, but on the Merv, it's bulky and not a good option if you're running two batteries and a parallel/serial adapter.

I'm using a small Tenergy single battery charger that works well enough, so I'm not going to lose anything on the charger side of things. I'll need something different in the long run, but for now it's fine.

Looks like I have some soldering to do.

RC poster

Found this which states you can use lipo in parallel

https://traxxas.com/support/Dual-Batteries-116-Models

Traxxas support says you can use batteries in parallel but says nothing about lipos not being safe.

I've ran two 11.1 volt 3S batteries in parallel for years with the EC3 connectors and SMC batteries on my Merv's.

Traxxas made the series and parallel connectors a certain way in order to prevent people from accidentally running two 3S batteries in series versus their NiMh batteries.

Anyhow, the fail safe in the ESC will detect an over volt situation and blink a certain sequence of lights if you accidentally hook more than 15 plus volts to it. I remember trying back in the days before they started monopolizing their connectors.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-05-2019 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added additional information.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ceramist View Post
    Hi everybody, I have a 1/16 e-revo VXL and recently purchased a parallel and a serial connector from Traxxas. I am using the series connector with my NiMh batteries for more speed and I was planning to connect my two 2s lipo batteries with the parallel connector but it looks like Traxxas modified the plugs and only NiMh batteries can be connected with it. I can adjust the plugs, no problem , but I was wondering why would Traxxas not allow using lipos with their parallel connector?? Is there a safety issue or what? I take care of my lipos as per manufacturer specifications and never take shortcuts when charging them, I always balance charge them etc.. If you guys know please explain briefly, I would highly appreciate it. Thank you.
    I have same issue, do you manage to solve it somehow? Is there way how to connect 2 traxxas lipos in parallel?