RC Enthusiast

Brushed motor died, what cheap motor should I replace it with?

I have an old stampede (at least 4-5 years old 2wd) and the brushed motor is being finnicky and not working. What cheap brushless motor should I replace it with? Please include links if you can.

My model was advertised as 30+mph, and I'd like to be able to get the same or maybe even to the 40mph range on flat pavement in 2wd. I will buy an esc if it'd be more fun on 3s, but I am looking to keep the price as low as possible to hit that 40mph.
    Last edited by TeachMeCars; 01-29-2019 at 11:02 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I see the xl-5 esc cannot be used with brushless motors. Any cheap combos out there? Or just get a brushed motor?

RC Qualifier
    It's been awhile since I've been on here, so I don't know if the rules permit, or of the brand is still around. But I put a leapord 60a combo in my 2wd pede and I love it. I run it on 2s and have never clocked my speed but I'm guessing I get around 35 out of it on 2's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    It's the 10t 3930kv combo. About 50$usd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    I picked up one of these a few months ago and run it in our 4x4 Stampede and it's been flawless on 2s and tops out around 34mph.
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SkyRC-1870KV...30N8:rk:6:pf:0

You could always upgrade to brushless, and pick up the Traxxas Velineon Brushless Power System (VXL-3S & 3500kV motor). Yes, it costs more than just buying a brushed motor...but, if you're interested in moving up to brushless, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better price on a new quality brushless ESC & motor. On to of that, all wiring is pre-soldered, which will save you time...essentially, it's "plug & play"...and almost all brushed Traxxas vehicles are "brushless-ready". If $165-175 is too much, you can pick up the Kinexsis 1/10 4-Pole 4000Kv Brushless ESC/Motor Combo through Amazon for only $75, although I can't claim to know if the quality is any good.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    If you can "turn in" your XL-5 and burned up Titan 12T, you can use the power up program to get the VXL-3S and brushless motor for less money - I think $125 but don't quote me. Google Traxxas power up to get details. As I understand it, you take your brushed motor and ESC to your LHS (or mail it in to Traxxas) with some cash, and they hand you back (or Traxxas mails to you) a new, better motor and ESC to install.
    Last edited by BMcD308; 01-30-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMcD308 View Post
    If you can "turn in" your XL-5 and burned up Titan 12T, you can use the power up program to get the VXL-3S and brushless motor for less money - I think $125 but don't quote me. Google Traxxas power up to get details. As I understand it, you take your brushed motor and ESC to your LHS (or mail it in to Traxxas) with some cash, and they hand you back (or Traxxas mails to you) a new, better motor and ESC to install.
    Hadn't thought about suggesting that. As for the price, you are correct...trtade in the XL-5 & Titan 12T, and you can get the VXL-3S & 3500 for $125. They also offer Power-Up upgrades of the 3370 system (VXL-3M & 380) for $100 (reg $140-150), and the 3378 system (MXL-6S & 2200kV) for $240 (reg $305).
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Hadn't thought about suggesting that. As for the price, you are correct...trtade in the XL-5 & Titan 12T, and you can get the VXL-3S & 3500 for $125. They also offer Power-Up upgrades of the 3370 system (VXL-3M & 380) for $100 (reg $140-150), and the 3378 system (MXL-6S & 2200kV) for $240 (reg $305).
    I think this is what I'll do. Grab a vxl 3s system. Thank you everyone for the help!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't spend $125 on a Velineon. Go with a Hobbywing Quicrun 60a esc, and a $30 4-pole motor, and you'll get the same performance for half the price, about $70. I don't think you would find anyone that would deny that Hobbywing makes excellent quality ESCs.