RC Racer

6S slash planetary diff keeps breaking

So Iím running a slash on 6s (mod 1 pinion and spur) 2wd 2200kv motor and this is the second time my planetary diff has gone bad on me. Iím running the stock steel diff from traxxas but itís the second time everything has binded up. Is there any way I can reinforce the planetary diff better to withstand the power?

Well, first, I would not say that the differential has gone bad on you, you are running it at twice the voltage it was designed for.

At this point you should be looking at an aftermarket differential housing that is designed for 6S.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Agreed. You can't expect a part designed for lesser power to be able to stand up to the exponentially greater stresses of more power. One option may be the pro-ball differential though I don't know the max power capability.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Agreed. You can't expect a part designed for lesser power to be able to stand up to the exponentially greater stresses of more power. One option may be the pro-ball differential though I don't know the max power capability.
    Would partially locking the diffs with 100k diff oil be sufficient? The gear itself does not strip, just the gears within the planetary gear are stripping.

The diff is not sealed, so over time it will leak out, and 100k really does not do much for those little gears, you have to go up to around 500k. There are a number of aftermarket sealed diffs. You might look into a ball bearing diff and lock it all of the way down.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    FLM is days away from releasing a sealed diff and tranny that accepts 6882X diff internals. Price will be 115.00 for both and there will be a 25% deduction is youíre an owner of the current setup.

RC Racer
    That's quite steep... Might as well try locking the diffs with some 500k oil and take it easy on the throttle.

RC Racer
    Is there any way I can seal them up with some silicone or something?

No because any silicone that you put between the diff cup and output shafts will break and whatever is inside will leak out.
    The Super Derecho

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What Double G said is right. I run 6S in my Rustler with 500k oil. I have no issue destroying the planet and sun gears. I would say a product thatís an upgrade and will fix your problem for 110 is a great deal, but not everyoneís financial situation will allow it. Think of the time youíll save as well.

RC Racer
    Considering I'll probably be scrapping this build for parts after a few speed runs, I don't think it's worth it right now. For now I'll probably just stick with the stock planetary gears and save that 110 for a new rig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jainm View Post
    Considering I'll probably be scrapping this build for parts after a few speed runs, I don't think it's worth it right now. For now I'll probably just stick with the stock planetary gears and save that 110 for a new rig.
    Sounds good. The stock diff holds up to speed runs fine as long as you ease on the throttle.

RC Racer
    Thank you for your help!