Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    There is a proper static setting for a slipper clutch. There is also a technique used by racers to use the slipper to assist in traction when performing on a single uniform surface like race tracks. When bashing this technique really can't apply since it is rare to have just one surface type. Plus all the settings to assist in traction are looser than what would be considered the proper one.

When I speak of a "proper" setting I am saying what the engineer had in mind when developing not the one we have found to be the real one that works best in real life with our own trucks. The proper setting is just where you start from when you calibrate to the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    Do you know if you can actually fit the XO-1 cush drive in a slash? Ive been wondering that. Have you ever tried it?
    From what I've read, the short answer is "no"...because the Slash, Pede, & Rusty use 5mm, while the XO-1 issues 6mm. However, there IS a way it MIGHT be possible (won't know until I try...tho it could be a few months, as I'm working on other projects right now).

As I mentioned, you can replace the front & rear diffs (as well as the front/rear driveshafts) with those from the XO-1. You can also replace the slipper with the XO-1's center diff. It's this last conversion that has me thinking using the XO-1's cush drive could potentially be possible. I don't know if anyone had actually tried this.

To those reading, if you've tried, please, let us know if the attempt failed, or was successful...and, if successful, please, let us know all the part numbers, and what steps were taken.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I had already read that...but, that was also from 2012/2014, before the LCG chassis. With the LCG chassis, it could be possible. That's why I was asking if anyone has newer info. Also, since the most recent Rustler, Slash, and Stampede share a lot of parts, most of which the older HCG chassis versions don't use, it's an entirely different situation. In other words, it's worth a shot.

Will this fit and work with the traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate LCG, Team Losi Servo Horn 25T Aluminum: 22?

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using Tapatalk
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

Got another little goody. Rpm rear bumper, mudflaps, taillight buckets, the wheelie bar wheels and other parts are arriving the 16th, Along with apex LED lights and wireharness. Can't wait to see how it looks on the slash and working.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I had already read that...but, that was also from 2012/2014, before the LCG chassis. With the LCG chassis, it could be possible. That's why I was asking if anyone has newer info. Also, since the most recent Rustler, Slash, and Stampede share a lot of parts, most of which the older HCG chassis versions don't use, it's an entirely different situation. In other words, it's worth a shot.

I thought post #7 & #9 cleared things up with "No, it has 6mm bore while sl4sh, p4de or R4lly are 5mm and you can only use XO-1 spur gear which are too big that it won't fit." LCG or HCG that part hasn't changed. Unless you are asking if you have all the parts made custom then yes you can make it work but with stock made parts it is impossible.
    Last edited by zedorda; 04-10-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Does anyone know if you can run the tekin rx8 gen3 esc with the tekin 2000kv motor on 6s in a slash 4x4?

Does anyone know if you can run the tekin rx8 gen3 esc with the tekin 2000kv motor on 6s in a slash 4x4?
    I'm sure you can...but I'm thinking I wouldn't suggest, or recommend, it. Only way you'll know is to try it...but, if either ESC, or motor dies...well, you'll have your answer.

I'm sure you can...but I'm thinking I wouldn't suggest, or recommend, it. Only way you'll know is to try it...but, if either ESC, or motor dies...well, you'll have your answer.
    Since cc mamba monster x esc with 2200kv is hard to get and tekin isn't a good idea. What is your opinion on hobbywing xr8 plus esc with 2250kv motor? Would it be as good as CC? What do you and everyone else think?

Since cc mamba monster x esc with 2200kv is hard to get and tekin isn't a good idea. What is your opinion on hobbywing xr8 plus esc with 2250kv motor? Would it be as good as CC? What do you and everyone else think?
    Now...that, I like. I don't know anything about CC (other than it's been suggested to me to avoid), but, between Tekin & HW, HW is the smarter choice. I was originally starting to outfit my vehicles with Tekin, but they have, in essence, "priced themselves out of the market". HW offers equally-good ESCs & motors, at a MUCH lower cost. Better yet (from what a few locals told me), should you decide to go with a different brand motor, HW ESCs (supposedly) "play nicer" with motors from a different brand (meaning censored motors, of course)...again, I can't confirm this 1st-hand, as I never got around to actually testing a Tekin ESC with a different manufacturer's motor. However, I can confirm that HW EDSCs work perfectly well in 'full sensor' mode with Team Powers, Fantom, & R1 Wurks motors.

Now...that, I like. I don't know anything about CC (other than it's been suggested to me to avoid), but, between Tekin & HW, HW is the smarter choice. I was originally starting to outfit my vehicles with Tekin, but they have, in essence, "priced themselves out of the market". HW offers equally-good ESCs & motors, at a MUCH lower cost. Better yet (from what a few locals told me), should you decide to go with a different brand motor, HW ESCs (supposedly) "play nicer" with motors from a different brand (meaning censored motors, of course)...again, I can't confirm this 1st-hand, as I never got around to actually testing a Tekin ESC with a different manufacturer's motor. However, I can confirm that HW EDSCs work perfectly well in 'full sensor' mode with Team Powers, Fantom, & R1 Wurks motors.
    Alrighty I'm glad to hear that. Cause im about to order hobbywing xr8 plus esc with the hobbywing 2250kv motor. Im sick of waiting for CC and tekin isn't waterproof. So I guess ill spend the money on the combo i mentioned. I just haven't heard alot about hobbywing thats all.

Does anyone else have a opinion on tekin and hobbywing compared to Castle Creations?

Alrighty I'm glad to hear that. Cause im about to order hobbywing xr8 plus esc with the hobbywing 2250kv motor. Im sick of waiting for CC and tekin isn't waterproof. So I guess ill spend the money on the combo i mentioned. I just haven't heard alot about hobbywing thats all.
    Just so you know, I'm currently running two XR8 Plus, two XR10 SCT Pro, and two XR10 Pro Stock Spec (the 7th vehicle is undecided, although it will probably be either XR8 Plus or XR10 SCT Pro).

Talking

Just so you know, I'm currently running two XR8 Plus, two XR10 SCT Pro, and two XR10 Pro Stock Spec (the 7th vehicle is undecided, although it will probably be either XR8 Plus or XR10 SCT Pro).
    Oh wow. Your hobbywing 100% no joke. Im glad to know that. Cause this is gonna be my first hobbywing. Ive have two CC esc/motors and two vxl-3s/velineon 3500kv combos. I want to upgrade my sl4she lcg to the hobbywing xr8 plus esc with the 2250kv motor. Would you say its worth the 300 bucks and good for the slash 4x4 lcg?

RC Competitor
    Oh wow. Your hobbywing 100% no joke. Im glad to know that. Cause this is gonna be my first hobbywing. Ive have two CC esc/motors and two vxl-3s/velineon 3500kv combos. I want to upgrade my sl4she lcg to the hobbywing xr8 plus esc with the 2250kv motor. Would you say its worth the 300 bucks and good for the slash 4x4 lcg?
    My hobbyshop replaced Vxl-3s broken esc with Hw Ezrun Sc8 and I donít know what he done to it but this esc inflated my 2x 2s batteries . Now I cant trust my car and thinking on new combo.
    This is my problem but I want to share it with you.
    So I prefer to stay a little away from Hw escís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Berkee View Post
    My hobbyshop replaced Vxl-3s broken esc with Hw Ezrun Sc8 and I donít know what he done to it but this esc inflated my 2x 2s batteries . Now I cant trust my car and thinking on new combo.

I really wonder why that happened. All information is good information thank you. Did you possible over voltage it or what caused that would be great to know. Have you called Hobbywing? Thats scary you could possibly loose everything.

I was initially in the process of going all-Tekin. I has purchased two ESCs, three motors, plus the ESC programming module. I had even gone so far as to program one of the ESCs...and then, after talking it over with several people (some in the RCTech forums, some in the Traxxas forums, and a few at my LHS, including the owner & another employee), I began to understand why so few people are buying Tekin, and why so many buy HW - the prices are considerably lower, & the quality is equal (and possibly better), with the only "downside" being HW's slightly-less-capable phone support (although, at the same time, their web & email support is excellent, and quite fast).

My hobbyshop replaced Vxl-3s broken esc with Hw Ezrun Sc8 and I don’t know what he done to it but this esc inflated my 2x 2s batteries . Now I cant trust my car and thinking on new combo.
    So I prefer to stay a little away from Hw esc’s.
    I don't see how the ESC would be the cause, as it's only drawing power FROM the batteries. First, I would check the max voltage the ESC can handle...if the batteries provide a higher voltage, then the batteries are at fault. If the ESC has to draw more current than the battery (or batteries) can provide, this will also cause swelling...but you NEED to know this BEFORE plugging batteries in. If you took the battery below its required minimum voltage (typically 3.0 volts, this can cause the battery to swell. If the battery gets too hot, it can cause the battery to swell. If, when charging batteries, you charge them above the C rating, this can cause them to swell. If you left them plugged into the charge once fully charged, this can cause them to swell. If the batteries are cheap (ie. poorly constructed) batteries, they can swell.

In EVERY one of these possibilities, NONE of them are caused by the ESC...they are ALL due to battery-related and/or user-related "problems". Now, quickly getting back to your EZrun ESC, did the person who installed it do any ESC programming, because, if so, he might have programmed in something that could have caused this (such as a higher voltage than the batteries could provide), and, if so...again...the ESC is NOT at fault - but the person who installed it IS at fault.

RC Qualifier

Can you tell us what batteries are you using? I guess motor is stock 3500kv?

Well I got the rpm rear bumper on along with the rpm light buckets. Im still waiting to do the wiring cause i have orange expanding sleeve im going to use. The rpm mud flaps are ciut from the tree and sanded. Im waiting for the rpm wheelie bar wheels to come, hopefully tomorrow before I install the mud flaps. Lastly for now is a TLR servo horn that'll be put on tomorrow. Gotta keep this build documented, lol.

Oh i also made a custom Castle Creations/ Traxxas series connector. I have a few nimh batteries i hardly ever use so I figured use this when I want to run 16.8 volts for fun. Also the extra CC 6.5mm connectors i have i don't want to waste per say on the nimh batteries. Maybe one day ill convert the traxxas connectors over.

RC Competitor
    Iím thinking about a led project that connects to another Nimh battery, the battery will places top of the battery tray. But Idk how to figure itís just a new idea and needs calculation on it. Because bright leds can affect your lipo battery about %25 and this is not a small amount instead use nimh. Whatís your idea ?

I’m thinking about a led project that connects to another Nimh battery, the battery will places top of the battery tray. But Idk how to figure it’s just a new idea and needs calculation on it. Because bright leds can affect your lipo battery about %25 and this is not a small amount instead use nimh. What’s your idea ?

Well I would first consider how much energy would be wasted carrying around a heavy nimh battery. Not sure where you found the 25% drain from LEDs but with the huge range on power requirements for LEDs there is no way to come up with a flat rate drain. But I will say it is still best to run a BEC/separate circuit for fans, lighting, and oh yeah those pesky servos. I been wondering about wiring a couple 18650 batteries or the slightly smaller 16650 for LEDs.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Well I would first consider how much energy would be wasted carrying around a heavy nimh battery. Not sure where you found the 25% drain from LEDs but with the huge range on power requirements for LEDs there is no way to come up with a flat rate drain. But I will say it is still best to run a BEC/separate circuit for fans, lighting, and oh yeah those pesky servos. I been wondering about wiring a couple 18650 batteries or the slightly smaller 16650 for LEDs.
    Oh you are right, I canít think weight
    I will work for another solution. I really don't want to use 18650 batteries.
    Thanks.

RC poster
    I have the same esc and motor fan from HR. Unfortunately my motor fan died after about 5 minutes. I didnt feel like going the hassle of getting the same brand. So i purchased the Yeah Racing 30mmx10mm aluminum cased fan. Used the HR motor hest sink set up with a little hole drilling for the bigger diameter screw, and an impact gun to get those puppies in. That fan really blows some air and brought my motor temps down drastically. Gonna purchase one for my esc in the very near future.

Got a few new things to add to my slash 4x4 ultimate. A hobbywing xr8 plus esc with a 2250kv sensored motor, wifi link, mamba monster mounting bracket, and some expanding sleeve for the wires. Right now its in pieces. I have xo-1 diffs coming along with some other stuff arriving soon such as 3s lipos, 4s lipos , etc. I need to make two different brackets. One for the esc and one for the receiver box. Im going to mount them like Squeegie did. Can't wait to see how this all turns out.

RC Enthusiast
    That thing is gonna be a monster... I'm in the same boat you were with choosing a brushless system. I am still weighing all my options, but am curious to see what you think of the Hobbywing. Nice build man!

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted_Wages View Post
    That thing is gonna be a monster... I'm in the same boat you were with choosing a brushless system. I am still weighing all my options, but am curious to see what you think of the Hobbywing. Nice build man!

Thank you. I still need to get a few more things before im done this build. As if a build is ever done. i was originally going to get a CC mamba monster x esc and 2200kv combo. I got sick of waiting for one to buy so i researched tekin, hobbywing, smc, and dynamite. For the pricing, programming, and what you can do with it the hobbywing seemed the best. What companies have you been looking at for a setup? Ill definitely keep the build up to date and how everything turns out posted. I appreciate you liking my build. Thank you again.

RC Enthusiast
    Well this thread has definitely got me considering Hobbywing a little more, but my top choices are the same as yours were: CC and Tekin. I have only ever bashed and am building my first track worthy truck so it's a whole new world for me. I want sensored (again never had sensored before either) so I've been looking at the new Mamba X with sensored 1512 motor or the popular Tekin RX8 and 2250kv combo. I mainly want something with decent low-end and won't overheat.

I hear ya on the never ending build... there's always something that needs improvement! But I'll definitely be watching this thread closely

Well it's been a little bit since I posted about my build or have even touched the slash. Well i got a bunch of goodies that came in the mail last week. 2 3s 5400mah smc lipos, ford gt receiver box ( which didn't work out), slash 4x4 roof protector, a new voltage and Temperature sensor (that way i can leave the one on the vxl-3s esc attached), temp holder, and 100,000 weight losi differential oil all arrived last week. Since the receiver box from the traxxas Ford Gt i ordered didn't work i just ended up making my own two brackets like Squeegie did. So i can mount everything just like he has it. Thank you again man Squeegie. You have passed on great ideas and knowledge. The truck is still in pieces. I still have to solder up the motor and esc along with soldering CC 6.5mm connector to battery leads on esc, expanding sleeve all wires, put the roof guard on body, solder CC 6.5mm connectors to the lipos, finish esc and receiver brackets, wait for more parts to arrive. Heres some pictures of the parts that have arrived also the esc and receiver brackets so far.

Last edited by NOFTCHX; 05-02-2019 at 08:55 PM.

I was thinking about putting these carbon fiber slipper pads on in place of the aluminum slipper pads that are on the slipper clutch. I have a few questions if anyone knows. I couldn't find any information on Google about Hot Racing TRX15GS carbon fiber slipper clutch pads. Should you tighten the slipper clutch the same amount with the carbon fiber pads the same as the aluminum slipper pads? I have my slipper clutch 1/8th turn from tight with 3 aluminum slipper pads. So should I adjust the slipper the same amount with the carbon fiber pads? How is the wear on the carbon fiber pads? Is the carbon fiber pads better than the aluminum slipper pads? What kind of running are the carbon fiber pads for? Any thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated. Id like to use them with some knowledge.

I finally got around to finishing the receiver and esc brackets. Now time to install them and get the hobbywing xr8 plus and 2250kv installed and soldered up. Also any information on the hot racing carbon fiber pads would be excellent.

Last edited by NOFTCHX; 05-11-2019 at 07:04 PM.

I haven't gotten past installing the brackets but more goodies came. T-bone racing servo cover and A-Skid plates. Hot racing screws and 28mm wheel extensions. Smc racing 4s battery and plusivo soldering iron kit. Also new diff gears that'll go with the GPM Racing diff carriers i ordered. Theres a few other GPM RACING parts on their way in the mail. Its been awhile since this slash has been worked on. With all these new parts going to start tonight.

I ended up repainting the two brackets. Now their installed. The receiver box is mounted. Now time to figure out the motor wire lengths and esc placement. Than on to soldering and heat shrinking.

I got some more goodies. Im going to be rebuilding the front and rear differentials so there Xo-1 differentials. I got new front and rear pinion gears, new output and spider gears with the I-bar. I figured since im going to be rebuilding the differentials might aswell do it right so i got GPM Racing Differential Cups. Since I was on the Gpm website and had to wait for the delivery from Hong Kong I decided to get afew other parts to. I got the GPM front and rear arm brace, steering bellcrank, motor plate, and a center driveshaft. Im interested to see how the new differentials and driveshaft are going to hold up on 4s to 6s with the Hobbywing Xr8 plus and 2250kv motor. Heres a photo of the traxxas motor plate and the GPM motor plate. I made another bracket to hold the Hobbywing Wifi link. need to get going on installing everything and getting to run this beast. Since last installing the receiver box besides getting more parts the only thing that has gotten done is i soldered the Castle Creations 6.5mm connector on to my 4s lipo.

The SMC 4s with expanding sleeve. Traxxas connector to Castle Creations 6.5mm connector.

Can't wait to see this rig when you're finished.

RC Qualifier
    Those GPM diff housing looks good, are they compatible with stock seal gaskets?

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    Can't wait to see this rig when you're finished.
    All in time. Lol. I appreciate the support.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    Those GPM diff housing looks good, are they compatible with stock seal gaskets?

Yes they are compatible with the traxxas diff housing gaskets. Both Traxxas Revo Differential Carrier w/ x-ring gaskets (2)/ ring gear gasket/ 6x10x0.5 TW - TRA5381 & Traxxas Carrier Differential Heavy Duty - TRA3978. Either will work just like the stock gasket or you can buy gaskets from GPM or FLM.

Got a little caught up. Got all my smc lipos expanding sleeved and heat shrunk with Castle Creations 6.5mm connectors.

Last edited by cooleocool; 06-15-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: merge

Got a little caught up. Got all my smc lipos expanding sleeved and heat shrunk with Castle Creations 6.5mm connectors.

The castle 6.5mm connectors are such a joy. People hate on them so much. I find them to be really easy to solder and make them fit together perfectly. Do you run them on everything?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast