RC Qualifier

How to fix blown up tires.

Hey guys. During the cold season in cali, I purchased a castle 4600 kv motor, and a double cooling fan + heatsink. Because it was cold, and I had the overkill cooling system, i used a 17t pinion on the motor... I also used the stock rtr tires that came on my redcat. They blew up off the first triple backflip jump. What is some material that would work to fix them? I have shoe goo, jb weld for plumbing, jb weld stuff that you mix, and it becomes plasticky, blue loctite, and superglue. What would be the best out of these options? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    New tires. Nothing can really bring them back. Some say "glue it itll be fine" but it doesnt work.

RC Qualifier
    OOF. Also today, the rear tire became unglued in one spot, probably due to ballooning. It is only partially off the rim... is this possible to fix?

If that is the only problem, just make sure that the foam is correctly seated on the wheel and go ahead and use CA glue to remount the tire to the wheel.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    CA glue? What is CA glue?

The glue one would use to glue rc tires to rc rims.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Super glue.

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys. During the cold season in cali, I purchased a castle 4600 kv motor, and a double cooling fan + heatsink. Because it was cold, and I had the overkill cooling system, i used a 17t pinion on the motor... I also used the stock rtr tires that came on my redcat. They blew up off the first triple backflip jump. What is some material that would work to fix them? I have shoe goo, jb weld for plumbing, jb weld stuff that you mix, and it becomes plasticky, blue loctite, and superglue. What would be the best out of these options? Thanks.
    I use Loctite 404 and it's worked extremely well for my tires.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW7DyGnVnVw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIrw5dPu2E0&t=2s

CA = CyanoAcrylate = superglue

Although many rc companies make CA glue for tires, you can just use regular superglue.

RC Qualifier
    ok thx all

Hey guys. During the cold season in cali,
    Seeing as I'm in WI and you're in CA, this made me chuckle.It was -25F last night...lol. Sorry I'm no help with your tire issue. Hope you get it all fixed up. Good luck and above all stay warm!! lol
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    lol. how many a arms have you broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Seeing as I'm in WI and you're in CA, this made me chuckle.It was -25F last night...lol. above all stay warm!! lol
    Right?! Taken this morning on my way to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Super Derecho

From running in cold?? I don't run in this cold....you'd have to be nuts! A few minutes outside is a bit dangerous. I do run when it's in the 30s though. If you don't hit stuff or do big jumps it's not an issue

My doggy and my Slash playing on the pond down the street

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Right?! Taken this morning on my way to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep! Crazy cold!! Used to a day or so of zero type temps. Not almost 72 hrs of those type temps! Brrrrr! 40s by Monday...almost a 70F swing in a few days!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Tomorrow’s low is supposed to be 47F... brrrrr!

-47 to some of you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    -47 to some of you guys!
    Pretty sure that's the wind chill factor tonight. 45f by Sunday which will feel awesome!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Well my exhaust headers just started leaking... tick tick tick they go. Not surprised. Insane heat cycles for the good old 4.6 platform lol.

Yup... tick tick tick sounds like exhaust headers or manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    From running in cold?? I don't run in this cold....you'd have to be nuts! A few minutes outside is a bit dangerous...
    You have to feel your hands to break your arms, lol.

Regular super glue has worked well for me in the past.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Alright thx all...

RC Enthusiast
    Actually that makes me laugh as well except in the -30 I actually did run my rusty 4x4 AND nothing broke.

RC Qualifier
    What kind of runs did you do? Like speed runs, and donuts on ice or whatever, or heavy bashing? Consider yourself extremely lucky that your car is not broken in many spots lol. But seriously, watch those temps when driving in a rough way. Have fun all...

RC Competitor
    I'm in the South. Those temps are insane. 60* high today. I'm riding my motorcycle.

RC Enthusiast
    I was pretty much doing donuts and speedruns, and kinda trying to learn how to drive on two wheels. From inside the house of course

RC Competitor
    This made me laugh. I seen u post on here a lot and are pretty knowledgeable for a youngster but CA glue is a basic of RC 101. Where would we be without it. No offense intended as we can't know everything but I did get a kick out of it.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah. I know. As you said, I am young, so there are lots of things I do not know much about. By the way, the superglue is working great, but what do you think of using it in water? Will it dissolve or will it be fine? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    If you vent your tires and it’s already working fine, there should be no issues.

RC Qualifier
    Today both of the rear tires came loose again... Is there any stronger glue that is suggested? I am running the high speed 17t pinion gear with the stock motor, so it will balloon more, so just keep that in mind.

RC Competitor
    Yeah. I know. As you said, I am young, so there are lots of things I do not know much about. By the way, the superglue is working great, but what do you think of using it in water? Will it dissolve or will it be fine? Thanks.
    I don't think super glue will dissolve in water no more than CA will.

RC Competitor
    Today both of the rear tires came loose again... Is there any stronger glue that is suggested? I am running the high speed 17t pinion gear with the stock motor, so it will balloon more, so just keep that in mind.
    I don't know if their is anything stronger than CA. CA is some bada** stuff. I've always used "Thin CA" Tower Hobbies brand. Had a bottle for years. Keep in refrigerator it last LONG time. A little goes a long way.

When I mount new tires and wheels I first wipe the bead of tires and wheels with alcohol on a piece of cloth on both sides where they seat together. This removes any residue of release agents. Get tires and foams seated on wheels then lay them flat and do one side at a time.

Press down on tire where it seats on bead of wheel and apply a few drops of thin CA then release finger. It wicks in place. Do this at least 4 times around the tire. No matter if you're glueing one or all 4 let them sit flat at least several hours, preferably overnight. Then do the other side the same way.

This is the way I've always done mine and never had a tire come off the wheel seat. I've had jatos with 2.5s, 3.3s, OS 18 engines that ballooned the tires as much as my Rustler VXL 2wds.

Not trying to tell you how to glue tires, just making suggestions of what always worked for me since you're having issues with ballooning. Always take my time and do a good clean install pays off because let's face it a set of tires and wheels aren't necessarily cheap.

Also it may be difficult trying to re-glue tires and wheels with grime and dirt and caked on CA to get the bead to stick.

RC Competitor
    I don't know if their is anything stronger than CA. CA is some bada** stuff. I've always used "Thin CA" Tower Hobbies brand. Had a bottle for years. Keep in refrigerator it last LONG time. A little goes a long way.

When I mount new tires and wheels I first wipe the bead of tires and wheels with alcohol on a piece of cloth on both sides where they seat together. This removes any residue of release agents. Get tires and foams seated on wheels then lay them flat and do one side at a time.

Press down on tire where it seats on bead of wheel and apply a few drops of thin CA then release finger. It wicks in place. Do this at least 4 times around the tire. No matter if you're glueing one or all 4 let them sit flat at least several hours, preferably overnight. Then do the other side the same way.

This is the way I've always done mine and never had a tire come off the wheel seat. I've had jatos with 2.5s, 3.3s, OS 18 engines that ballooned the tires as much as my Rustler VXL 2wds.

Not trying to tell you how to glue tires, just making suggestions of what always worked for me since you're having issues with ballooning. Always take my time and do a good clean install pays off because let's face it a set of tires and wheels aren't necessarily cheap.

Also it may be difficult trying to re-glue tires and wheels with grime and dirt and caked on CA to get the bead to stick.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. So the tire is doing the same exact thing, even though I glued the tire to the rim. It performs like a shredded tire, but I have yet to find a single hole. Any suggestions as to why this is?

RC Enthusiast
    If you're gluing tires, it's a good idea to scuff the bead with a Scotchbrite pad or some fine sandpaper. Then wipe with some acetone or lacquer thinner to remove all contaminants--just be sure to wear gloves when you do. Those are nasty chemicals!

The interesting thing about CA glues is, they have very poor shear strength. Usually a shear load will break the bond. They also dry harder than most plastics, which is a pain in the keister when you're using them for plastic modeling.