RC poster

V.G. CHASSIS BRACE FOR SLASH 4X4 w/AUDIO

Hi folks! I've got a question on chassis braces for the Slash 4x4 w/LCG. Do you use them or are they really not needed for someone that d/n jump their car off the roof of their house? Mine's got the audio module and V.G. has a single steel one that has the hardware for the audio equip. If you do use one, do they make working on your cars more of a hassle or not so much? Thanx in advance for all and any replies.
    OLD GUY

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

I will never, ever put a chassis brace on another Slash 4x4! A few years ago, the Tqi with a red " I " transmitter had a horrible habbit of losing signal. So I had one runaway at 70+ mph! It hit a curb and bent the driveshaft, the tip off of the slipper clutch and broke the chassis. So I thought it would be a good idea to get a chassis brace. Well the Ultimate edition lost signal again and crashed into a curb at 70+ mph! With the chassis brace installed I broke everything on the truck except the receiver box, body mounts, motor, esc and one nerf bar! That was an expensive lesson to learn
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

I will never, ever put a chassis brace on another Slash 4x4! A few years ago, the Tqi with a red " I " transmitter had a horrible habbit of losing signal. So I had one runaway at 70+ mph! It hit a curb and bent the driveshaft, the tip off of the slipper clutch and broke the chassis. So I thought it would be a good idea to get a chassis brace. Well the Ultimate edition lost signal again and crashed into a curb at 70+ mph! With the chassis brace installed I broke everything on the truck except the receiver box, body mounts, motor, esc and one nerf bar! That was an expensive lesson to learn
    Sooo what you're saying is, that with the brace it makes the chassis so "stiff" that other parts have to absorb the blunt of the crash? Makes sense to me. It's not like I BASH the poop out my car, but it does "CRASH" from time to time. Thanx for the
    info! OLD GUY!

Quote Originally Posted by RC'n OLD GUY! View Post
    Sooo what you're saying is, that with the brace it makes the chassis so "stiff" that other parts have to absorb the blunt of the crash? Makes sense to me. It's not like I BASH the poop out my car, but it does "CRASH" from time to time. Thanx for the
    info! OLD GUY!
    You are very welcome! I hate to see anyone go through what I did.

@El Sob
    Don't go putting down a chassis brace because of your loss. I am sorry for your loss, but the chassis brace was NOT the cause. If you had a signal loss problem, before you did ANYTHING else, you should have worked to resolve that problem, as that, technically, was the cause of your loss. They're are countless people who have installed a chassis brace (myself, included), and it's a valuable piece of "insurance".

The definition of 'insanity' is "doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result". If there's a problem, such as long of radio signal, determine what's causing the problem, and fix it, BEFORE you run the vehicle again.

Take any vehicle...RC, or real...and crash it into a wall at 70mph, and see what happens. On to of that, your RC vehicle is made up of mostly plastic parts, so, compared to the metal parts in a real vehicle, the plastic parts ARE going to be less forgiving. On to of that, having already crashed your vehicle into a wall at 70mph, the probability that you damaged parts in that first crash is an incredible-high probability, this the second crash just "finished the job".

@RC'n OLD GUY!
    First, take what El Sob said with a grain of salt...a GIANT grain of salt...and read my reply to him. Again, I'm sorry for his loss...but, at the same time, anyone who has such a disaster, doesn't bother resolving it, and then goes & does the same thing again deserves such a loss. If you had a car/motorcycle/truck, and your electrical power went out, then came back on, what would you do? Would you continue driving it...or would you have it checked out before driving it again?

Honestly, my best suggestion is to get more replies from people in the forums. Better yet, go to your LHS and/or local track, talk (first hand) to people who are using and/or who have used a chassis brace, and find out the 'pros' & 'cons' of using one in your specific vehicle, for your specific use(s). Then, and only then, can you consider yourself well-informed so as to make a decision. In other words, user some logic in determining what's best for you, your vehicle, and your user of said vehicle. That's what I did...and, now mine has a chassis brace.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    @El Sob
    Don't go putting down a chassis brace because of your loss. I am sorry for your loss, but the chassis brace was NOT the cause. If you had a signal loss problem, before you did ANYTHING else, you should have worked to resolve that problem, as that, technically, was the cause of your loss. They're are countless people who have installed a chassis brace (myself, included), and it's a valuable piece of "insurance".

The definition of 'insanity' is "doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result". If there's a problem, such as long of radio signal, determine what's causing the problem, and fix it, BEFORE you run the vehicle again.

Take any vehicle...RC, or real...and crash it into a wall at 70mph, and see what happens. On to of that, your RC vehicle is made up of mostly plastic parts, so, compared to the metal parts in a real vehicle, the plastic parts ARE going to be less forgiving. On to of that, having already crashed your vehicle into a wall at 70mph, the probability that you damaged parts in that first crash is an incredible-high probability, this the second crash just "finished the job".

@RC'n OLD GUY!
    First, take what El Sob said with a grain of salt...a GIANT grain of salt...and read my reply to him. Again, I'm sorry for his loss...but, at the same time, anyone who has such a disaster, doesn't bother resolving it, and then goes & does the same thing again deserves such a loss. If you had a car/motorcycle/truck, and your electrical power went out, then came back on, what would you do? Would you continue driving it...or would you have it checked out before driving it again?

Honestly, my best suggestion is to get more replies from people in the forums. Better yet, go to your LHS and/or local track, talk (first hand) to people who are using and/or who have used a chassis brace, and find out the 'pros' & 'cons' of using one in your specific vehicle, for your specific use(s). Then, and only then, can you consider yourself well-informed so as to make a decision. In other words, user some logic in determining what's best for you, your vehicle, and your user of said vehicle. That's what I did...and, now mine has a chassis brace.

Both of you are correct. Here’s the verdict.
    Chassis brace= beneficial for small crashes and hard landings
    However, if you have a fatal crash, it’ll ruin a lot more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Both of you are correct. Here’s the verdict.
    Chassis brace= beneficial for small crashes and hard landings
    However, if you have a fatal crash, it’ll ruin a lot more stuff.
    ...ESPECIALLY when you go crashing your vehicle into a wall at 70mph. Heck...at that speed, you'd better have your vehicle wrapped in a 12" thick layer of bubble-wrap. Then again, at 70mph, maybe the bubble-wrap isn't even enough to save it.

RC poster
    BOTH reasons make sense. Did not want to start a PI&^%*@ contest amongst fellow modelers. I have done quite a bit of reading about installing aluminum parts in a RC car/truck and if you make the car too "stiff" and it does not allow the chassis to "flex" some( A-arms, shock towers, ect.), C.V.'s start breaking. I run my Slash on homemade tracks, heck I even cut a snow track in my backyard during the winter. I just don't jump mine 20ft. high into the air and nose dive it into the ground (even though it ends up that way sometimes). So probably for someone like myself, a brace is not really needed. Thanks to everyone who replied to this. OLD GUY

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    don't get the chassis brace. it will do more harm than good

Hey Old Guy welcome aboard. I also don't run a chassis brace....sometimes flex is good. Where you at in WI? I'm an old guy in WI as well!

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    @El Sob

@RC'n OLD GUY!

All I can give is my experience. I have been on this forum for a long time. I want fellow forum members to be informed about what can possibly happen. You can take it any way you would like to. If I can save someone time money and heartache, my job is done

RC poster
    Dcuda69: I'm up around the Waupaca area. See you do a little sno-run'in also. I've got my truck out twice this winter and thanks to the 40-50 deg. wind chills, I didn't push my luck! OLD DUDE

Hi folks! I've got a question on chassis braces for the Slash 4x4 w/LCG. Do you use them or are they really not needed for someone that d/n jump their car off the roof of their house? Mine's got the audio module and V.G. has a single steel one that has the hardware for the audio equip. If you do use one, do they make working on your cars more of a hassle or not so much? Thanx in advance for all and any replies.
    OLD GUY
    I tried the V.G brace for a while, personally I didn't like it.
    The chassis are meant to flex to a point; you'll see the stock center shaft as well as in my personal experience using the HR and Tekno Big Bone center shafts all have a bit of room for chassis flex as well.
    It seemed to me my rig didn't handle quite as well after installing the brace.
    I'm sure this could all have been in my head but I still feel they were made to flex and built in a way to do just that.
    In the end it's always a personal choice, for some fellas the brace may be a welcome addition; my experience was tuning the suspension seemed a bit more challenging, far from impossible but needed more frequent adjusting.
    It seemed as the small amount of chassis flex helped the trucks ability to make softer smother landings from 1'-2' jumps
    Just my 2¢.
    Welcome to the forums; hope your enjoying the fun offered by the Slash.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Dcuda69: I'm up around the Waupaca area. See you do a little sno-run'in also. I've got my truck out twice this winter and thanks to the 40-50 deg. wind chills, I didn't push my luck! OLD DUDE
    I'm about 30 mi west of Milwaukee. Haven't had mine out much this winter and especially not in those wind chills. Glad we made it through that!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    I have the VG chassis brace on my Slash LCG with OBA (68086-21), i like it.
    The reason i got it is because the LCG chassis is not as strong as the HCG chassis, and has a weak point in the front, which will eventually break because of material fatigue from landings and such.

Quote Originally Posted by mastertheknife View Post
    I have the VG chassis brace on my Slash LCG with OBA (68086-21), i like it.
    The reason i got it is because the LCG chassis is not as strong as the HCG chassis, and has a weak point in the front, which will eventually break because of material fatigue from landings and such.
    Good to know, considering I'm planning on using the Slash 4x4 LCG chassis as the basis for my next project. Thank you.