RC poster

Stampede 2wd too high !

Hello i just buy the 2wd Stampede and it's very fun to drive but i want to know if i can modify to get the car "closer" to the road because i think the stampede is too high and roll a lot when i turn
    Can i make it lower ?

Ps i try the black plastic to insert into shock but i would to have a car close to the ground maybe like the rustler

Thanks you

Congratulations with the P2de!

Well, you could do a chassis "swap"!?

There are many ways to lower both the ride height as well as lower the body roll.

One mod that is nice is widening the stance with different a-arms, a wide-mod. Several ways of doing that.

You might even try using different shocks.

Wheels and tires may be something to look at as well.

Do you have any good ideas?
    MTFBWY

RC Qualifier
    You could get the Rustler chassis and bolt on the front and rear end of your Pede. They're the same thing except for the chassis.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

There are a couple of things you can do. First, take the shocks to the widest positions on the arms. After this, recommend getting RPM shock towers, they will make your truck more durable, and allow you to move the upper shock mounts closer to the chassis, further lowering it.

Also recommend going with 40wt oil on all four shocks, this will help chassis roll and should improve overall handling. While you have the shock caps off, recommend replacing them with aluminum caps. The stock caps tend to pop off when jumping.

Finally, I hate to overstate the obvious, but the Stampede is a monster truck, and really is not designed for anything but straight-line performance.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Finally, I hate to overstate the obvious, but the Stampede is a monster truck, and really is not designed for anything but straight-line performance.
    Whoa whoa whoa, monster trucks are supposed to be able to handle anything. Who wants to just drive in a straight line? If I wanted to do that I'd drive a REAL car. Also, I don't think the RPM shock towers change the upper shocks positions at all. It's the same as stock.

Seriously though, if you do want to keep it as a true Pede, he's right that there probably isn't much you can do for that high center of gravity. You'll just have to do some suspension tuning to find what works for you on your terrain, and get the right durability upgrades to make it last. Other than that, I think you've chosen your truck already. I have seen people do mods to bring the center of gravity down just a tiny bit without sacrificing ground clearance, but they were some very involved projects!

RC Enthusiast
    Mount the battery under the chassis with velcro straps.

RC Qualifier
    Mount the battery under the chassis with velcro straps.
    lol, and watch the truck go up in flames as soon as you hit a rock too hard. xD Actually, I wonder how this would work for speed runs.

Quote Originally Posted by RC_N3RD View Post
    lol, and watch the truck go up in flames as soon as you hit a rock too hard. xD Actually, I wonder how this would work for speed runs.
    Actually, its not all that uncommon. Needless to say, when you are running it this way you are running on the street and not bouncing over the rocks.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stevefigueras View Post
    Hello i just buy the 2wd Stampede and it's very fun to drive but i want to know if i can modify to get the car "closer" to the road because i think the stampede is too high and roll a lot when i turn
    Can i make it lower ?

Ps i try the black plastic to insert into shock but i would to have a car close to the ground maybe like the rustler

Thanks you
    How were you wanting to go lower? Do you want to keep the higher ground clearance while lowering it, or do you just want it lower and not all that concerned with the ground clearance?

If you want more of the former vs the latter, that's what I started doing nearly 2 decades ago now on mine. I dis try and slam bodies as low as I could get away with over the stock chassis then set the suspension arms as level as possible. Here's the mine with the now disco'd J Concepts Gate Crasher body slammed over the chassis and the above stance. I've mounted the J Concepts Hi-Speed Rustler VXL body on it, but haven't painted or shot pics of it yet.

20180825_163902 by bjoehandley, on Flickr

20180825_164113 by bjoehandley, on Flickr
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC poster
    I also suggest widening the truck. Did wonders for my handling and the amount of roll overs reduced drastically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mnrvermaak View Post
    I also suggest widening the truck. Did wonders for my handling and the amount of roll overs reduced drastically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when you went wider did you go RPM or aluminum? I just got the Bigfoot 1 and I am looking at widening the stance.
    Last edited by cjkessler; 02-04-2019 at 11:14 AM.

RC Champion
    I went wider on mine with all RPM parts. Personally, I don't like aluminum arms on anything, I'd rather have something break or flex that's easy to swap vs dig deeper into the chassis to fix things if it's not needed.
    Aw, Biscuits!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Bjoe is right. Very first thing is lower the body as farbas possible... Check my thread. "My XL5". Many tips on how to get the most out of a stock pede...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...8991344-My-XL5
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Rustler chassis, boom done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnH54m1lXRY
    youtube.com/c/RazorRC
    razorrcblog.blogspot.com

RC Qualifier
    Rustler chassis, boom done.
    Yep, this is the way to do it. Really don't lose ground clearance, since you are limited by bulkhead and tranny anyway, but the center of gravity is much lower.

RC Racer
    Putting a Stampede truck body and wheels on a Rustler chassis makes it a LCG Stampede? or is it a just a Rustler with bigger wheels and a truck body?

Rustler

LCG Stampede?

If it looks like a monster truck, Stampede IMO. If it looks like a stadium truck, Rustler.

youtube.com/c/RazorRC
    razorrcblog.blogspot.com

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Igottabeme View Post
    Putting a Stampede truck body and wheels on a Rustler chassis makes it a LCG Stampede? or is it a just a Rustler with bigger wheels and a truck body?

Rustler

LCG Stampede?
    Honestly, that just makes it a big tired Rustler, loose that higher clearance chassis and it's just not a Stampede anymore. When I converted mine, I wanted to keep the higher belly clearance of the Stampede so it could go more places off road.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    I mean, the chassis does technically make it a Rustler if you ask me, but I'm fine with it because I just think the Rustler is better. A lot of people complain about loosing ground clearance, but you are really limited more by the bulkhead and tranny than the chassis. With large tires the Rustler has plenty of ground clearance, almost as much as the Stampede anyway. There was like, one instance where the Stampede did a little better than a Rustler, which was on some really rocky terrain, but in my Rustler's defense, it was still running on the stock ribbed front tires, and some really old tires on the rear at the time, compared to the Stampede with brand new Talons all the way around.

Honestly, even if you sacrifice a little tiny bit on ground clearance, you make up for it big time in stability. Just don't think it's worth trying to squeeze that ground clearance out of it. Not to mention the Rustler chassis is much stronger than the Stampede chassis. With brushless power, the Stampede chassis is not nearly as bashable, tends to break easily if you hit things. Rustler chassis will take a few bad hits and landings before anything gives.