RC poster

Question Titan 12T 550 upgrade

I burned out my titan 12 turn 550 motor for my Rustler. Does anybody have any suggestions for an inexpensive "upgraded" motor that will work with the XL-5 thatís either more reliable, faster or preferably both than the titan, I can't afford to go brushless.

I dont know what your price range is but one of the most commonly recommended brushed motors is the Orion SV2 Pro BB in a 15 or 17 turn. They cost around $40 and can be rebuilt when needed.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    ya I saw that as a recomendation on an old post i might go with that, any other ideas

RC Qualifier
    Speed Gems are a good choice also.
    To upgrade or not to upgrade,is that even a question?

RC Champion
    make sure to buy spare brushes
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC poster
    but which is better

RC Champion
    in my rustler at first i had a speedgems 19t and then i also got a orion epic 27t and the epic is faster cheaper and i get a lot better run time..but not im looking for somthing faster so im looking at 17t's..i would go with a team orion epic 19 or 17t
    if its fast its a rustler

RC poster
    ok, thanks for the input

RC Enthusiast
    My brother just caught a sale at Tower on a Speed Gems 19T he put in a 2wd stadium truck similar to a Rusty. It's a good bit quicker than my XL5/Titan Rusty on the bottom end, and faster up top. Doesn't hang with my VXL, but it's not that far behind. It is rebuildable, and timing adjustable.

If Traxxas would only come out with their own line of add-on motors....I wouldn't need another manufacturer lol!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    but one of the most commonly recommended brushed motors is the Orion SV2 Pro BB in a 15 or 17 turn. They cost around $40 and can be rebuilt when needed.
    I couldn't agree more. I ran one before I got my MM5700 and it worked great. Fast and easy to maintain.
    If you can't convince them confuse them

RC poster
    I think I'm going to go with the Orion, cheaper at my hobbytown, and sounds like good quallity, thanks guys

RC Champion
    When you buy the motor be sure to get the Pro BB version. This version is rebuildable and is faster.
    If you can't convince them confuse them

RC Champion
    lets not forget to get the right pinion for the motor for a 15t get a 13t pinion and for 17t pinion get a 15t pinion

2 teeth less than the number of turns
    if you can control it, it is too slow

RC poster
    Rustler just stopped no beeping when resetting the esc so would you say motor has gone

Quote Originally Posted by Demonbell1966 View Post
    Rustler just stopped no beeping when resetting the esc so would you say motor has gone
    Nope, a XL5 should be able to be set up if the motor is there or not.

Recommend posting a new thread for your problem, include what ESC you have (assumed XL5), if the LED is blinking, what color is the ESC, what radio you are using, and what battery.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Venom Fireball motors are pretty good and only cost around $15. They come in a variety of turns and I remeber the 15t was a pretty good option for my stampede so I bet on a rustler it would be even better.

RC poster
    I just bought my wife an xl-5. The box says 35mph+. But the battery it has with it is an 8.4. I have several 11.1 lipos for my vxl. Can the 12.t handle these batteries? If not what is the highest I can go on voltage safely?

You can try a cheapo $40 brushless system. It will outlive many many Titans, and also be just a tiny bit more powerful. Good Hop up Imo since its cheap but still a great thing to do

RC poster
    I'm so lost, it seams obvious to me brushless is the way to go. I also have the 12t engine on my bandit. when I purchased it in Dec I opted for the lipo batteries, from my research it just seamed to be the better option. but after just a month I already see a performance loss of prolly 25%. I thought it was just me but my daughter asked me what was wrong with the car. so my question is there a bolt on brushless option? I see the traxxas upgrade but 150$ seams a lot when I was looking at some with the ESC for 36$ like this one (Surpass Hobby F540 Waterproof 4370KV Brushless Motor +45A ESC for 1/10 Rc Car Parts) now IDK if its compatible. so any links to a good solution is appreciated. up to say 70 ish dollars.

RC Qualifier
    I wish someone would have mentioned this, but usually when the Titan motor goes bad, it takes the esc with it, at least in my experience. IDK, maybe I'm just SUPER unlucky but it's hard to believe after going through about 3 motors and 3 escs every time the motor died. So, you'd probably need to drop $20 on a new brushed esc, at which point we could be talking $40-$60 for a new brushed settup. Personally I'd go brushless at that point. Once the xl-5 dies, get a Hobbywing Quicrun for $40 on Ebay, and find an inexpesive $20-30 brushless motor. It's still pretty inexpensive and should be just as reliable. Even if you want to go slow you could pick up a $30 radio that will have dual-rate. Or you may even be able to turn down top speed from the esc.

Links for anyone interested:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-QUICRUN-WP-10BL60-60A-Waterproof-Brushless-ESC-For-1-10-RC-Car-Buggy/111364311768?epid=5012351175&hash=item19edd48ad8:g :tX8AAOSwPrdcPFLX:rk:18f:0
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3650-3300KV-1-10-4-Pole-Brushless-Motor-Fits-Sensorless-ESC-Traxxas-1-10-Slash/142711805994?hash=item213a49582a:g:RbkAAOSwHPNbHTZ R:rk:12f:0
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flysky-FS-GT2B-2-4G-3CH-Radio-Model-Remote-Control-RC-Transmitter-W-Receiver-US/223170093934?epid=18009884863&hash=item33f5f9636e: g:AlUAAOSwSO5a0F8O:rk:3f:0

RC poster
    You can use the Traxxas Power Up program. Trade in your Titan/xl5 combo and get a Vileneon combo for half price. You can either send in to Traxxas, or do it directly thru your local dealer, and save the shipping.

RC poster
    It should also be mentioned, that if you decide to go brushless, which I don't think you will be disappointed if you do, regardless of brand, you will then want to upgrade your front castors and rear carriers to bearing units like the vxl's come with. Not the stock bushing units of the xl5 cars. Probably not required right away, but something to put on the wish list.

RC Qualifier
    Even with the Traxxas power-up system isn't it still like $100? I would not spend that much on it, if you could get a Velineon for like $70 I'd say that's a decent value, but that's way off from what they charge.

It should also be mentioned, that if you decide to go brushless, which I don't think you will be disappointed if you do, regardless of brand, you will then want to upgrade your front castors and rear carriers to bearing units like the vxl's come with. Not the stock bushing units of the xl5 cars. Probably not required right away, but something to put on the wish list.
    Ball bearings would be a good idea, but not mandatory. I'd worry about getting RPM a-arms, bulkhead, caster blocks, steering knuckles, and rear axle carriers, as well as a T-bone or RPM front bumper. If you have $3 left over after that, go ahead and pick up like a 10 pack of rubber sealed bearings from China, and do those when you can.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_N3RD View Post
    Even with the Traxxas power-up system isn't it still like $100? I would not spend that much on it, if you could get a Velineon for like $70 I'd say that's a decent value, but that's way off from what they charge.

Ball bearings would be a good idea, but not mandatory. I'd worry about getting RPM a-arms, bulkhead, caster blocks, steering knuckles, and rear axle carriers, as well as a T-bone or RPM front bumper. If you have $3 left over after that, go ahead and pick up like a 10 pack of rubber sealed bearings from China, and do those when you can.
    I can't speak from experience on the power up program, As o have never used it. Just know of it. My understanding is you get 50% off. Traxxas lists the Vileneon system at o 170, so could possibly get it for 85 bucks. But I could be mistaken. Was just a thought to possibly look into.
    As far as ball bearings go, if he gets RPM axle carriers and steering knuckles, ball bearings will then be required anyway.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíve said this 100 times on this forum, I love Traxxas but the VXL esc is not worth paying for. I like the motor for entry level. But do yourself a favor, get a more capable esc.

RC Qualifier
    I’ve said this 100 times on this forum, I love Traxxas but the VXL esc is not worth paying for. I like the motor for entry level. But do yourself a favor, get a more capable esc.
    Well said, pretty much all of my thoughts on the product in a sentence.

As far as ball bearings go, if he gets RPM axle carriers and steering knuckles, ball bearings will then be required anyway.
    nah, the bushings will fit in those as well. And it's not that I don't recommend bearings or anything, but idk how tight this person's budget is.