RC poster

Buying a used E-revo 1/16

Hey you guys i'm still kind of a noob to Rc I've had a rustler for over a year and have loved it, I've been wanting to fix one up and put some care and work into one to learn how they work I found this used 1/16th e-revo and the seller is selling for $100 just wanted to get your opinions if its a good sell. The front bumper is broken and it comes with no battery, is brushless.

RC Qualifier
    Yes for $100 itís worth it as long as it not rusted up. Just check all the screws and pillow balls for signs of rust.

RC Qualifier
    I'd get it ECS and motor if good are worth that 100$....

I got my brushed merv for 150. But came with a battery and TX batteries are like 20$ bumpers under 10$ parts for it are pretty cheap. It looks like after market shocks.

Make sure to drive it. Make sure motor is working and no ECS issues. If doesn't have a RX TX may be able to haggle some...

They are fun little cars. And takes a beating. I had a broken aarm on one of the 2 members cracked and still got 4 packs through it at the track before it finally gave out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    could i use my NIMH battery or Lipo battery from my rustler since it doesn't have one? and if screws are rusted could i haggle on it?

RC Qualifier
    The lipo from your rustler is probably too large. You need a 2k mah battery or smaller. As far as NIMH goes, the 1200mah batteries are what need to be used as they fit. You can possibly get some 1600mah ones but that is about as large as you can go as far as NIMH. 2k-2500k is about the max size for lipo batteries.

RC Qualifier
    In theory you could plug a battery in and zip tie it on somehow to check for working car. Either of your batteries should work. To do a quick road test.

RC Qualifier
    If screws are a little rusty not end of the world just clean them up with some wd40 and a toothbrush. Or replace. If ran on beach they rust fast. Like in 2 days.... I've had very few that have been hard remove, and have just replaced them. Doubt rusty screws worth haggling over. I wouldn't bite if selling...

RC poster
    Alright so I was able to get this little MERV for $75 the seller didn't any batteries for it to at least give it a test drive to make sure and my batteries couldn't be used the little adapter has a horizontal and then a vertical piece and the poor little guy was neglected by past 2 owners was only used in the snow and then put into storage and never cleaned up. Poor little guy is pretty rusted up so i've got a lot of cleaning and probably replacing some parts. Any tips on what i should change and what parts i should change to aluminum and which parts can stay plastic will be great!
    Last edited by Tmontiel89; 02-13-2019 at 11:07 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I think your car has Dean's connectors for battery. Can either get batteries with them or get Traxxas connectors and solder on new ends for the car side. You could also get adapters but I don't like adapters. Take car in to your local hobby shop (lhs) and they can set you up right with what you need Get at least 2 batteries biggest fastest they got. Make sure you have a lipo charger for them, and a lipo bag.

Stick with plastic parts, more forgiving and cheaper to replace.

Looks like You already have the rpm wheel knuckes. And rpm rear a arms. Only replace once broken. Go rpm if they have them. Merv parts are normally always in stock for me at my lhs.

I would take out all bearings and test. If dirty clean them out and repack with bearing grease. YouTube vids out there for that. More so on wheels and drive train parts. Can buy new but it adds up as a 1$ or 2 per bearings. Takes a few mins to clean each one.

I can't tell if your shocks are stock or aftermarket.
    Search for shock end cap mod for Merv. Get a wire shrink wrap kit from harbor freight. Or hardware store. Replace shock oils all the way around with what lhs recommend. Think I put 35wt in mine Then put shrink wrap on end of shot caps to helps keep shock ends from popping off and loosing all the oil. (Flaw on the Merv)

Replace your front and rear diff oil. Again lhs for what weight. YouTube for how to vids if needed. Always replace oil on both ends at same time... Otherwise unbalanced torque output. Unless u want different ratio between front and rear..... But then that just putting different weights in each... Make a big difference changing my oils out. Think I put 300kwt in mine.

Get a few spur gears for when you may break one. Nothing ends fun in the field when like a spur gear.

Good set of tools if u don't already. I have a tote on wheels I keep everything in so I can wheel it out to where I play and have everything I need. Mobile repairs. And doubles as a seat.

Tear down as much as you want.... But diff oil change is almost a full tear down...

Anything rusty wd40 and a toothbrush cleans it up. Wd40 will eat any grease in bearings or other parts so be mindful.

After I run in water \ snow. or if I know ahead of time I'll lighty coat rig in wd40. Must if at ocean Beach / near salt.. keeps things from rusting and repels water... Just don't go crazy on bearings areas. Otherwise you will just be repacking them again sooner.

Depending on what terrain your running on may want different tires. But the stock talons will work about anywhere.

About all I can think of for now. You should do untill you break something... Or course play with it some once u get batteries so you can get a feel for where it's at and what some TLC and oil changes will do for you and how to changes the car up.

Have fun. Wish my Merv was brushless..

RC poster
    Alright so I was able to get this little MERV for $75 the seller didn't any batteries for it to at least give it a test drive to make sure and my batteries couldn't be used the little adapter has a horizontal and then a vertical piece and the poor little guy was neglected by past 2 owners was only used in the snow and then put into storage and never cleaned up. Poor little guy is pretty rusted up so i've got a lot of cleaning and probably replacing some parts.
    It's a nice deal!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmontiel89 View Post
    Hey you guys i'm still kind of a noob to Rc I've had a rustler for over a year and have loved it, I've been wanting to fix one up and put some care and work into one to learn how they work I found this used 1/16th e-revo and the seller is selling for $100 just wanted to get your opinions if its a good sell. The front bumper is broken and it comes with no battery, is brushless.

Heck yeah. Seems like it has lots of rpm parts. It also has aliminum shocks. However it seems like lots of the screws are rusted. If you do not buy it can you send me the link? I may buy it...