Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    Got a little caught up. Got all my smc lipos expanding sleeved and heat shrunk with Castle Creations 6.5mm connectors.
    Never used the castle plugs yet. I know they can carry a lot of current. I use dean plugs on most of my rigs...but am in the process of switching them out with Genuine XT60 plugs. They are rated higher than my rigs can output so they should do fine.

Only thing I dont like about the deans plug is, they are hard to connect and disconnect by not having much at all to grip. Also, they are a serious PAIN to solder.
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 06-13-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    The castle 6.5mm connectors are such a joy. People hate on them so much. I find them to be really easy to solder and make them fit together perfectly. Do you run them on everything?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I apologize for not answering sooner. I agree with you completely. I love them. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to lightly pinch the male bullet together. So that way i get a perfect fit every time. I even put expanding sleeve on all my wires before i solder the connector on. I have a small block of wood i drilled out the size of the male and female bullets. I set them in there to solder. They are easy to solder and assemble. One thing though as im sure you know you have to have a soldering iron that gets 780 - 800 degrees atleast and quick in order to solder the CC 6.5mm connectors. Yes i do run them on everything. Its the only connector i use. Ill change out the connector on any battery or rc i buy. I even made CC 6.5mm charging cables. You have to no one makes them as of yet. I do like them. I don't get why people would hate them. If you know what your doing there great.

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using Tapatalk
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    Never used the castle plugs yet. I know they can carry a lot of current. I use dean plugs on most of my rigs...but am in the process of switching them out with Genuine XT60 plugs. They are rated higher than my rigs can output so they should do fine.

Only thing I dont like about the deans plug is, they are hard to connect and disconnect by not having much at all to grip. Also, they are a serious PAIN to solder.
    Yes they are a pain to solder. Especially the female connector. Since its on the battery its sketchy soldering the second post without touching the other post. Nice part about XT60 connectors is there popular. Your able to get RCs, esc, batteries, charging cables, etc.

Made a little progress. I got the motor mounted. So that way i can figure out wire lengths before soldering. I ended up moving the receiver box up front. I put the Hobbywing Wife link in the receiver box place. The ESC i soldered on the battery wires and motor wires. The motor wires have orange expanding sleeve over them. The battery wires are next for red and black expanding sleeve before the CC 6.5mm connector is soldered on. Im up in the air right now though. Im thinking about putting a Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 2200kv combo in it instead of the Hobbywing setup. Then id have to put the receiver box back on the bracket. Im not sure if I want this Hobbywing Xr8 Plus Esc 2250kv setup in this build or save it for a 1/8th buggy.

While the XT60s are great, I decided to go with the XT90s. I have 5mm bullet connectors on my 1/10 2WD buggy, and the same will be on my USGT car, but all 4 of my other vehicles (soon to be 5, once 1/10 2WD SCT is added) use the XT90 - lowest resistance, highest (ok, 2nd greatest, if you consider the 2nd-Gen Traxxas ID connector, although even that's debatable) Amp capacity...and, they're fairly easy to soldier. Also, you can get batteries (such as from SMC) with XT90s for the same price as those with XT60s.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    While the XT60s are great, I decided to go with the XT90s. I have 5mm bullet connectors on my 1/10 2WD buggy, and the same will be on my USGT car, but all 4 of my other vehicles (soon to be 5, once 1/10 2WD SCT is added) use the XT90 - lowest resistance, highest (ok, 2nd greatest, if you consider the 2nd-Gen Traxxas ID connector, although even that's debatable) Amp capacity...and, they're fairly easy to soldier. Also, you can get batteries (such as from SMC) with XT90s for the same price as those with XT60s.

Looking back id of gone with the XT90 connectors. There cheaper and easier to get. I thought that the CC 6.5mm connectors were one for lowest resistance and highest amps. I didn't know its actually XT90/Traxxas connectors.

I've heard good things about the CCs...but, I've also heard bad things, especially how difficult they can be to pull apart. Regarding the XT90, it's rated 90A continuous & 150A "burst"...but in actual testing, the XT90 can easily handle over 200A with 12-gauge wiring, and, with 10-gauge, can withstand 270A for 10 seconds (the wire de-soldiered at 310A).

Obviously, the XT90s, as with most other connector types, have been purposely "underrated". That being said, I seriously wonder about Traxxas' claim that their 2nd-Gen ID connectors can handle 350A "burst" (I have yet to find anyone who has actually tested their connectors up to Traxxas' claimed Amp rating).

I even made CC 6.5mm charging cables. You have to no one makes them as of yet.
    I have a set of the charging cables on 12AWG wires from eBay back in Feb 2018.
    ...I just checked and don't see them now.

I run XT60's on my Nerf flywheel blasters!

Edit:
    Found it on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/381304397928
    Last edited by Squeegie; 06-22-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Looking back id of gone with the XT90 connectors. There cheaper and easier to get. I thought that the CC 6.5mm connectors were one for lowest resistance and highest amps. I didn't know its actually XT90/Traxxas connectors.

They are. Castle also under rates their stuff and their official rating is 200 amps. You are better off making your own charge cables. I bought one from Amazon once and they actually had the wrong bullets installed in the housing, plus they were knock offs. My charger came with a few 10g banana plugs so I just made my own. Like panther said the xt 90s can take more than 90 amps, but everything I've seen is for a burst, not continuous. Likely you aren't going to be pulling 160amps continuously in a slash 4x4, but I guarantee I could in my Xmaxx. For 90% of people the XT90 is a fine choice. If you really wanna get crazy check these out.
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...s8-anti-female

Wow those connectors are extreme. I do like them. To late to change though. Those are nice. Thank you for the info.

Thank you. Good looking out. I found its cheaper and easier for me to make my own. I appreciate that.

Nick, those are fr!gg!n' massive, and SUPER-high current. But, watching the video, one thing I noticed was how much force had to be used to push the male & female plugs together, as well as how much force was needed to pull them apart. While they might allow the highest continuous current, they also require the greatest amount of strength to attach/detach. As my gym membership expired about 20 years ago, don't think I could use them.

So I got some more goodies in. I also decided to go with the Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 2200kv combo instead of the Hobbywing Xr8 Plus 2250kv system. I lucked out and find one at lprcs.com. I got it in todays. I owe a great Thanks again to lprcs.com. so now I got to take off the Hobbywing Wife Module and put the receiver box on the bracket and then finally install the CC combo and get this baby built. Im either gonna sell the Hobbywing Xr8 Plus Esc and 2250kv motor or safe it for a TLR buggy build. I don't know yet.
    The new goodies are:
    Castle Creations - Mamba Monster X 2200kv combo
    Spaz Stic - SOLID WHITE / GLOW BACKER AEROSOL PAINT
    Spaz Stic - HIGH GLOSS BLACK / BACKER PAINT AEROSOL
    Spaz Stic - SILVER METALLIC BACKER / BASECOAT AEROSOL
    Spaz Stic - CANDY ORANGE AEROSOL PAINT
    Proline - Toyota Tundra TRD Body
    Racers Edge - Shock Piston Drill Bit Set (0.9, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3mm)*
    Racers Edge - Shock Piston Drill Bit Set (1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7)
    Racers Edge - Pin Vise Set w/ 6 bits
    JCONCEPTS - Metric Washer Set (.5, 1, 2 and 3mm Thickness) 16Pc
    RPM - Pit-Pro Extreme Car Stand - Black*
    Hot Racing - Aluminum HD Bearing Motor Mount LCG
    Hot Racing - Optional Aluminum Front Castor Blocks for Slash 4x4
    Hot Racing - Power Double Up Slipper System Large
    Hot Racing - Long Hard Anodized Slipper Clutch Pads*
    HOBBYWING - 4 Capacitors Module for Xerun Series Car ESC
    Mytrickrc - Power Adapter for Traxxas
    Mytrickrc - 3-way LED Y Cable

Now time to get building and replacing.

Nick, those are fr!gg!n' massive, and SUPER-high current. But, watching the video, one thing I noticed was how much force had to be used to push the male & female plugs together, as well as how much force was needed to pull them apart. While they might allow the highest continuous current, they also require the greatest amount of strength to attach/detach. As my gym membership expired about 20 years ago, don't think I could use them.

Lol. I agree with you there man. I wonder though if there like the CC 6.5mm connectors and with the Male ends you could lightly crimp them together more.

Lol. I agree with you there man. I wonder though if there like the CC 6.5mm connectors and with the Male ends you could lightly crimp them together more.

Yeah there is just 8mm bullets inside the connectors, you could adjust them, probably a little tougher to do because they are probably pretty rigid. Unless you are running TP motor or something ridiculous they are major overkill. Just thought I'd share. You could achieve the same with just castle or another high quality 8mm bullet. I know castles are rated for 300amps continous. Some people running exotic setups just use 8mm bullets and alternate female/male ends so it's harder to plug them in wrong.

Yeah that is about the only problem with a housed bullet style connector. You do have to tune them a bit to get them to fit right. I've actually pushed a set together to test fit them and then spent the next 10 minutes trying to get them apart. I learned after that, now if its going on too hard I adjust it as I go instead of getting myself into a pickle by just cramming it on there.

Yeah that is about the only problem with a housed bullet style connector. You do have to tune them a bit to get them to fit right. I've actually pushed a set together to test fit them and then spent the next 10 minutes trying to get them apart. I learned after that, now if its going on too hard I adjust it as I go instead of getting myself into a pickle by just cramming it on there.
    I'll just stick with the XT90s, at least on my larger vehicles...for my 1/10 2WD buggy, and my USGT car, I use inboard 5mm bullets direct into the battery.

This maybe adumb question. How do I hook up the CC sensor harness? Do I have to pop the fan off to get to it? Is this where it is under this pin?

This maybe adumb question. How do I hook up the CC sensor harness? Do I have to pop the fan off to get to it? Is this where it is under this pin?

There is a little plug in there that you gotta pull out. Sometimes the send it without it in there. Here's a pic.

There is a little plug in there that you gotta pull out. Sometimes the send it without it in there. Here's a pic.

Thank you so much. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled out the clip. Thank you again. I also got the traxxas voltage sensor soldered on with expanding sleeve over the battery wires and the CC 6.5mm male connector soldered on.

Last edited by NOFTCHX; 06-30-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Thank you so much. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled out the clip. Thank you again. I also got the traxxas voltage sensor soldered on with expanding sleeve over the battery wires and the CC 6.5mm male connector soldered on.

No problem, it is kind of a pain to get that sensor harness plugged in. I did one myself today. I wanted to see if you could get the Castle BEC wired right into the connector, you can, unfortunately my ESC wires are so short I couldn't do the sleeve. I did do it on my Xmaxx. Looks nice.

Holy cow now thats a heck of a setup. Is that the Hobbywing Xr8 Plus Esc? I definitely like the setup. You gonna do all blue expanding sleeve?

It's a max 5. It's actually on it's way to Los Angeles for warranty repair.

One step closer to completion and building plans changed. Finally got to installing the Hot Racing motor mount. I personally feel its a great piece and definitely very solid. Im hoping this will help with some heat reduction from the motor. That it'll keep the chassis sturdier and help with performance cause of the bearing. I did modify the Traxxas Mamba Monster ESC hold down bracket and made to brackets to work with the Mamba Monster X ESC and receiver box like "Squeegie" made for his build. I got to assembling the parts and wasn't happy with it. Seeing in person compared to seeing a photo makes a difference. So i tore what I did apart and went with the RPM Mamba Monster X ESC cage and still using the receiver bracket i made. I like the fit and look of the Esc cage over the modified Traxxas Esc mount. The ESC is all set and ready for install with two simple screws. The only reason it's not in is im going to put expanding sleeve over the motor wires and run the sensor wire under the RPM cage. Cause of the bracket a made the two screws give me a gap when the cage is mounted second. No worries on pinching wires or potential damage.

The before and after photos of the Castle Creations 2200kv sensored motor with orange expanding sleeve. Time to join this with the ESC and chassis than on to the next mod. I have another build ready to go once this one is done. Im eager to run this beast once fully rebuilt.

Can't remember...is the Hot Racing motor mount plate the one with the larger bearings, or is it the King Headz?

Both do: 10X19X5.
    The Super Derecho

So...between the Hot Racing & King Headz motor mount plates, anyone have preferences? And reasons for said preferences?

For myself, decided to go with the King Headz motor mount (plus the STRC CF motor mount plate), as it comes with 2 bearings (the HR doesn't come with any).

Of course, if anyone really wants their vehicle to "fly", I recommend replacing all the stock bearings with ceramic bearings. When I built my TLR 22 5.0 SR, as well as my XRAY T4 (2019), that's exactly what I did.

So...between the Hot Racing & King Headz motor mount plates, anyone have preferences? And reasons for said preferences?
    I ran the hot racing one for years, but I always had problems getting the bearing out. The last time I couldn't get it out so I scrapped it and switched to the King Headz. They both seem to be pretty good units. The King Headz is 7075 aluminum, the hot racing looks to be 6061 to me. I couldn't confirm that looking around, even on the hot racing home site it doesn't say, but most of hot racing parts are made from 6061.

I considered both but went with the Hot Racing mainly due to the price and the color-match. There's a link to a YouTube video floating around here that I found that compared these two and the STRC - the latter coming in third IMHO.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    The hot racing has an o ring which helps increase bearing life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine question...how does an o-ring help?

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    Genuine question...how does an o-ring help?
    I was thinking/wondering the exact same thing...lol

The O-ring allows the bearing to "wiggle" a little to adsorb some vibration.

I don't know if this actually helps. Not sure if i want my slipper shaft to move around.

I don't run the Hot Racing motor mount. I personally run King Headz' motor mounts on both of my rigs with no problems.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6422329
    Last edited by Squeegie; 07-11-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I finally got the Castle Creations Mamba Monster X ESC mounted and installed along with a volt sensor. The Castle Creations 2200kv motor is installed with a temp sensor on it. Now I gotta clean up the wiring and install the Castle Creations Quick Connect Duo. Than on to the front and rear diffs being rebuilt, a new GPM Steering bellcrank and center drive shaft install. I also got a Pure Tech Quick mount battery straps. Than lastly the Proline Toyota TRD body being painted candy orange and black. Exciting...yes yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    The O-ring allows the bearing to "wiggle" a little to adsorb some vibration.
    I'm no engineer, but my gut, and my mind, tells me "bad...VERY bad". The last thing anyone should/would want is some "wiggle" where gear mesh is involved, as this could cause any number of problems (binding, stripping, etc). I'm with you, Squeegie...for the motor mount, I'm sticking with King Headz.

I'm no engineer, but my gut, and my mind, tells me "bad...VERY bad". The last thing anyone should/would want is some "wiggle" where gear mesh is involved, as this could cause any number of problems (binding, stripping, etc). I'm with you, Squeegie...for the motor mount, I'm sticking with King Headz.
    My o-ring disintegrated and caused the bearing to seize in there. The very reason I went with a kingheadz to replace it.

My o-ring disintegrated and caused the bearing to seize in there. The very reason I went with a kingheadz to replace it.
    Thus, the point is proven.

I really wish this information was brought to light before I bought the Hot Racing motor mount. I didn't know any of that. Live and learn i suppose.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast