RC Enthusiast

Telemetry work on x Maxx... What is needed?

Hi to all.
    I have dubit about telemetry function for my x-maxx.
    I open a new thread because the question is completely different for my previously asked... If I made a mistake I will post in old one... Thanks!
    I have bought an old 6s version of x-maxx and it is just on arrive!
    Reading on traxxas site and telemetry info I still have several dubit about its function...
    Before all... WHAT I NEED?! I will use on my x-maxx 6s so I base my word on this model.
    I suppose the first thing I need is the "Traxxas link Wirlew module" that, if I'm right, is connected internaly to my receiver.
    So my x-maxx I read that already have some sensor out of stock like temperature. So If I only install this module and download the app what I can see?
    I suppose temperature of the motor, am I correct?
    If I want to see something else, like voltage, I need to buy the sensore wire and i need to buy also "Traxxas telemetry extender" or I do not need it if I not buy "Traxxas GPS 2.0" ?
    Ok, so, someone could explain me (before all If am I correct!) for what are used telemetry expander, other senosr, and what I need for base telemtry?

thanks
    Massi

If all you want is one voltage and one temp you can go with this. I don't see the part that Traxxas sells that goes from your battery to the RED plug on this harness, but you can buy or make your own.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6524

If you want more than the above then you have to go with this.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...xx?t=telemetry
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-17-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Reglar Guy
    thanks very much for your answer.
    In next year maybe I want the step with full telemtry but for now I will choose only the first choice (only temperature and voltage).

I'm new to traxxas and so something I haven't understanad... So... for read only temperature and voltage what I need is:

- A mobile phone with app installed (ok... it is difficult without it!)
    - Part #6511 "Traxxas link wireless module" for communicate between my tramitter and my phone, am I correct?
    - wire for voltage and temperature... and here I have several doubts.
    (It is needed something else?!? The info will be transmitted via radio between RC and Transmitter pigged bag with steering and threottle info?)

I see three different type...

Part #6524: that you link me before all and it is for X0-1. I'm wrong ore it is only a very stupid cable and nothing else?!?!?!? I NOT see any sensor but only 2 connectorand a very long cable... Today will arrive my X-maxx 6s and I will verify but I suppose that in my X maxx there are already a free connector slot for this.
    Part #6526: this is if I use the Part #6550X, the telemetry expander? otherwise I must use only #6524 both for temperature and voltage... But it is only a simple wire... the autodetect I suppose it is a resistor or something else putted inside the small black box (or it is a sensor?.... Mmmm)
    Part #6527: this is identical to @6527 but for voltage..

So all this message for understanding the coorect usage of this pieces avoid wasing money...

thanks
    Massi

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6524

This harness comes in both long and short versions. The above harness is the long version, and will fit your Xmaxx. I don't know why it's not mentioned in the above Xmaxx telemetry link I gave you, but I use this cable for both my XO-1 and Xmaxx. The harness contains a temp sensor loop that you put around your motor, a GREY connector for you to plug into your receiver, and a RED connector that needs to be connected to your ESC's RED wire.

I couldn't find the Traxxas part that plugs into the harness' RED connector and then plugs into the ESC's Traxxas' battery connector. No big deal, because you can get a connector that will fit the harness's RED connector from a hobby shop. With that connector, one end will plug into the harness's RED connector, and the other end (which is just a RED wire) you'll solder to the RED wire of your ESC.

From The Traxxas Xmaxx telemetry link https://traxxas.com/products/models/...xx?t=telemetry you will need the Blue Tooth Module. The last thing you will need is the Traxxas app. If you want to see how to use the Traxxas app, you can look at videos from either the Traxxas website or from YouTube. When I was putting in my first Traxxas telemetry setup, these videos came in very handy.

If all you want is one temp sensor and one voltage sensor, don't worry about all the other stuff on the Traxxas telemetry link. You only need the Blue Tooth Module from it. Down the road (if you want more sensors), then you can worry about what you will need. For now keep it simple.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-18-2019 at 05:35 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi
    Fantastic. You are very good to explain! Thanks a lot, now I will search some video.
    Thanks
    Massi

When you get that done (if you want) Ill show you how you can get RPMs and speed without having to get an Expander and GPS which costs about 150-ish bucks. My way costs about 25-ish bucks, but does reqiuire a little work.

RC Enthusiast
    Wow fantastic! I have all it is present in a electronic lab so I have no problem to build!
    The x Maxx yesterday was arrived! Today I will test!
    I will buy as soon as possible the Bluetooth module for transmitter!
    If you want can you explain, before rpm and speed explanation, how to build myself the cable for voltage and temperature?
    For voltage I suppose is only needed a piece of cable and some connectors... I suppose is needed only to shortcut the out pin of voltage to the in pin of voltage reader.... But for temperature I have not a sensor... If it is an NTC10k or NTC1k or pt1000 maybe I can try to find something but it could be difficults... If you have idea how to build myself that cable I will do it!
    Thbaks
    Massi

If you want can you explain, before rpm and speed explanation, how to build myself the cable for voltage and temperature?
    That Voltage/Temp cable comes ready to install. All you need is the cable that will plug into the RED connector, and connect to your ESC's RED battery wire. Like I said above, you can get that from a hobby store. This is what it looks like:

https://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/v/v.../TRA6541-2.jpg
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-19-2019 at 03:31 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Perfect!
    I can made that myself!
    For temperatures do you know whad kind of probe (e.g. NTC10K pt1000) is used? Thanks a lot

No, but it looks like it’s a thermistor. What you’d have to do is test the resistance range of it at various temperatures, then match it up with one you can buy. I wouldn’t bother. I’d just use the Traxxas harness.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thanks very mutch for info!

Now I will buy or produce the cable for voltage end temperature and i buy an interface wireless. after that I will ask you info for build telemetry without expander!
    thanks a lot
    Massi

Sounds like a plan.