RC Enthusiast

Raspy Brushed motor

So, just today, I got my motor, ESC, and receiver back into my 1/16 slash and did a throttle test just to make sure that the channels were right. however when I pressed on the throttle, I found out that the (brushed) motor made a kinda raspy sound. I squirted a bit of WD-40 in hoping it would fix it but it didn't. Im wondering if anyone around here knows what's happening to my motor? it's around 6 months old, maybe it's starting to fail? it still seems chunky so I don't think so. this is after around 2 weeks of fixing a connection between the ESC and battery.

can someone maybe tell me the problem? I can put it in the car and drive normally without hearing it. it only rasps around mid-throttle.

Thanks for checking this out, I would like to hear a reply. haven't been getting much support from here lately.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry about not getting much support man... this is kind of a dead forum, so nobody really checks it. If you drive it often and have had the motor for 6 months, it is likely that you need a new one, however check that the diffs are not shredded. Try holding all four tires and then applying throttle. If it makes the clicking noise again, that is a shredded diff. If not, just get a new motor...

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the reply helped a lot. I dont think the diff is shredded because I tested the motor outside the car but I dont understand why the motor would die. I had waited a few weeks getting a new battery a few months back and a few more weeks through soldering. I don't use it too much, around once a week. I would think the motor would be still strong, but I tested it today and it felt more weak then before. maybe it's just the snow.. it was less then a inch though. again, thanks for the reply, it helped.

RC Qualifier
    Brushed motors just wear out, sitting or not. The worst thing for them is starting them after a long hiatus without the proper lubrication and break in. The snow probably damaged though. If a motor gets extremely hot and something extremely cold touches it (snow) it cracks/breaks. A lot of muscle cars from the 60's actually had their engines crack at the weak spots if you tried to pour cold water on them if it was overheating. Same goes for rc brushed motors. Except normally they don't crack on the outside, the brushes and internal parts crack.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Brushed motors just wear out, sitting or not. The worst thing for them is starting them after a long hiatus without the proper lubrication and break in. The snow probably damaged though. If a motor gets extremely hot and something extremely cold touches it (snow) it cracks/breaks. A lot of muscle cars from the 60's actually had their engines crack at the weak spots if you tried to pour cold water on them if it was overheating. Same goes for rc brushed motors. Except normally they don't crack on the outside, the brushes and internal parts crack.
    Does this happen with brushless motors as well?

RC Enthusiast
    Well.. that was the first time testing it in the snow... it happened before i went in the snow. I always keep the slash inside too. are their any other reasons that this may happen? and... thanks for the support I hope this helps for other beginners.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzell23 View Post
    Does this happen with brushless motors as well?
    Brushless motors have no brushes, and are generally watertight, so no... at least i think lol

RC Qualifier
    Correcto. Brushless motors aren't wear items like brushed ones are. Brushless ones only die if you overheat them from misuse. The only maintenance you'll ever have to do is replace the bearings, but they last for years.

RC Qualifier
    If you are going to buy a new brushed motor, you should consider the rs540 motor IMO. It is old and probably not as powerful as the titan 12t, but because it is old, it has lots of mods available. It will probably last longer too...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    If you are going to buy a new brushed motor, you should consider the rs540 motor IMO. It is old and probably not as powerful as the titan 12t, but because it is old, it has lots of mods available. It will probably last longer too...

Thanks for the the suggestion. very budget-friendly, like I need. though my old soldering iron broke and I have no Idea how to replace the motor. is it just the connection of polarities on the motor? it looks smaller and is probally less prone to flipping my slash. seems like a good motor. and what do you mean "upgrades?"

RC Enthusiast
    I can't hear the raspy sound anymore. the motor runs just fine. is this a good thing?