RC Qualifier

New Oem velenion VXL motor for Slash Build or something else?

Been looking at Castle setups, then read about Hobbywing being better etc. I saw Castle stuff was made in China, maybe the others are too. that said I run 2s so far as Iím newer to the hobby, but 2 years in and I think if I move to 3s Iíll be good for a bit. I like my Velineon motor and esc a lot and maybe because I know no better. But for bashing and off-road/splashing in water itís great. I can get a motor and esc new for $136 on eBay, or should I look at the others like Hobbywing? This 2wd Slash will stay mostly on street. I want it quick but not drag racing, just bashing. Lol. The Traxxas motor should do that for me. For 200$ I can have the motor, esc, radio..
    any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks guys!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113632482063

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatup Aqualungs! Is this motor/esc for your green slash build in the other thread? There are so many options when it comes to motor/esc. I would encourage you to "branch" out and try something new if possible. I kind of got stuck using the same components for a while until I got brave enough to try something else out, and I'm glad I finally did when I did.

There's some fun tech to play with. It's neat to be able to hook up a wi-fi module to my HW escs and adjust the settings with an ipad. It's also cool to hook up a programmer box to the Maclan esc. Some escs are programmed with the button (and I'm fine with that as well.)

It may be cool for you to pick up an esc that has some additional functions/settings to play around with like Drag Brake, punch, etc.

What are your absolute requirements? Waterproof? 2s-3s? Cost range?
    MTFBWY

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    Whatup Aqualungs! Is this motor/esc for your green slash build in the other thread? There are so many options when it comes to motor/esc. I would encourage you to "branch" out and try something new if possible. I kind of got stuck using the same components for a while until I got brave enough to try something else out, and I'm glad I finally did when I did.

There's some fun tech to play with. It's neat to be able to hook up a wi-fi module to my HW escs and adjust the settings with an ipad. It's also cool to hook up a programmer box to the Maclan esc. Some escs are programmed with the button (and I'm fine with that as well.)

It may be cool for you to pick up an esc that has some additional functions/settings to play around with like Drag Brake, punch, etc.

What are your absolute requirements? Waterproof? 2s-3s? Cost range?
    Yes my Green Slash build. I completely agree, and was just thinking I should try something different. Well this one is 2wd, for now I wanted to keep it on the road, but may want it to be waterproof. Ive been running 2s for almost 2 years and figure I should get something that will handle 3s. I would like to stay 200 or under. Still need a transmitter. I have an ETA of May where I would like ot have her running.

I recommend the Kinexsis 4000kv brushless system. It is $75 and has a lot of power and speed. The esc will come with a fan, too. Lots of adjustments like drag brake, punch, etc. are available. The motor can get hot but never overheats or looses power over time quickly. I have this system in my stampede so 2.8 tires could be having to do with the heat. As for the transmitter, I will recommend the Spektrum DX5C. Lots of tunable options from just the transmitter. $125.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    I recommend the Kinexsis 4000kv brushless system. It is $75 and has a lot of power and speed. The esc will come with a fan, too. Lots of adjustments like drag brake, punch, etc. are available. The motor can get hot but never overheats or looses power over time quickly. I have this system in my stampede so 2.8 tires could be having to do with the heat. As for the transmitter, I will recommend the Spektrum DX5C. Lots of tunable options from just the transmitter. $125.
    Will definitely have to check them out. I like the price.

RC Qualifier
    The Slash coming along. Iím behind schedule due to some medical issues/bills, but I started moving along again.
    Started cutting taping and painting. Will be doing decals tonight. Trying to set my sights on some Motor/ESC combos now so I can save and have her running by Spring. Also trying to save for a crawler.
    Going to checkout the 75$ setup mentioned and also some HW setups. The Castle setups are nice, but I would like to stay below 200+.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    I was looking at this Kinexsis system, too. It looks like Horizon has Discontinued it, but the good news is, Horizon, A-Main and Tower all carry the Onyx system which seems to have very similar specs for $85

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    The Slash coming along. Iím behind schedule due to some medical issues/bills, but I started moving along again.
    Started cutting taping and painting. Will be doing decals tonight. Trying to set my sights on some Motor/ESC combos now so I can save and have her running by Spring. Also trying to save for a crawler.
    Going to checkout the 75$ setup mentioned and also some HW setups. The Castle setups are nice, but I would like to stay below 200+.

Well I can see you in the black paint, thatís a good thing. Like a mirror.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I was looking at this Kinexsis system, too. It looks like Horizon has Discontinued it, but the good news is, Horizon, A-Main and Tower all carry the Onyx system which seems to have very similar specs for $85
    I was looking as the Hobbywing XR10, and the Castle Sidewinders. Iím guess itís limits are 3s. Not sure if I would go 4s for a few years. Maybe this is the combo I should stay with. 2s-4s. Iíll have to google the differences or find more threads on motors.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Well I can see you in the black paint, thatís a good thing. Like a mirror.

Somehow builds are never done....
    Right, lol! I think itís going to sit on a shelf looking pretty for a while. Iím ok with that.

RC Qualifier
    Right, lol! I think itís going to sit on a shelf looking pretty for a while. Iím ok with that.

RC Qualifier
    Hobbywing max10sct is nice budget esc, i am using it in my 4x4 Slash with HW 3660 3200kv motor(on 3s)
    In my 2wd Slash i am using Castle sidewinder sct and cc 3800kv motor(2s)
    In that price range, HW is better solution.

RC Enthusiast
    I love my Hobbywing Max10 SCT 3200kv combo and would recommend it to anyone. It does great on my 4x4 slash 4x4 and I have it geared to 19/50 on 3s. Super fast and has never gotten above 160 degrees.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by smeezy View Post
    I love my Hobbywing Max10 SCT 3200kv combo and would recommend it to anyone. It does great on my 4x4 slash 4x4 and I have it geared to 19/50 on 3s. Super fast and has never gotten above 160 degrees.
    Wow, that is pretty high gearing, did you measured your speed?
    Another question, do you run off-road or on-road?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    Wow, that is pretty high gearing, did you measured your speed?
    Another question, do you run off-road or on-road?

I have not measured the speed yet (need to get a something to do this!) My guess would be its around 60-70mph top speed on the street. I run about 1/2 of the time on the street and 1/2 in my backyard (short grass). I have 2.2/3.0 trenchers and they work pretty well for both surfaces.
    Last edited by smeezy; 09-17-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smeezy View Post
    I have not measured the speed yet (need to get a something to do this!) My guess would be its around 60-70mph top speed on the street. I run about 1/2 of the time on the street and 1/2 in my backyard (short grass). I have 2.2/3.0 trenchers and they work pretty well for both surfaces.
    I would predict it is more around 50mph unless you have a brick strapped on top to stop it from taking flight or a different body. Because speedrunner can't get over 45-50mph with a Slash body without extreme modification for downforce or added weights.

The Slash coming along. I’m behind schedule due to some medical issues/bills, but I started moving along again.

I know it is more expensive but for just alittle more than Max10 SCT 3200kv combo you can get(SW4 1415): http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0164-07

With lots of room for gearing with little need to ever consider 4s.
    Last edited by zedorda; 09-18-2019 at 03:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I know it is more expensive but for just alittle more than Max10 SCT 3200kv combo you can get(SW4 1415): http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0164-07

With lots of room for gearing with little need to ever consider 4s.
    Perfect I will check it out! I did want to leave open the option for 4s.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I would predict it is more around 50mph unless you have a brick strapped on top to stop it from taking flight or a different body. Because speedrunner can't get over 45-50mph with a Slash body without extreme modification for downforce or added weights.
    It has a Flo-Tek body on it. You are right about the stock bodies not liking those high speeds. They like to take flight.