RC Enthusiast

Lightbulb E-Revo 2 motor / motor rebuild / maintenance

I have a few questions regarding the E-Revo 2 if anyone knows.

I was looking at the exploded parts diagrams on the Traxxas website and it appears the stock motor has part #3481. However the parts finder could not locate it.

The manual says it has a Velineon 2200kV brushless motor but doesn't say the part #.

1) What is the stock motor part # and is it replaceable with an identical unit?

My second question is about the "Velineon 3500 motor rebuild kit", part #3352R.

2) Is the rebuild kit compatible and work on the stock motor?

I'm planning on doing a tear-down of my E-Revo 2 and want to do as much maintenance as possible. Generally, after runs, I gently hose it down with water all over, then dry it with a fan, then WD-40 the metal parts.

3) What is a good regular maintenance (after each run) and what is good for annual maintenance to keep things in tip top shape?

Thank-you.

RC Qualifier
    Here’s some tips.
    The velineon 3500 is a different and much smaller motor and the rebuild kit isn’t compatible. Normal motor maintainence is little to none, just replace the bearings every 6 months. That’s about it, if you ever blow up a rotor/shaft or anything than your just in a sucks to suck situation, as there’s sadly no replacement.

Been there, done that, it’s a shame. I have my blown motor sitting around somewhere. Just don’t let it get hot. Ever.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 01-31-2019 at 05:47 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Here’s some tips.
    The velineon 3500 is a different and much smaller motor and the rebuild kit isn’t compatible. Normal motor maintainence is little to none, just replace the bearings every 6 months. That’s about it, if you ever blow up a rotor/shaft or anything than your just in a sucks to suck situation, as there’s sadly no replacement.

Been there, done that, it’s a shame. I have my blown motor sitting around somewhere. Just don’t let it get hot. Ever.
    Ok, thanks for the information about the motor. I wonder why Traxxas doesn't stock replacements or even upgrades. I'm sure that would be popular.

I have driven in sand, water, mud and muck so I plan to do a disassembly to clean it out and see what needs replacing.

- Any maintenance tips?

I see RPM has released body savers for the E-Revo 2, part # 80422. They look pretty good too.
    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/bo...-the-revo-2-0/

I have been waiting for some RPM upgrades to be released as I hear they have a good reputation for being durable. I hope they release more for the E-Revo 2...

RC Qualifier
    To be honest I see no need for rpm stuff on the e revo vxl. The upgraded plastics that Traxxas put on are the perfect combo of flex and stiffness. Anyway, speaking of the motor spares, yeah itíd be incredibly popular! Trust me if they had the rotors available Iíd instantly buy one and throw it in. In their mind, if they sell replacement rotors than nobody will need to buy a new motor, so thatís money out of their pocket. Little do they know after someone blows up their motors itís not like Traxxas gets the money from their next one anyway!

As for tips, remove the bearings, check how free they spin, also spray out the whole can with ELECTRIC MOTOR SAFE brake cleaner. Iíd replace the bearings if they donít spin freely. You can revive crunchy bearings (I do a lot) but for a motor that spins upwards of 50k rpms itís best to replace it if they get any type of bad wear.

And about the body savers, hey, I just use washers. Works better anyways.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    To be honest I see no need for rpm stuff on the e revo vxl. The upgraded plastics that Traxxas put on are the perfect combo of flex and stiffness. Anyway, speaking of the motor spares, yeah itíd be incredibly popular! Trust me if they had the rotors available Iíd instantly buy one and throw it in. In their mind, if they sell replacement rotors than nobody will need to buy a new motor, so thatís money out of their pocket. Little do they know after someone blows up their motors itís not like Traxxas gets the money from their next one anyway!

As for tips, remove the bearings, check how free they spin, also spray out the whole can with ELECTRIC MOTOR SAFE brake cleaner. Iíd replace the bearings if they donít spin freely. You can revive crunchy bearings (I do a lot) but for a motor that spins upwards of 50k rpms itís best to replace it if they get any type of bad wear.

And about the body savers, hey, I just use washers. Works better anyways.
    Electric motor safe brake cleaner? No such thing. You mean electronic cleaner?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrae05 View Post
    Electric motor safe brake cleaner? No such thing. You mean electronic cleaner?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Nope I mean brake cleaner. I use this stuff made by wurth, because a YouTuber recommended it. Itís also plastic safe.

I used to use generic brands, which were also safe for electric motors, but not for plastics.

RC Qualifier
    What size bearings will work? as mine needs to be replaced, or at a mine repacked... but i'd like to just replace..

RC Qualifier
    I used washers as my body savers but the kit they have now may have a better look?

Motor bearings. Bearing nmb r-1650hh
    It's a 16x5x5 metal seal.

My independent lhs had them. They carry tons of bearings. All the hobbytowns didn't have them. Traxxas said bearings are not replaceable and 100$ to exchange motor... Eh. Cost me $3 for the 2 bearings.

Regular maintenance on bearings is helpful.

I order some break free cpl spray. Works wonders on cleaning and lubing parts. I used on my axels and hub carrier parts. They rotate so much better. Used on my pins and anything else that may rust that doesn't get marine grease. Like wd40 on steroiods.

Get some Marine grease for repacking your bearings.

I would open up bull heads and put marine grease around the ring gears and bearings. Keep the crud out. Stock offered no protect. The difference between the diff with extra grease and stock was night and day... Didn't have to replace the bearings on the extra greased one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Youre worrying too much about the motor maintenance. A massive advantage of brushless motors is the lack of required maintenance. Just run it till it dies imo

RC Qualifier
    ^^^ What he said.

Also, if you don't hose the motor down with water you will save yourself some of that maintenance you want to do. If you run the car in water shake the water out and wipe and dry the motor off.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours