RC poster

Question Hex driver set recommendations

I know that Traxxas has its own Tool Kit for sale, and I really like the assortment they have. My only concern is how long the bits will last. I've seen others for sale on Amazon that advertise as being hardened with Titanium Nitride (TiNi).

Anyone got a hex driver kit worth recommending that will last?

RC Qualifier
    MIP. Buy anything cheap and it’ll wear out along with stripping your screws. Don’t believe me try it and report back after you see how much play 95% of the other drivers on the market have .

If you can, get an inexpensive hex-drive screwdriver rachet handle...quality hex-drive metric need bits, but any cheap rachet handle...your fingers, hands, and wrist will thank you for it. What I use is a computer repair tool set, with hex, torx, please, flathead, & more...40 bits, in all. And, most important...if you can, get magnetic (less lost screws). If you go on Amazon, search "computer repair tool kit".

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Another vote for MIP wrenches. Worth every penny! I have not stripped a hex since owning them. Used to be a common occurance with the other wrenches.

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    Mip all the way. Stay away from the cheaper stuff for sure. Using a great set of tools like mip you'll never strip out a screw. Well worth the money and the last set you'll ever buy.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    If you can, get an inexpensive hex-drive screwdriver rachet handle...quality hex-drive metric need bits, but any cheap rachet handle...your fingers, hands, and wrist will thank you for it. What I use is a computer repair tool set, with hex, torx, please, flathead, & more...40 bits, in all. And, most important...if you can, get magnetic (less lost screws). If you go on Amazon, search "computer repair tool kit".

I do not recommend this. Computer repair tool kits don’t use hard enough steel on the drivers or bits and are much more likely to strip out a screw, especially one that has loctite on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    I do not recommend this. Computer repair tool kits donít use hard enough steel on the drivers or bits and are much more likely to strip out a screw, especially one that has loctite on it.
    Just like all other tools, it depends on the quality. There are $10-20 low-quality sets, made from softer metal...but there are also $40-70 higher-quality sets, made from harder metal (which can also be magnetic). Mine is in the "higher-quality" area.

~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

+1 for the MIP set. its the last hex driver you'll ever buy.
    Full set-
    https://www.amazon.com/Moores-Ideal-...s%2C141&sr=8-2
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Hex driver set recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Iansprouse1 View Post
    Full set-
    I have this set. I also got the 2.5mm in the 1/4 inch quick connect for the impact. Saves lots of time. Each wheel on the X-Maxx has 40 of them so itís well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iansprouse1 View Post
    Full set-
    I also have this set..excellent quality. Shop around, I found them for less than Amazon. I also have a set of the MIP speed tips to use in my power driver...saves on the wrist...lol
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Thanks everyone. I went ahead and ordered the MIP set. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but I want this to be my only set of tools.

RC poster
    I use MIP bits and a ratcheting handle (Harbor Freight has some good quality, cheap ratcheting screwdrivers), or an electric screwdriver.

I use a Ryobi 4v, and it does great. I think I'm going to switch to a Milwaukee, though, because it has a clutch, which will keep me from stripping out the plastic holes.