RC poster

Best RX TX for slash 4x4

Iíve been having some trouble with my Futaba 3prka and figure it might be time to upgrade my RX & TX. Iím not looking to spend much more than a $100 and I only need 3 channels at most and I donít think I need much as far as adjustments just steering and throttle trim. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So no bells and whistles, just straight up driving with throttle and steering trim adjustments? If that's the case, I absolutely love the tactic ttx300. It's in your budget, has three channels, throttle and steering trim and adds channel reversing to boot. Decent range, I've never lost signal, and a decent feel. I run three vehicles with the the ttx300, one of which is a slash 4x4. It's my go to budget radio for Thrashers.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    So no bells and whistles, just straight up driving with throttle and steering trim adjustments? If that's the case, I absolutely love the tactic ttx300. It's in your budget, has three channels, throttle and steering trim and adds channel reversing to boot. Decent range, I've never lost signal, and a decent feel. I run three vehicles with the the ttx300, one of which is a slash 4x4. It's my go to budget radio for Thrashers.
    Nice! Thanks for the recommendation, Iím probably gonna sound like a giant newbie but am I able to run multiple cars off this one ? Iíve got a few RTR controllers that I hate lugging around

Recommend the Spektrum DX5C, its around $125, and is very versatile. You can run multiple RCs off of it, Skeptrum-branded RXs are a bit spendy, but you can get DSM2 3-CH RXs off of Amazon for about $15 each.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by mike0314 View Post
    Nice! Thanks for the recommendation, Iím probably gonna sound like a giant newbie but am I able to run multiple cars off this one ? Iíve got a few RTR controllers that I hate lugging around

That I'll have to look into. Don't have the answer away hand.

RC Qualifier
    Yes you can run multiple rcís off the tactic TX. Youíll just need to get some more receivers. They are great transmitters for little price.

RC Qualifier
    Yes you can run multiple RCís off the tactic transmitter. Youíll just need some more receivers to do so. There isnít really much adjustments on them, but they are good for the price.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry for the double post. Had some issues with connection!

RC poster
    Some of these basic receivers like the tactic are you able to set the end points for the steering? I think thatís the issue Iím having with my Futaba my servo doesnít want to turn all the way left and when it does it shakes a little but it works fine with the rtr traxxas controller. Another member said I need to set the end points but I donít think I can with the Futaba 3Prka

RC Qualifier
    Futaba 3pv is in the low 100s. Hard to beat futaba anyway you look at it.

Some of these basic receivers like the tactic are you able to set the end points for the steering? I think thatís the issue Iím having with my Futaba my servo doesnít want to turn all the way left and when it does it shakes a little but it works fine with the rtr traxxas controller. Another member said I need to set the end points but I donít think I can with the Futaba 3Prka

With the tactic it has a knob to adjust the trim for steering. I start all the way up and turn the wheel full throw, then dial it back until the servo isn't straining. Again, the tactic is a very (very!) basic radio. For 60 bucks it can't be beat in my opinion.

For a reliable, no-frills RX/TX at a very low price HPI's TF-40 / RF-40WP combo is a great option.

Importantly it has servo EPA (End Point Adjustment) which I consider to be essential. It also has steering Dual Rate which is a bonus at this money.

You find brand new chop-shopped units on "the Bay" for under $40.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC poster
    I’ve been having some trouble with my Futaba 3prka and figure it might be time to upgrade my RX & TX. I’m not looking to spend much more than a $100 and I only need 3 channels at most and I don’t think I need much as far as adjustments just steering and throttle trim. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks!

I would look into the Flysky GT3B you can pick them up new for 30-40 $ with a receiver and they have a 10 model memory and that will leave ya some extra $ to buy some extra receivers I always thought the Flysky had to be junk because of the price but I got one with a crawler I bought second hand and have fallen in love with it. You can even hacke it and make it to where you can use it with 8ch receivers and like I said they are very inexpensive

My opinion:

youtube.com/c/RazorRC
    razorrcblog.blogspot.com

RC Competitor
    I run a Spektrum DX2E Active, and it is advertised as a 2 channel, but has a 3 channel receiver and an auxiliary 3rd-channel 3-position switch on top. It also has a 3 position throttle limiting switch (50%,75%,100%). I love it, and it is cheap. Mine was $75 USD, and that is including RX/TX
    I quit using auto-correct. It's changed everythong

When I was flying helos, I flew with Spektrum, but, for surface vehicles, it's Futaba. I guess you could say Spektrum rules the air, while Futaba & Sanwa/Airtronics rule the ground. As for specific Tx models, consider not only the features/functions you need now, but any you will want down the road, and combine that info with what you can afford. It's better to spend a bit more now (if you can afford it), as it will save you a lot down the road.

Another thing to consider is how many surface vehicles you might eventually have. I am NOT putting Sanwa/Airtronics down, as their products are excellent (if you go to tracks, you might notice that most med & adv people in the tracks are using Futaba & Sanwa/Airtronics, albeit higher-end models). The thing is, your LHS might try to steer you towards Saves/Airtronics (as opposed to Futaba), because their boxed Tx/Rx combos cost less.

Here's a simple breakdown. If you plan to have no more than 3 surface vehicles, then Sanwa/Airtronics might be a good route for you to go...however, if you plan on having more than 3, Futaba might be your best bet. The reason has little to do with the Tx, as both brands are excellent - it has to do with the Rx pricing. Sanwa/Airtronics receivers cost, on average, approx twice as much as comparable Futaba receivers ($100 vs $55). While the Sanwa/Airtronics might be cheaper to start with, once you've purchased a few receivers, you'll realize you've spent just as much as you would have had you gotten the Futaba...any additional receivers beyond that point, and the Sanwa/Airtronics route will be costing you considerably more.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    I love my old airtronics M8. Heck of a transmitter. Futaba would be my choice for a new updated one. Followed by the sawna MT4.

RC Racer
    I'm looking for a good tx also for long range, is there any tx rx combo that works good for long range that won't break the bank? I only have one car so I don't care about having multi-reciever compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jainm View Post
    I'm looking for a good tx also for long range, is there any tx rx combo that works good for long range that won't break the bank? I only have one car so I don't care about having multi-reciever compatibility.
    If you check YouTube, you'll find attached last a few "distance comparison" videos. I'm NOT trying to "push" Futaba's transmitters...promise...but, from any such video where Futaba's TX & Rx address involved, as far as I can remember, Futaba won every distance shootout, typically exceeding 1,000ft.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    I gotta agree. Futaba will most likely have the best distance out of all TX/RXís. They are just that good! My next transmitter will most likely be something like a futaba 4pk or similar. Not cheap, but well worth the money!!

RC Racer
    I've looked around and they are quite expensive! Do all Futaba transmitters have very good range, or is it only a few in particular?

RC poster
    I just Picked up a 3pk and love it! No regrets!

RC Qualifier
    I have been using a FlySky GT3B for years now without issue. it is not anything special but it works, has enough features, and is cheap. Easy to find under $45 with receivers at $8.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jainm View Post
    I've looked around and they are quite expensive! Do all Futaba transmitters have very good range, or is it only a few in particular?
    The 3pv is fairly low cost compared to other models but still packs tons of features. (more than most will use) I do speed runs where I am sending the car long distances and have not yet ran out of radio range.
    Highly recommend Futaba if range is a top concern!
    There has been many range tests confirming they can go over 1200 ft where many radios stop around 600-850 ft.

-Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by FireSlashRacer View Post
    I run a Spektrum DX2E Active, and it is advertised as a 2 channel, but has a 3 channel receiver and an auxiliary 3rd-channel 3-position switch on top. It also has a 3 position throttle limiting switch (50%,75%,100%). I love it, and it is cheap. Mine was $75 USD, and that is including RX/TX
    I have this one also, and it works great for me! However, mine was $60 with both RX/TX.
    The range isn't crazy far, but for a basher like me its a great deal.
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    For range and speed runs the futaba radios are hard to beat. Seen many vids of range tests and they are by far the best for having long range versus most any other TX/RX. If you are planning on doing speed runs the Futaba line of radios is the way to go hands down. You can spend a little now and have a run away or spend a bit more and have peace of mind!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    I have this one also, and it works great for me! However, mine was $60 with both RX/TX.
    The range isn't crazy far, but for a basher like me its a great deal.
    I'm from canada, so I was guessing the US cost. it was $99.95 CAD
    I quit using auto-correct. It's changed everythong

Oh, you Canadians! Always getting the worst deal! lol, my dad is Canandian, so I have to make fun of you. No hard feelings, right?
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 03-16-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    I like free stuff!

Iíve been having some trouble with my Futaba 3prka and figure it might be time to upgrade my RX & TX. Iím not looking to spend much more than a $100 and I only need 3 channels at most and I donít think I need much as far as adjustments just steering and throttle trim. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks!

There's no reason to shy away from Traxxas radios. I have their best transmitters
    and receivers with blue tooth and link app. The TQi will store all settings fo 30 trucks.
    I've had Futaba's and yes they're good, but not necessary.