Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Crushed

RC Qualifier
    I know I would buy a newer updated version of the E-Maxx in a heartbeat. I hope Traxxas will do an update and refresh of this platform and bring it back. I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    The set that I used once long ago, actually had a metal ring in the middle of the string and you could insert your middle and ring finger in it and you didn't have to worry about pinching the string. The down side is, I ended up clacking the side of my head with them because you couldn't let go of them as fast when they started to get out of control with the ring.

I think they were just hardened heavy acrylic plastic or wood, not hardened glass back in the late 60's early 70's.
    I never seen any wooden ones, but I don't know for sure what they were made from to tell you the truth...to long ago. Like you, I do know they hurt like he-ell when you got clocked in the noggin by one. In our day, those little round bruises (all over your body) were respected adolescent battle trophies. No fake participation trophy crap back then. You earned your pain and brusises. (lol)
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    I then remember doing very well in a UK School exam.
    No, tell me it isn't so. I would think (out of all the guys here) that a British guy would understand the mystique of the Emaxx, because the Emaxx attraction is much like the late British roadsters of the 50's, 60's and early 70's. Remember Austin Healey's Bug Eye, the Jaguar XK-E, Jaguar XK-120, Lotus Elan, the Midget, the MGB, the Triumph Spitfire, and the Triumph TR4, TR6, TR7...just to name a few. They were all great cars.

What made them so great, you all are asking? it wasn't there reliability. It was there styling and handling. No other car (today or back then) drove and had the same feel as a British roadster. I wasn't old enough to have one back then, but restored and had many of them in my young adult years. That's why the first series Mazda Miata has such a great following. Mazda was able to recaptured most of the feel of the late great British roadster, and coupled it with great Jap reliability.

The Emaxx is much like the classic British roadster. Yes, there are many 1/8th Monster RC trucks out there. And, yes they may be a tad more reliable, but none of them have the same classic design and feel of the Traxxas Emaxx. At best they're want-a-be's. The Traxxas Emaxx feels like it's a part of you (and, you a part of it) when you are controlling it, rather than just feeling like a small controllable machine. It's truly a classic work of RC mechanical art.

What's the bad news for Traxxas, here? None of their other products have the same mystique, the same feel, the same classic design as the Emaxx. Yes, Traxxas makes other nice RC vehicles, but they lack the Emaxx mystique and character.

What's the good news for Traxxas? Fortunately for Traxxas, none of the other RC companies make anything like the Emaxx either. As I said before, I think Traxxas is making a terrible mistake by not keeping and updating their Emaxx. In the end, though, if some other RC company ever gets smart and makes an Emaxx (an Emaxx with all the fixes we've all come up with over the years) Traxxas is going to kick themselves for not making a Emaxx 2.0.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-03-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Honestly traxxas should just sell the pro.15 era version with a 12 inch wheel base, twwwoooo brushed motors, old maxx sized cheveron and a classic body. Do that as a limited run release series every couple of years. Like tamiya dose, sell old stuff in limited runs for nostalgia. The emaxx should be remembered for being the first, its cool i want to get an old one off ebay. but would i recommend one to a basher... Mmm no.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

Quote Originally Posted by IanRose View Post
    Honestly traxxas should just sell the pro.15 era version with a 12 inch wheel base, twwwoooo brushed motors, old maxx sized cheveron and a classic body. Do that as a limited run release series every couple of years. Like tamiya dose, sell old stuff in limited runs for nostalgia. The emaxx should be remembered for being the first, its cool i want to get an old one off ebay. but would i recommend one to a basher... Mmm no.
    That's a good idea, but they should do it with the brushless version. The brushed version you have to use 4s. With the brushless version you can use 4s for reliability, or mod up for use with 6s. I'd recommend the Brushless Emaxx for bashing. It's a great 6s truck when you fix the few little oversights with it, and you can do it for under 150 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    That's a good idea, but they should do it with the brushless version. The brushed version you have to use 4s. With the brushless version you can use 4s for reliability, or mod up for use with 6s. I'd recommend the Brushless Emaxx for bashing. It's a great 6s truck when you fix the few little oversights with it, and you can do it for under 150 bucks.
    Thats not really nostalgic though, the brushless emaxx was what, the 4th generation? The small pro. 15 erra twin brushed e-maxx is nostalgic. I had a lot great times with my tmaxx, but once the revo came out there was really no turning back. Way more durable, better handling, basically the same price. My slash 4x4 setup as a long stampede is about the same size as my old maxx and 400% more of the rc my tmaxx was. Just the weight of 6s is more then the maxx was meant to handle let alone the power. Emaxx should be remeberd by the original version, it came out 10-15 plus years before anything else like it. But other then esthetics, a revo2.0 is better in litterly everyway. I love the monster truck looks of the old emaxx, but thats about it. A built up emaxx is great but... Those cost more then a revo, almost as much as an emAxx sometimes.
    ------

I meant to say a built emaxx could cost as much as a stock xmaxx.
    bet traxxas still makes emaxx parts. Like, i think
    theyll keep making small batches of the parts. It would kill there image to stop stocking maxx parts, plusss the good ol tmaxx is still around so there is most of the parts you need right there.
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by IanRose View Post
    It would kill there image to stop stocking maxx parts, plusss the good ol tmaxx is still around so there is most of the parts you need right there.
    I think you're right on that.

As far as the ERevo 1.0 and 2.0 goes, I never cared for either. I don't want to beat up on it or anything, but I'm just not a big truggy fan. Now, this where you say "It's not a truggy. It's a monster truck." And then, this is when I start coughing, saying "Bull Crap*caugh*caugh*Bull Crap." (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-06-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I think you're right on that.

As far as the ERevo 1.0 and 2.0 goes, I never cared for either. I don't want to beat up on it or anything, but I'm just not a big truggy fan. Now, this where you say "It's not a truggy. It's a monster truck." And then, this is when I start coughing, saying "Bull Crap*caugh*caugh*Bull Crap." (lol)
    I'm with you. For me, the revo didn't replace the t-maxx. Very different geometry and honestly, if the maxx diffs held up like my erevo and the bulks had alloy captured hinge pins, I'd get rid of the revo in a heart beat. It's so much easier setting up a t/e-maxx with 8 robust shocks to take the abuse an erevo just cannot do. I have many snapped shocks, pushrods, busted ends to show for it.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I'm with you. If the maxx diffs held up like my erevo and the bulks had alloy captured hinge pins, I'd get rid of the revo in a heart beat.
    You might want to start finding a buyer for your ERevo, cause I figured out those problems a while back. To keep your bulkheads intact, you want to drill out their hinge pin guides, because they're way to tight. This causes them to break during bad tumbling.

As far as your hinge pins go, you want them to be able to break. They act like a mechanical fuse that protects the bulkheads and suspension arms. The trick is, though, to make them cheap and easy to replace. To make them easy to replace Dremel away their access holes on your skid plates. To make them cheaper, you can buy a pack of hinge pins and cut the longer pins (that are used for other vehicles) down to the size used for the Emaxx. This more than triples the pins you can get from the pack.

As far as the diffs go, all you have to do is a couple of things to make them 99% bullet proof. First, replace the pinion gear bearings with Oillite bushings. And two, flip your CV drive shaft's drive cup to the diff end, and shim with a 6mm shim.

There you go. There are other things you can do for your Emaxx. After I worked the bugs out of mine it's one of my most reliable RC vehicles. Also, you don't need a aluminum diff cases. I got mine as a Christmas present, so I have them. The stock diff cases work just fine with these mod tips.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-09-2019 at 05:07 AM.

RC poster
    there are also a few 1/8 drop in diff options now that help a ton.
    I run aluminum bulks that are drilled and tapped with set screws.
    For hinge pins i use 1/8" drill blanks which break rather then bend. I can get them for about a dollar a piece.

bullet proof maxx for sure

I got to say, that I've never seen a drop in 1/8 diff option for the Emaxx. The only thing I've ever seen is a 1/8 diff option, and it was very expensive, and was very labor intensive. Also, just for the sake of discussion mind you, I've never had my Traxxas hinge pins bend. They have always broken. Anyway, just letting you know what I've experienced and seen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12