RC poster

Bent shock, time to upgrade

I just got a 4x4 VXL . Second run with it I bent a front shock. I figure now is a good time to upgrade. I see a lot people recommend the GTR shocks. I am also looking at Pro line powerstrokes and Pro-Spec. My LHS does have the GTR instock, but have both of the Pro-Lines. Is on better than the others? I have a track in my backyard for bashing, that is all I use it for.

RC Racer
    I'd personal look into a set of 12mm Losi or associated shocks, heaps of different lengths, shafts and bodies, springs, pistons, seats and caps, etc...

But the Traxxas #7462x GTR are 12mm bore, Assortment of pistons and springs available....

I run a set of #7462 in the rear and modified Erevo #5460 with Losi 48mm shafts n clips in the front of a sl4sh based buggy.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Suprisingly, hpi vorza shocks work amazing. Proline is high quality, but there are better options for the money. GTR shocks are also a great choice, but same deal as the prolines. Not the best for the money...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Suprisingly, hpi vorza shocks work amazing. Proline is high quality, but there are better options for the money. GTR shocks are also a great choice, but same deal as the prolines. Not the best for the money...
    I agree. I had an ELC-6s powered vorza flux many years ago and it’s probably the biggest rc regret I have (because I sold it) anyway, the shocks were very nice. I just looked at them online, pretty cheap as well.

Installed Pro-Line Big Bore ProSpec shocks in my Rusty 4x4, and they're fantastic. Imagine combining the Traxxas Big Bore shocks, and GTR shocks, into a single shock - 12mm bore, multiple spring rates available, fully-adjustable preload, etc. Yea, they're not cheap (of course, neither are the GTRs), but I believe they're worth it. Of course, if you want to stick with Traxxas parts, then I'd suggest the GTRs. Initially, I was going to get the Big Bore shocks, but, in the end, it came down to the GTRs or ProSpecs...either one, and you should be quite happy.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    I would like to upgrade shocks but don't know which ones to get. Does the GTR shocks have plastic caps and if so would I need to change them over to aluminum.

Plastic caps, but no need to upgrade. They work great.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I thought the GTRs were aluminum, including the caps, and that only the shock eyes were plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I thought the GTRs were aluminum, including the caps, and that only the shock eyes were plastic?

Nope, GTRs have plastic caps. To reiterate no need to upgrade the caps. I've never blown one off
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    Nope, GTRs have plastic caps. To reiterate no need to upgrade the caps. I've never blown one off
    No issue with caps either....
    Had a few lower spring bases/seats blow out on GTR shocks.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Plastic caps, but no need to upgrade. They work great.
    Good to know Thanks. Thinking this is the way to go for me since I just bash. Seen them on ebay with spings already filled with oil. Probabaly pulled from a Slash. Could go with thicker oil if needed.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Squeegie. I see these GTRs have blue shock bodies from the Slash Ultimate. I also see GTRs with black bodies from Slash Platinum part #6804R and listed as updated Big-Bore GTRs. Are both of these shocks the same as in hard anodized PTFE coated and TiN shafts? Since I just got back in RC I noticed all my local hobby shops died. 80 mile round trip to nearest so I buy everything online and by doing this no expertise on parts and nothing to compare. Also seen a pic on here of the Prolines maby of Panthers, I forget, and they looked nice but wonder of what they cost plus I would have to buy springs and oil and assemble which is no big deal. Like I said before I just bash so really just want something a little more plush than stock as not to bottom out on jumps and such.

They are the same shock, but the new Ultimate is blue. I would have posted the Platinum’s as well, but they weren’t in stock.

Ince Jenny’s is a chop shop, the shocks come complete.

Quote Originally Posted by transbrake View Post
    .....plus I would have to buy springs and oil and assemble which is no big deal.
    Work the GTRs, you'll have to but springs, but with the Pro-Lines, they come with medium-weight springs already in place. Work the Pro-Lines, you'd have to but the oil, but I believe Traxxas includes a small bottle of 30wt oil work their shocks (tho, you'd still have to fill the shocks). In either case, the "stock" oil and/or springs might not be what you want/need, thus you might still have to but additional oil and/or springs. For the oil, I might suggest the 6-pack (20, 25, 30, can 35, 40 & 45wt) from Pro-Line, and for the springs, the 10-pack (2 each of extra-soft, soft, medium, hard -extra-hard). This way, you're well-equipped to dial everything in.

I have had Traxxas Ultra, Big Bore and GTR. I have also had Pro-Line Racing Power Strokes. The Traxxas GTR shocks are head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Do the gtr's have different bodies or different caps? Because I blew off both of the stock front caps of my rusty, and had to replace them with my 3-4 yr old p4de. Those seems to work a lot better, because they have taken many more impacts, and the impacts were harder, but not a single one popped off.

RC Qualifier
    Gtr’s are aluminum bodied as stated, therefore don’t need special caps. They’re still plastic but it doesn’t pop off.

RC Qualifier
    I see. Thanks for the clarification.

RC Competitor
    They are the same shock, but the new Ultimate is blue. I would have posted the Platinum’s as well, but they weren’t in stock.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm leaning towards the Ultimates. Especially since they're pulled from New Slash and ready to go. If I need to up the oil weight and spring rate that's no biggie. Plug and play upgrade and price is right.

RC Competitor

Thanks for the hookup, Ordered some today.