RC poster

A story of a 12 channel trx4

After burning a few 2065's I knew I needed some kind of end point adjustment along with the general cheep feel of the tqi radio a new rx and tx was in order.
    The modded gt3b with 8 channels looked like the way to go then remembering I had a couple walkera scout x4 drone's sitting in the case (if you know walkera you will know why I forgot about them lol)
    anyway. It comes with a devention f12e 12 channel radio with 32 channel fpv, end point adjustment, expo,dual rates,sub trim, program mixing ,3km theoretical range and more and if your clever you can put deviation firmware on and customize and control just about anything
    So I tear apart the beater scout for the rx but it was a sad ending. It's an rx702 it looks like it will fit well but it runs ppm.
    To amazon for a rx1202. It comes its huge. But after taking the case off it fits perfectly in the receiver expansion box with the traxxas bec in there too
    So after setting up the endpoints and curves I drove around a bit. The amount of throttle control in amazing but turning with a stick did not feel intuitive for me
    Out comes the dremel I cut the steering wheel and where it mounts out of the tqi then removed the right stick from the f12e and mounted the wheel there. the f12e was not modified so I could still fly with a 10 minute part swap. The tqi however wont be going back the way it was. I'll be putting that in a logitech steering wheel for more fun later
    Anyhow I put some expo on the wheel and just WOW the precision is glorious my blinkers have there own switch and that makes me happier than I know how to say and None of my servos buzz

Now I have a problem tho... I have 6 open channels so I plan on a switchable 3 micro cam fpv with one down each side of the truck to see the tires and one in the cab with 1 axis so there's 2 channels taken up.
    4 left. I could do a winch but the idea with the range and the cams is I dont have to be near it and a winch becomes useless without human interaction
    Any constructive ideas for the extra channels anybody? Any comments. Am I destroying a Perfectly good rc?

Ps. Sorry for the lack of pictures iv been trying and trying but I just cant seem to get it to work
    Last edited by Theguiltyflea; 01-31-2019 at 10:47 AM.

RC Competitor
    I have to see a photo of what you just described! Please

RC poster
    https://flic.kr/p/2er6u8C

There's a pic of the controller tried posting the image here but it just wont work. Made a Flickr and everything just for it. Im sure its oporator error lol I lose control of a channel removing the stick but that channel is going 4ws and will be mixed in

https://flic.kr/p/23UhCHZ
    Last edited by Theguiltyflea; 01-31-2019 at 01:31 PM.

RC Competitor
    OMG, that is epic!

But you will tire of driving a vehicle with sticks instead of a steering wheel. Its just unnatural. Feels like driving a tank in a video game. This what what I did to my summit

16 channel Frysky aircraft/ drone radio inserted into a 3d printed pistol radio body. All the mixes you could possibly want. And it can even talk to you. RX are around $18

Takes some minor soldering skills to attach the steering wheel. The best part is that the Frysky 16 channel Taranis QX-7 is only $118 brand new. And its a quality programmable radio I am custom 3d printing mine to accept a long range module. And I kept I joystick in place to control a camera.

And since the radio body is 3d printed (look for "Taranis pistola" on thingyverse.com ) customizations are endless.
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-31-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    2 things about this thread that intrigued me
    “Frysky” LoL
    And “I have 12 channels but I need more so how can I get more”

The most channels any of my rc’s have is 4 haha
    Of course this is a crawler so you need a lot but it’s still hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    But you will tire of driving a vehicle with sticks instead of a steering wheel. Its just unnatural. Feels like driving a tank in a video game. This what what I did to my summit

16 channel Frysky aircraft/ drone radio inserted into a 3d printed pistol radio body. All the mixes you could possibly want. And it can even talk to you. RX are around $18

Takes some minor soldering skills to attach the steering wheel. The best part is that the Frysky 16 channel Taranis QX-7 is only $118 brand new. And its a quality programmable radio I am custom 3d printing mine to accept a long range module. And I kept I joystick in place to control a camera.

And since the radio body is 3d printed (look for "Taranis pistola" on thingyverse.com ) customizations are endless.
    SCHWEET!!!! I am in the market for a 12ch radio right now, looking at a couple of different options.

Nice looking rig. I am wanting to get more 1/14 scale stuff to go with my King Hauler. Thought about adding a fork lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    2 things about this thread that intrigued me
    “Frysky” LoL
    And “I have 12 channels but I need more so how can I get more”

The most channels any of my rc’s have is 4 haha
    Of course this is a crawler so you need a lot but it’s still hilarious
    I remember when I got my DX3R, I was wondering what I'd use that 3rd channel for. Now the five channels of my DX5R are not enough for my current build. I figure in ten years the cheap radios will only have 50 channels...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    @ noir 552 that's why I installed a wheel in place of the right stick. I have seen your setup in my search of the interwebs and it was another moment I scoulded myself for not having purchased a 3d printer yet

@ peeeenuut i have no experience with frysky so I cant speak on that. I agree the amount of channels is overkill there is no need for it. It's more of a matter of because I can and I had the things to do it

Actually frysky is a quality (and now very popular ) radio system. I switched over from spektrum due to Spektrum crazy short range (whoda thunk Spektrm radios would come up with such short range ) . And the programming features of the Frysky system is OUTSTANDING. Different voices, alarms , warnings, telemetry, and you can mix anything you want ( you wanna lock both diffs, set cruise control to drive at 1/8 speed, and have the lights come on all with one switch - easy percheesy). If you ever set up 4WS on your rig you will love changing the steering modes with the simply flicking one of its 3 position switches. You wanna add a pivoting camera and have the ability to turn it in one direction while turning the steering wheel in the other direction ? Heck yea) makes for some great onboard videos.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC poster
    Well noir it sounds like your setup it working a charm for you.

had I not had a f12e lying around I my have gone with your method. I do very much like the pistol grip setup you have and the f12e does feel a bit bulky but the idea was a multi purpose tx. the custom firmware allows support for almost all protocols and with a opentx based setup so it can operate just about anything with some setting changes and swapping the stick back.
    also my total cost was 38$ for the reciever so there's that too
    Last edited by Theguiltyflea; 01-31-2019 at 07:33 PM.

RC poster
    Little update.

Everything is working great

I have cruise controle mixed in with a rotary dial so its adjustable on the fly and no need to be moving to engage it

blinkers on a 3-way switch. No more blinking when not wanted

When I shift to low gear the throttle curve changes for better controle

Fpv output to tv for a living room drivers seat

In the mail is somthing called pctx that allows me to use any pc controller to controle the car throu the f12e trainer port like my logitech g29 and with the tv out it will be just like a video game with consequence

Also in mail a pwm to ppm converter so I can plug the stock traxxas reviever into the controller and use the traxxas controller with all the curves and mixing of the devo f12e

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Crazy stuff guys. I may have to go back to school to drive these things soon...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Crazy stuff guys. I may have to go back to school to drive these things soon...
    I am getting ready to go back to college to get my BSE in EE. Might just see if I can find anywhere that offers a degree in RC piloting. I guess that would be a BS in RC...?

And, as a retort to your signature, may I offer this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Ppm converter arrived.
    So I have the traxxas revievers 5 channels plugged into a holybro ppm converter and the output from that going to the trainer port of my f12e.
    Had to put the tqi transmitter back together lol
    So now I can use the stock tqi radio with all the curves, expos, endpoints, mixing and range of the f12e. essentially my tqi tramsmitter is now a powerhouse. This will work with any tx rx combo aswell
    No need to touch the car to change to any controller. Just swap the reciever plugged into the trainer port.setup the ppm input and away you go.
    Its Wireless buddie box essentially

Next is driving from the livingroom with a steering wheel and pedals on the big screen tv hopefully

RC poster
    Pctx has not arrived yet so no wheel on tv yet but I did discover that the f12e custom deviation firmware let's me use the controller as a usb game pad so iv been playing
    Dirt rally with the tqi transmitter on the computer

RC poster
    Wow, awesome stuff. I can’t even get my Bluetooth module to work with my Xmaxx