RC poster

Newbie Revo 3.3 owner saying hello

Hi everyone!

I just received my new Revo 3.3 a couple of days ago and I am excited to try my hand at the nitro rc world. I have some experience with RC cars and mechanics in general but I have none with nitro cars. My ownership did get off to a bit of a rocky start as my Revo arrived with a broken rear axle carrier, but the retailer has been more than accommodating and Traxxas has already shipped the new parts . Hopefully I can finish getting the Revo setup and running soon.

I will be running the Revo mostly on grass and maybe a few runs on the street but I am not really into jumping, bashing, or racing. I would like to keep my Revo as close to stock as possible although I am not opposed to making sensible upgrades. I am looking for reliability rather than performance. If you have any advice or recommendations for a newbie in nitro cars, please feel free to drop a comment.

Thank you and I look forward to meeting everyone on the forum!

Vade

RC Competitor
    Welcome aboard! From on Revo newb to another.

I asked some similar questions here in this subforum and got some good advice. Seems the Revo is a pretty solid truck right out of the box. So that said, I'll wait to do some suspension upgrades with RPM parts till something breaks.

I probably won't be running my new Revo for the first time for several more weeks. Here in Central NYS it's the middle of winter and not the best weather to break in a new engine. I did pick up a used 1st gen T-Maxx Pro .15 project to keep me occupied till then.

RC poster
    Hi Ride Red and nice to meet you!

I just read your thread and the advice about the slipper clutch was great. I also found a guide to the suspension setup for the TMaxx that may be of help to you with both of your models: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF81in808NQ

I too have the challenge of cold weather to deal with but we sometimes get lucky and have a 60 degree day here in Denver. I do not know if this would still be considered too cold to do the break-in but maybe some of the forum members have input on this?

I hope you have great luck with the Tmaxx project - that sounds like a new project thread for the forum! It is always neat to follow the builds and see how they progress. What are you planning to do to it?

Take care and keep me posted on the Revo and TMaxx!

Vade

RC Competitor
    Plans for the old Maxx are simply to bring it back up to snuff and leave it stock, including the old Pro .15 engine. It needs some TLC and it's going to get it. I have a complete stainless hardware kit coming for it and I'll probably completely disassemble it to replace the factory hardware (of which probably 70% of it is all buggered up) as well as a give it a good cleaning. I have a thread in the Maxx subforum on that one as well. I'll have to see if my old Photobucket account is still active so I can post up some pics.

60 degrees should be just fine for break in. According to my manual, under 45 degrees requires measures need to be taken to help the engine maintain proper temps for break-in. Figure I'll just wait...probably go nuts in the meantime! Lol!

60 will be just fine. Maybe a slight turn richer on the high-speed needle.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Hey RR,

That sounds like a really cool project! The stainless kit will look sweet on the truck! If you get a chance, post some pics in your thread.

I was worried about the cooler temps up here for the break-in, so thanks for the reassuring info! The manual mentioned something about wrapping the cylinder head if cold outside but I am not sure I will do that unless my temp readouts are very low. Can anyone offer some insight on what temperatures I should be seeing during the break-in? I really like the idea of being able to monitor rpms and temp by phone so hopefully it can be of help during the break-in process.

Good to hear from you, RR, and thanks again for the info!

RC poster
    Hey Double G.!

Thank you - I will make sure to try that!

You want temps around 210 or so and less than 270. Just note that though the temp gauge will be accurate, it is not in the desired location for reading the temp of the engine: the glow plug. Use temperature as a tool rather than the end-all.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks for the info on the temps., Double G. I will be sure to monitor that once I get far enough to get the Revo started.

Right now I have been looking for wheels and tires for the street but I am having trouble finding any that fit. I really like the Sweep Road Crusher wheels and tires but the Revo is not listed as compatible. Does anyone know of similar wheels and tires that would fit the Revo?

Thank you!

https://www.sweepracingusa.com/Monst...set_p_568.html
    Or Proline Road Rage on 3.8” rims.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thank you! I wasn't sure if either would fit. Found a video comparison of the two brands andit looks to me as if the Sweep Racing ones would be the best choice for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1HHZUC2WYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZm5fir1rmY

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, Double G.!

RC poster
    Hi everyone,

I had a chance to take apart the Revo to install the replacement axle carrier. I found nothing wrong with the axle carrier but the outer rear wheel bearing was missing

I also installed the wing on the Revo and was a bit disappointed to find that it is mounted quite low for my taste. I will have to figure out a way to shim it just enough that it will clear the body completely. If anyone has a suggestion, please speak up.

I decided to do a full suspension setup and alignment as well. I had to extend the front rods a lot to get rid of the outside toe and get it to zero. Another challenge was the tires that were taller than my camber tool and a toe tool that was not long enough to measure from center to center on the tires I made do with what I had and the end result is not too bad. I will balance the tires later but have decided to run a set of Sweep Racing belted tires to negate the infamous ballooning of the stock tires. Also incoming is a Platinum body that I hope to design and paint when temps are a bit nicer. For lights I had wanted to install light buckets on the Revo but I could not seem to find a direct aftermarket fit so I ended up with a small kit from RClighthouse instead. I will post some pics of the progress when I get a chance.

Vade

RC poster
    Hey everyone.

I just finished masking the body and I hope I will get away with this paint job without too many flaws.

I have chosen a sapphire blue pearl as the main color, pearl black for accents, and silver for backing/lightning bolts. I would like to use some Rustoleum tint spray on the windows but I am not sure the Testor and Rustoleum paints are compatible with one another.

The light buckets are on their way and I can't wait to see if I can make them work with this body. I will have to design my own headlight masks unless I can find some leftover stickers in the perfect size.

The LED kit came in a couple of days ago but I really do not like how they are wired. I have decided to cut all the wires from the harness and solder my own harness together. I think I can simplify the installation, making it both nicer looking but also lightweight. The power source will be a 9v battery in a cover box with a handy on/off switch.

I will post some more pics when I get further in trouble

Vade

RC Competitor
    You've been busy!

RC poster
    Hey Ride Red!

Yea, it has become a bigger project than expected but I enjoy the time spent fiddling around and creating my own design. The Platinum body was more of a design project and the body will probably not be very practical for running the Revo. This winter we are seeing a lot of snowfall so both the Revo and my motorcycle are not getting out. This is what cabin fever looks like people How is your build coming along, Ride Red?

RC Competitor
    My T-Maxx build is all done and came out great. The old Pro .15 runs like a watch and is easy as pie to dial in. I've added a Hitec 645mg steering servo, Hot Racing aluminum servo saver for it, TQi RX with TSM, 5 cell 6v hump battery pack and charging adapter and a few other little things. I've ordered the temp and voltage sensor and will be installing that when it arrives. The old Maxx has been alot of fun to fix up and upgrade.

RC poster
    Hey Ride Red!

I want to see some pics of that TMaxx! I think that thing is a beast and would like to add one to my garage sooner rather than later. The Pro also sounds like a fun project but I have to wait a few months to let the wife cool down after buying the Revo
    I began painting yesterday. The light buckets that came in did not fit but I gather I can use them for something else later. The paint will go through a couple of more steps over the next week and hopefully I can get away with a decent result. I do fear that the paint has bled through the three-step masking tape and I wonder how my design will turn out. Fingers crossed!

Vade

RC Competitor
    Looks good Vade, nice work.

As to T-Maxx pics, I'll have to see if my old Photobucket account is still working and post some pics.

RC poster
    Finally got a chance to put the final layers of paint on the body. Unfortunately the paint design fell short of my expectations but that is how it goes. The masking tape did not give clean lines although the body was completely dry. I decided to make the best of the paint job and the end result is not bad at all but I will leave that up to you to decide. I will finalize the body with a few LED's just for fun and post some pictures when the body is complete.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Vade

RC poster
    Finished the last few touches on the Revo this afternoon and here is the result:

I will put a few decals on the Revo once I get around to it. But for now, I hope you enjoy the fruit of my hard work and endless trips to the parts store

Vade

Dang! That is a nice looking Revo you got! I've never painted a body before, but yours looks good.
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    Hi Sp2 and thank you for the compliment! If you ever want to do a body, I will be happy to help with any good advice I can!

Vade