Slipper Clutch /Unit vs Center Differential vs Center One-Way Differential

Technically, this also applies to the Slash 4x4, & a few other Traxxas 4x4s, just as much as it does the Rustler 4x4. The "stock" units is the basic #5351/5352 slipper clutch...but one can "upgrade" to the Traxxas #6814 Center Diff. The problem I'm having with this is the plastic center diff spur gear...ok, and the plastic center diff casing.

I'm seriously looking into a center diff, although, if I go that route, I'd also prefer a machined metal center diff spur gear, and probably a machined aluminum center diff case. I'll presume that the majority of your will agree with not only switching to a center diff, but also swapping the spur gear (and, maybe, even the casing). However, instead of a typical center diff, I'm also considering the Hot Racing Center One-Way Diff. So, this is going to be a 3-part question.

1) In regards to swapping to a center diff, is it best to stick with the plastic casing from Traxxas, or switch to a machined aluminum casing (and, if switching, any recommendations)?

2) In regards to the internal spider gears, should I stick with the Traxxas gears, or are there (preferably machined) alternatives (and, again, if so, any recommendations)?

3) Finally, in regards to the 'standard' center diff vs the HR Center One-Way Diff, any suggestions/recommendations/words-of-warning/etc will be greatly appreciated. Having read up a little on it, there appears to be approx a 50-50 for/against...those on tracks with lots of tight turns & short straightaways love it, while those on tracks with wider turns & long straightaways hate it, and recommend avoiding it. To use my local track as reference, there almost an equal amount of long & short straightaways, as well as a fairly equal amount of tight & wide turns - in other words, it's a "well-balanced" track.

Honestly, of the three, I'm thinking a standard center diff might be the best route...but would still like some input from others. As for going the center diff route, in regards to the spur gear, spider gears, and casing, those questions remain to be answered. In the meantime, the new servo finally arrived (but still awaiting the programmer), so time to get it installed & tested (hopefully my client doesn't call me while my Rusty is apart in the back of the limo...lol).

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

For a good long read, see this thhread:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...fferential-cup

For a good read, see this thread (but you don't need to go up to 6mm):
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...P-X-Duty-Users

HHae a great weekend!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

The long & short (pun VERY much intended) of it is, all of the second, and most of the first, were about the front/rear diffs, whereas I was inquiring about the center diff. I knew the XO-1 f/r diffs work on the Slash 4x4 (and, thus, the Rusty 4x4), but I wasn't sure how to go about it...that being said, some extremely useful knowledge was gained, thanks to you...now, I have the info needed (at least where the f/r diffs are concerned).

That info will be put to good use, especially on my next two vehicles (the Slash 4x4 roller should be delivered tomorrow, and the Rustler 4x4 roller should ship within the next few days). Looking forward to these two projects...tho, unfortunately, with my work schedule, it could take quite a while to complete them both.

RC Qualifier
    Just because a center diff fits on a slash 4x4 does not necessarily mean it will fit on the rusty, so be careful and maybe contact support. The slash has a much longer chassis... this is why, you will probably be fine but just make sure

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    The long & short (pun VERY much intended) of it is, all of the second, and most of the first, were about the front/rear diffs, whereas I was inquiring about the center diff. I knew the XO-1 f/r diffs work on the Slash 4x4 (and, thus, the Rusty 4x4), but I wasn't sure how to go about it...that being said, some extremely useful knowledge was gained, thanks to you...now, I have the info needed (at least where the f/r diffs are concerned).

That info will be put to good use, especially on my next two vehicles (the Slash 4x4 roller should be delivered tomorrow, and the Rustler 4x4 roller should ship within the next few days). Looking forward to these two projects...tho, unfortunately, with my work schedule, it could take quite a while to complete them both.

Are you saying that you are going to custom build both a slash 4x4 and a rustler 4x4? If so that awesome man... what power system are you going to use in the slash?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Just because a center diff fits on a slash 4x4 does not necessarily mean it will fit on the rusty, so be careful and maybe contact support. The slash has a much longer chassis... this is why, you will probably be fine but just make sure
    The chassis is different length, but the connection points, as well as all other relevant parts in front, and behind, are the same. If you look at the exploded views you'll see, between standard & optional, they use the same parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Are you saying that you are going to custom build both a slash 4x4 and a rustler 4x4? If so that awesome man... what power system are you going to use in the slash?
    Honestly, haven't decided...tho, technically, not "really" building a Slash & Rusty. I'll be using the chassis, suspension, and drivetrain of both vehicles, but, beyond that, I'll leave it up to your imagination. PM me, and I'll tell ya more.

Sorry about that... I never did get that cup-o-coffee today!

The stock plastic center diff case is fine on 2S power is OK. I have heard they they can get too hot and melt.

If you plan on running 3S power, then go for an aluminum center diff case:

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SLF25H;c=480

or

http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...?prod=FLM26010
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Squeegie, don't be sorry. It might not have been what I initially inquired about, but it WAS helpful, as I gained additional knowledge I didn't realize I needed.

RC Qualifier
    Metal spur isnít necessary until you run 5-6s unless you like more noise and the risk of snapping your motor shaft.

Aluminum diff housing isnít really necessary if you set up your diff correctly. They only melt when driven low on fluid, or when used above 3s power with a super thin fluid. Mine held up fine and I bashed the crap out of it even on 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Metal spur isnít necessary until you run 5-6s unless you like more noise and the risk of snapping your motor shaft.

Aluminum diff housing isnít really necessary if you set up your diff correctly. They only melt when driven low on fluid, or when used above 3s power with a super thin fluid. Mine held up fine and I bashed the crap out of it even on 4s.
    So.......if I get what you're saying, the Traxxas center differential (part #6814) should be "good enough"?

RC Qualifier
    Yup, exactly.

Well, except for maybe replacing the diff spur gear with a machined metal gear?

RC Qualifier
    Well, except for maybe replacing the diff spur gear with a machined metal gear?

Nope the plastic spur will still be totally fine. There’s no reason for a metal spur especially if not running 6s, let alone 2s. It just adds unnecessary risk into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Nope the plastic spur will still be totally fine. Thereís no reason for a metal spur especially if not running 6s, let alone 2s. It just adds unnecessary risk into the game.
    10-4

RC Champion
    i run the center diff with the hr aluminum diff cup. i have had no problems with it.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE