RC poster

Newbie Revo 3.3 owner saying hello

Hi everyone!

I just received my new Revo 3.3 a couple of days ago and I am excited to try my hand at the nitro rc world. I have some experience with RC cars and mechanics in general but I have none with nitro cars. My ownership did get off to a bit of a rocky start as my Revo arrived with a broken rear axle carrier, but the retailer has been more than accommodating and Traxxas has already shipped the new parts . Hopefully I can finish getting the Revo setup and running soon.

I will be running the Revo mostly on grass and maybe a few runs on the street but I am not really into jumping, bashing, or racing. I would like to keep my Revo as close to stock as possible although I am not opposed to making sensible upgrades. I am looking for reliability rather than performance. If you have any advice or recommendations for a newbie in nitro cars, please feel free to drop a comment.

Thank you and I look forward to meeting everyone on the forum!

Vade

RC Enthusiast
    Welcome aboard! From on Revo newb to another.

I asked some similar questions here in this subforum and got some good advice. Seems the Revo is a pretty solid truck right out of the box. So that said, I'll wait to do some suspension upgrades with RPM parts till something breaks.

I probably won't be running my new Revo for the first time for several more weeks. Here in Central NYS it's the middle of winter and not the best weather to break in a new engine. I did pick up a used 1st gen T-Maxx Pro .15 project to keep me occupied till then.

RC poster
    Hi Ride Red and nice to meet you!

I just read your thread and the advice about the slipper clutch was great. I also found a guide to the suspension setup for the TMaxx that may be of help to you with both of your models: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF81in808NQ

I too have the challenge of cold weather to deal with but we sometimes get lucky and have a 60 degree day here in Denver. I do not know if this would still be considered too cold to do the break-in but maybe some of the forum members have input on this?

I hope you have great luck with the Tmaxx project - that sounds like a new project thread for the forum! It is always neat to follow the builds and see how they progress. What are you planning to do to it?

Take care and keep me posted on the Revo and TMaxx!

Vade

RC Enthusiast
    Plans for the old Maxx are simply to bring it back up to snuff and leave it stock, including the old Pro .15 engine. It needs some TLC and it's going to get it. I have a complete stainless hardware kit coming for it and I'll probably completely disassemble it to replace the factory hardware (of which probably 70% of it is all buggered up) as well as a give it a good cleaning. I have a thread in the Maxx subforum on that one as well. I'll have to see if my old Photobucket account is still active so I can post up some pics.

60 degrees should be just fine for break in. According to my manual, under 45 degrees requires measures need to be taken to help the engine maintain proper temps for break-in. Figure I'll just wait...probably go nuts in the meantime! Lol!

60 will be just fine. Maybe a slight turn richer on the high-speed needle.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Hey RR,

That sounds like a really cool project! The stainless kit will look sweet on the truck! If you get a chance, post some pics in your thread.

I was worried about the cooler temps up here for the break-in, so thanks for the reassuring info! The manual mentioned something about wrapping the cylinder head if cold outside but I am not sure I will do that unless my temp readouts are very low. Can anyone offer some insight on what temperatures I should be seeing during the break-in? I really like the idea of being able to monitor rpms and temp by phone so hopefully it can be of help during the break-in process.

Good to hear from you, RR, and thanks again for the info!

RC poster
    Hey Double G.!

Thank you - I will make sure to try that!

You want temps around 210 or so and less than 270. Just note that though the temp gauge will be accurate, it is not in the desired location for reading the temp of the engine: the glow plug. Use temperature as a tool rather than the end-all.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks for the info on the temps., Double G. I will be sure to monitor that once I get far enough to get the Revo started.

Right now I have been looking for wheels and tires for the street but I am having trouble finding any that fit. I really like the Sweep Road Crusher wheels and tires but the Revo is not listed as compatible. Does anyone know of similar wheels and tires that would fit the Revo?

Thank you!

https://www.sweepracingusa.com/Monst...set_p_568.html
    Or Proline Road Rage on 3.8” rims.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thank you! I wasn't sure if either would fit. Found a video comparison of the two brands andit looks to me as if the Sweep Racing ones would be the best choice for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1HHZUC2WYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZm5fir1rmY

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, Double G.!