Thread: Over usage?

Over usage?

Hey all, i am wondering if you could possibly overuse a lipo battery, like if you charge and use it too many times in one day. I know they will eventually die anyway. I am using one of the traxxas 2s 2200mAh

any advice will help!
    I like free stuff!

I would let it rest between discharge and charging. Doesn't have to be long, what your looking for is heat. Letting the lipo rest let's it dissipate heat between cycles
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Ok, thanks! I forgot to mention, i am running it in snow right now, so would the wait be shorter then?

Wait, never mind.
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 02-08-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: I figgured it out
    I like free stuff!

A battery will have 200-500 charge cycles - depending on who you ask and the care for it. As long as you don't over-discharge, let it rest between cycles and storage charge it when sitting for longer than a day or two you'll be on the higher end.
    The Super Derecho

Thanks! So, after i run a 2s, should it be close to 7.4v when i stop? Or could i discharge it more? Or less?
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier

Over usage?

If you run your Summit 1/16th in lipo mode it will automatically stop the battery from discharging too far. Once the vehicle slows, bring it in ASAP and let the battery cool off. Then recharge it or place it into storage mode as said. You donít really want to take the cells below 3.5vpc. So for a 2s lipo that would be 7v or close to that. Donít know exactly what your LVC will kick in at but if memory serves me right itís about 3.5-3.7vpc. Or 7-7.4vdc.

Here's where it gets confusing, maybe. A good low voltage cutoff is 3.5v/cell but Traxxas's is 3.3v or so. Storage charge is 3.8v/cell. Fully charged is 4.2v/cell.

If the ESC is in lipo mode the truck will stop because it hit low voltage. If you try to continue to drive it the battery will become over-discharged and puff and it's life will be much shorter.
    The Super Derecho

Ok, thanks! My truck slows around 7.4v in all, or 3.7v per cell. Can i change the settings on my ESC to let it go down to about 7.2v for longer runtime?
    I like free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    Ok, thanks! My truck slows around 7.4v in all, or 3.7v per cell. Can i change the settings on my ESC to let it go down to about 7.2v for longer runtime?
    Not with the traxxas esc. Can you purchase a larger battery?
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Ok, and no, i need $ because i just dimmed my diffs and put 60k oil in them. They both took 4 shims, and i did not test to see if they would take more, because i ran out. I am planning on buying another battery eventually though (most likely a smc). one day

They are the associated ones.
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 02-08-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    I like free stuff!