RC Enthusiast

Servo extensions

Do you need servo extensions for the hobbywing 1080 and the cheap 20kg servo from Amazon?

RC Racer
    The 1080 is tight going across the trans but fits ok.
    Get a 3-4" extension for the servo for sure.

RC Racer
    I keep hearing people say they needed an extension for the 20kg servo from Amazon. But I've purchased like 6 of them and they all came with long leads... No need for an extension wire.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I ordered a extension for both just in case. On a different note how do you get the traxxas lights to work with the 1080 esc?

The 1080 has a 3A BEC, which should be plenty of power as long as you are not running a servo over 200 oz or so. You can connect the lights up to the receiver (any open port), which should be already wired up with a servo connector. If not, you can solder a servo connector on, or just get an adapter. Or, you can get an external BEC to run it off of, either directly (overkill for a 10A BEC), or connect the BEC into your RX.

If you do run the 1080's BEC, make sure you only run it at 6VDC, if memory serves, 7.4VDC will fry the stock receiver.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Damalife View Post
    On a different note how do you get the traxxas lights to work with the 1080 esc?
    The easiest way is to get a short adapter with a female JST to a male servo connector, and simply plug the Traxxas power supply into the programming port on the 1080 ESC.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/JST-Female-...sRVE:rk:7:pf:0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    The easiest way is to get a short adapter with a female JST to a male servo connector, and simply plug the Traxxas power supply into the programming port on the 1080 ESC.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/JST-Female-...sRVE:rk:7:pf:0
    I'm terribly sorry for giving wrong info, and presenting the wrong link above.
    You'll need an adapter like the bottom left one in the first picture here (JR female to JST female):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Lot-RC...frcectupt=true

The male and female terms can be a little confusing sometimes...
    The correct way of describing male and female is defined by the pins inside the connector, and not always the housing style.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok well I'll have a better idea when I'm dealing with once I actually receive the esc. Thanks for that info Viking

RC Competitor
    Amazing how much misinformation is floating around. The stock XL5 ESC is equipped with a red JST plug attached to it which is simply a tap off of actual battery voltage NOT 6v BEC output. To get battery voltage with the HW1080 you simply need to solder in a JST lead in with the battery plug or buy a battery in-line plug adapter that goes between the battery plug and ESC plug with a JST tap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Male-JST-in-line-power-XT60-Connector-Adapter-XT-60-Female-Lipo-US/131067407451?hash=item1e8439ec5b:g:lIUAAOxyXDhShzx U:sc:USPSFirstClass!22553!US!-1:rk:38f:0
    Last edited by Inspector86; 02-06-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    It's a rock, get over it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
    Amazing how much misinformation is floating around. The stock XL5 ESC is equipped with a red JST plug attached to it which is simply a tap off of actual battery voltage NOT 6v BEC output. To get battery voltage with the HW1080 you simply need to solder in a JST lead in with the battery plug or buy a battery in-line plug adapter that goes between the battery plug and ESC plug with a JST tap.
    If I have misinterpreted your post, I apologize, but I'm not sure what you mean by misinformation. No-one has claimed that the power tap on the XL5HV ESC is anything else than a power tap of the battery voltage. In fact, no-one has even mentioned the stock ESC.

However, you are absolutely correct in suggesting that an easy way to connect the Traxxas light kit power module is to directly connect it to the battery leads on the 1080 ESC.

Another easy way to connect the power module to the 1080 ESC is what I suggested above. The programming port on the 1080 delivers 6V which is more than enough for the power module (which has a 3V output).
    Last edited by Viking; 02-07-2019 at 09:21 AM.

RC Racer
    Only problem with that programming port is theres very little cable retention, due to the open pins not in a connector. I can barely program it without coming unplugged, and wouldnt think anything connected would ladt through any bumps/banging.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    Only problem with that programming port is theres very little cable retention, due to the open pins not in a connector. I can barely program it without coming unplugged, and wouldnt think anything connected would ladt through any bumps/banging.
    Maybe you're not pushing the connector firmly enough onto the pins. Mine is almost too tight, but at first I also thought is was very loose until I applied a little more force to it and it slipped properly in place. (Oh, what a bad sentence - but you get what I mean, don't you? )

RC Racer
    Ha , well put!. Im bottoming out the plug on the esc, i think the terminals themselves just dont have enough spring tension to grab the pins.