RC Enthusiast

Chargers and more chargers

Ok everyone I am completely new to the hobby. I have been wanting to get an RC for a very long time but due to other hobbies I just didnít have the time or money. Now I do and Iím going big, getting the 2.0 Revo! I have done quite a bit of research and think Iím going to go with SMC batteries for my rig. My question is do I go with SMC charger or is there a better one out there? Seems everything is pretty universal as long as you have the right connections. Let me know your two cents worth!

RC Qualifier
    Dynamite prophet sport duo is a great one. Check it out on google... great value and great charger. The hitec x2 plus is always an option if your wallet is overstuffed.

I've been using the Hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition for a few years, and it's been fantastic. Originally, I purchased it to charge (using a custom adapter) batteries for my DJI Phantom 3 Pro, and then my Yuneec Typhoon H. Now, in addition to charging the Typhoon H batteries, I'm using it to charge my Gens Ace & SMC batteries for my Rustler 4x4.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome! Thanks for the info! Just like batteries there are a ton of different chargers out there and money is not an issue, I just want to get the best one. If it’s cheaper than the others that is just an added bonus!

RC Enthusiast
    Will I need to get an adapter for the dynamite charger for the SMC batteries or is everything included?

Never mind, just got to open my eyes and read!
    Last edited by RocBoy; 02-02-2019 at 10:05 PM.

RC Champion
    If been running a hitech for a few years and it's been great... just wished I would have planned ahead and got a 4 port instead of the 2

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    If been running a hitech for a few years and it's been great... just wished I would have planned ahead and got a 4 port instead of the 2

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Yea, I know what ya mean...after I got my X2 Plus Black, I initially thought the same thing. However, then I realized something...for the price of the X4 Pro, you can get two X2 Plus Black Editions, and have enough money left over for a good lunch, or a cheap dinner.

If I ever get to the point that I truly NEED to charge 4 batteries simultaneously (tho I doubt that would be a true NEED), I can always but a second X2 Black. Heck, might even get the non-Black, and save another $10 (since you can't have 2 occurrences of the app running on a single phone/tablet at the same time).

RC Racer
    Icharger duo packs punch of Amps. I use them to charge my Erevo. Packs in parallel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I am new too, to the electric side anyway.
    I have the revo 2.0 and I bought the traxxas battery's and charger...

I just thought no messing around with the connectors and I know its all the same brand...

am I doing it wrong and should I be using different brand batteries?

RC Racer
    The Traxxas brand are ok. But be sure you match the cells and amp rating. SMC are a trusted brand as well and they last a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I’m running the Venom Quad Procharger and I’m very happy with it. It’s a 4channel charger with 100watts per channel. Something to keep in mind with all of these chargers is their charge rates. So if a charger says “ 100 watts of power, charge at 7amps” or something to that effect, does not mean that all batteries will charge at 7 amps. So my Venom charger has those exact specs. What that means is that for a 1, 2, or 3 cell battery you can indeed charge them at 7amps. So for a fully charged 3 cell: 12.6 volts multiplied by 7 amps is 88.2 watts now in the case of a 4s battery: 16.8volts times 7 amps is 117.6 watts. My charger can not truly charge the battery at 7 amps. The most it can do is 5.9 amps. It’s limited to 100 watts. This concept holds true for all chargers you’re looking at. I just used my chargers specs as an example. Another good charger to look into with a lot more power is the Hobby Mate Duo D6. AC/DC capable with 200watts per channel on AC and 350 per channel on DC.

RC Enthusiast
    I think I made up my mind and am going with Hitec. Seems to be awesome and after researching a little it seems a lot of good things/reviews about it. I’m getting the 11.1V 7200MaH SMC batteries so I can have a little more run time. Getting them with the Traxxas connectors, and I’m also getting banana connectors to Traxxas for the charger. I think I have all my bases covered! Now correct me if I’m wrong but the Hitec is 100-250 watt and a charge up to 10 amps.

RC Enthusiast
    I have been reading up on batteries and there are some that are better than others. I have heard a lot of good things about SMC. I have also found which ones I don’t want to even think about getting. Like anishkgt said Traxxas ones are ok, I was just wanting the best I could get. It just so happens the SMC are cheaper, I still would have got them if they were more than Traxxas.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Yea, I know what ya mean...after I got my X2 Plus Black, I initially thought the same thing. However, then I realized something...for the price of the X4 Pro, you can get two X2 Plus Black Editions, and have enough money left over for a good lunch, or a cheap dinner.

If I ever get to the point that I truly NEED to charge 4 batteries simultaneously (tho I doubt that would be a true NEED), I can always but a second X2 Black. Heck, might even get the non-Black, and save another $10 (since you can't have 2 occurrences of the app running on a single phone/tablet at the same time).

Thanks for that little bit of info! I was actually looking at the x4. Didn’t even notice I could get two x2 for less!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RocBoy View Post
    I think I made up my mind and am going with Hitec. Seems to be awesome and after researching a little it seems a lot of good things/reviews about it. I’m getting the 11.1V 7200MaH SMC batteries so I can have a little more run time. Getting them with the Traxxas connectors, and I’m also getting banana connectors to Traxxas for the charger. I think I have all my bases covered! Now correct me if I’m wrong but the Hitec is 100-250 watt and a charge up to 10 amps.
    Are you talking about the Hitec X2 Black? If so that charger is good for 100 watts on AC and 200 on DC. It will charge up to 10 amps but read my previous post about the whole watt and amp thing. In this case the most you can charge a 3s battery if the charger is running off of AC is about 8 amps. ( 100 watts divided by 12.6volts) Plugged into a DC power supply you can use all 10amps. If you’re using this for just 3s then this will be more than enough. I personally like to charge at a 1C charge rate so for a 7200Mah battery, that would be 7.2 amps. I currently run SMC batteries in my ERevo and XMaxx. They are awesome batteries and a great choice.

RC Champion

im usually charging for 2 summits at the same time so their is my 4 LOL... i have 2 chargers a cheaper charger that i hate and also hate that i have to go grab 2 chargers all the time..

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by vans5oh View Post
    Are you talking about the Hitec X2 Black? If so that charger is good for 100 watts on AC and 200 on DC. It will charge up to 10 amps but read my previous post about the whole watt and amp thing. In this case the most you can charge a 3s battery if the charger is running off of AC is about 8 amps. ( 100 watts divided by 12.6volts) Plugged into a DC power supply you can use all 10amps. If you’re using this for just 3s then this will be more than enough. I personally like to charge at a 1C charge rate so for a 7200Mah battery, that would be 7.2 amps. I currently run SMC batteries in my ERevo and XMaxx. They are awesome batteries and a great choice.
    Yes sir that is the one that I’m talking about, thanks for dumbing that down haha I think I get it now. I don’t plan on doing anything more than 2S or 3S lipos. I appreciate all the info, hopefully before too long I will get all this stuff down!

Yes sir that is the one that Iím talking about, thanks for dumbing that down haha I think I get it now. I donít plan on doing anything more than 2S or 3S lipos. I appreciate all the info, hopefully before too long I will get all this stuff down!
    Having spoken with several people at different shops, everyone has agreed that the Hitec X2 (both, standard & Black Edition) is an excellent charger...not just "excellent for the money", but excellent, period. One thing to take note of - while several chargers, including the X2 & X4, will allow you to charge LiPo batteries at an Amp rate higher then the battery manufacturers recommend maximum, I HIGHLY recommend avoiding doing so. Yes, you'll charge your batteries faster, but you're also taking chances...not only with your own equipment, but with those around you. You'll find plenty of people charging batteries at higher Amperage, and telling you, "It's ok"...DO NOT listen to them. Better safe than sorry.

RC Racer
    Yes sir that is the one that I’m talking about, thanks for dumbing that down haha I think I get it now. I don’t plan on doing anything more than 2S or 3S lipos. I appreciate all the info, hopefully before too long I will get all this stuff down!
    Awesome and I’m glad to help. I just want to make sure you’re making an informed decision and getting something that will last for a long long time. You may not plan on using it for anything bigger than 3s now but I’m willing to bet if you stick around the hobbyblong enough you will.

RC Enthusiast
    Having spoken with several people at different shops, everyone has agreed that the Hitec X2 (both, standard & Black Edition) is an excellent charger...not just "excellent for the money", but excellent, period. One thing to take note of - while several chargers, including the X2 & X4, will allow you to charge LiPo batteries at an Amp rate higher then the battery manufacturers recommend maximum, I HIGHLY recommend avoiding doing so. Yes, you'll charge your batteries faster, but you're also taking chances...not only with your own equipment, but with those around you. You'll find plenty of people charging batteries at higher Amperage, and telling you, "It's ok"...DO NOT listen to them. Better safe than sorry.

Oh yeah I definitely donít plan on doing that, I do know enough about batteries to know you donít want to charge them too fast or overcharge them. Thatís a good way to start a fire!🔥 I appreciate the heads up though!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by vans5oh View Post
    Awesome and I’m glad to help. I just want to make sure you’re making an informed decision and getting something that will last for a long long time. You may not plan on using it for anything bigger than 3s now but I’m willing to bet if you stick around the hobbyblong enough you will.
    I don’t plan on leaving the hobby anytime soon that’s for sure haha. I have gotten the itch! Also I have a son that wants a “big boy” (he is 3) RC car so bad his teeth hurt! So I’m sure you’re right that I will probably need something that can handle up to 6s, but for the time being I think this will be the best option for me. Thanks again for the help!

Not to hijack this thread...but is the Hitec x2 Ac charger 100 watts per side? Or 100 watts total? Watching a couple videos looks like its 100 watts total on AC shared over to channels and 200 watts over DC. What kind of charge time is it taking for 3s 7200mah packs when charging 2 at once.

Secondly anyone have thoughts on the Venom Pro Duo charger?
    It would appear that this is truly 80 watts per side on AC. Trying to get best bang for my buck as others have listed and I came across it. Looks pretty good and am leaning towards it, but wanted to get thoughts.
    Last edited by RICK DIZZLE; 02-20-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Not to hijack this thread...but is the Hitec x2 Ac charger 100 watts per side? Or 100 watts total? What kind of charge time is it taking for 3s 7200mah packs when charging 2 at once.
    First, wattage depends on whether you're connected to AC or DC source. AC will give you 100W total, while DC will give you 200W total.

Second, I only have one 3S 7200mAh battery, so can't tell you how long for two. And, since the LHS indoor track only allows 2S (in ALL vehicles), it's extremely unlikely I'll be purchasing any more 3S batteries (however, if/when I do make it to other...especially outdoor...tracks, I'll start picking up some 4S packs for my 1/8 buggy.