RC poster

Rustler rear suspension upgrade question

Hi All

So my Rustler's rear suspension isn't strong enough to push it all the way back up after it retracts and it sags about half way back up. I have upgraded the engine and gearbox casing so I guess its just too heavy now. I run it at the highest ground clearance level with the pre load spacer in, as its used for jumping and generally bashing around in mud/snow and I want max ground clearance.

So what are the recommendation to give the rear shocks more strength? Do I just need stronger springs? Or would the big bore shock set solve my problem?

Thanks
    Last edited by fourspoons; 02-10-2019 at 05:03 PM.

First I would remove the shocks and check that the suspension isn't binding at all as this often causes inadequate suspension rebound.

If all is OK and your pre-load spacers can't get you to where you want to then yes, you need stiffer springs.

Big Bores (which actually have the same bore as Ultras) don't come with any stiffer springs so that's not going to help. Traxxas GTR shocks would probably be a better option if your truck is heavier than stock as they're designed for heavier trucks.

I once measured the stock Rustler (white) rear spring rate as being circa. 2.9 lb/inch so you'll want something stiffer than that.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    First I would remove the shocks and check that the suspension isn't binding at all as this often causes inadequate suspension rebound.

If all is OK and your pre-load spacers can't get you to where you want to then yes, you need stiffer springs.

Big Bores (which actually have the same bore as Ultras) don't come with any stiffer springs so that's not going to help. Traxxas GTR shocks would probably be a better option if your truck is heavier than stock as they're designed for heavier trucks.

I once measured the stock Rustler (white) rear spring rate as being circa. 2.9 lb/inch so you'll want something stiffer than that.
    Great info thanks. I completely rebuilt the rear when I changed the gearbox casing so I'm sure its not binding anywhere. I'll look at the GTR shocks