Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10

    Manual Motor Gear Mesh

    Hi All,

    I'm having trouble properly meshing the gears on the X-Maxx. I'm just wondering what everyone's technique is? I put a single ply of copy paper in between the gears and put pressure against the spur then tighten the screws closest to the shaft first then the back screws. Once all done I remove the paper. But for me, it's still too tight. the gears doesn't seem to turn freely. It is also ioud when running. Am I doing it all wrong? Do I need to put a double ply? I also stripped one of the Motor mount hex screws. Are these screws not good? I stripped it on the third try trying to get it meshed properly. I didn't even use much torque. I guess they just wore out from my three attempts. I just had the X-Maxx for a week.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    TIA
    Last edited by thaddyusmaximus; 02-15-2019 at 12:38 PM.

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,043
    Copy paper may be too thick. Use regular college rule school paper. You donít want the paper to be too thick. Then push the pinion onto the spur with the piece of paper in between as you have done before. You should be able to remove the paper without it tearing. Paper should look like an accordion when done properly.

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Copy paper may be too thick. Use regular college rule school paper. You donít want the paper to be too thick. Then push the pinion onto the spur with the piece of paper in between as you have done before. You should be able to remove the paper without it tearing. Paper should look like an accordion when done properly.
    Does it matter which screws to tighten first?

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    272
    I lockdown all 4 screws while holding the motor. 2 closest to the pinion first, then verify the motor is straight, then the rear.
    Takes 2-3 tries sometimes but I want a high quality mesh.
    I use a single 3m sticky note, which is a bit thick, and I crush the gears onto it. I have yet to blow a pinion or spur.

    Quote Originally Posted by thaddyusmaximus View Post
    Does it matter which screws to tighten first?

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    I lockdown all 4 screws while holding the motor. 2 closest to the pinion first, then verify the motor is straight, then the rear.
    Takes 2-3 tries sometimes but I want a high quality mesh.
    I use a single 3m sticky note, which is a bit thick, and I crush the gears onto it. I have yet to blow a pinion or spur.
    What gears are you running??

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    What gears are you running??
    Traxxas 22t pinion and the 46t that comes with the 8s in the box.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,250
    I learned a good way to adjust my truck's gear mesh from back when I use to adjust the azimuth gears on Doppler Radar antenna arrays. It works really good on my RC stuff. What you do is: you have your truck's motor mounting screws just loose enough to where you can move your motor, but tight enough that it only takes a quarter of a turn to snug them up.

    Then with you holding your motor as it gently rests on your gears, you gently run your motor. When you minimize the gear vibration you hear and feel coming from your gear mesh by moving your motor closer and further away; you snug up your screws to keep your motor temporarily in place. Then with everything stopped, you permanently tighten your motor down for final use. The paper spacing technique works good for putting you in the ball park, but the above mentioned way puts everything right on the money.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-16-2019 at 05:21 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,251
    For me its trial and error. Quiet is better. Loud is bad. I don't use paper. I never had much luck with it. I check and adjust the gear lash by 'clicking' the spur and pinions teeth to get it into the ballpark. Then I fine tune by sound volume from there. I picked up a set of aluminum motor screw bushings from ebay. Makes adjusting the mesh in the field much easier.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,250
    What's clicking?
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  10. #10
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Everywhere man
    Posts
    1,222
    All good info, and 'ticking' I think he means feeling and hearing the tiny amount of pinion/spur free play ticking.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Andover Township, NJ
    Posts
    306
    I think you are pushing/pressing to hard. Lighten up a little you'll be fine

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,251
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    What's clicking?
    Rock your spur gear back and forth, it clicks. I can get very close to perfect mesh by feeling how far the gears teeth are apart that way.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Rock your spur gear back and forth, it clicks. I can get very close to perfect mesh by feeling how far the gears teeth are apart that way.
    That's how I do it with my other rigs that are not Traxxas xmaxx and have had good luck so far. I'm going to try it on the xmaxx 8s now with the 46t pinion. Thanks.

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,250
    There's a chance that you might be just a tad to late with your response. (lol)
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  15. #15
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    There's a chance that you might be just a tad to late with your response. (lol)
    I know right? So you do remove the pins for manual gear adjustment right? Thanks.

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,250
    Yes, for manual gear alignment you dump the pin thing and go with a motor mount.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Yes, for manual gear alignment you dump the pin thing and go with a motor mount.
    No need to go with a motor mount, I used my stock mount.

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,250
    If you go the way of a Leopard motor like I did, your going to need to dump the pin thing for a motor mount. If you're stock, and you're not having any gear mesh problems, then you have a choice of using the stock pins or going to a motor mount. (IMO) if you're not having any mesh issues using a stock motor and pins, why fix something that ain't broken. Like I said, I lost having the two options when I went for a (IMO) better motor. But still...I have to say...that I am a little prejudice, because I have never been a big mesh pin fan, especially, when the mesh pins are mounted in plastic.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-14-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    ...If you're stock, and you're not having any gear mesh problems, then you have a choice of using the stock pins or going to a motor mount.
    Or third option as described in the manual. Adjusting mesh manually with stock motor mount with no pins. You only need a new mount with an aftermarket motor, not with a stock motor. X-Maxx manual page 24.

    (IMO) if you're not having any mesh issues using a stock motor and pins, why fix something that ain't broken...that I am a little prejudice, because I have never been a big mesh pin fan, especially, when the mesh pins are mounted in plastic.
    Your own response gives a reason why not to use the pin system. I don't like using the pre-set gear mesh setups myself because I feel they are on the loose side. And having a bad gear mesh is the main reason why gears fail.

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,250
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Or third option as described in the manual. Adjusting mesh manually with stock motor mount with no pins. You only need a new mount with an aftermarket motor, not with a stock motor. X-Maxx manual page 24.
    If your new motor is bigger than the stocker, then you can't use your mentioned 3rd option. Plus, my Xmaxx is the original 6s version, so it didn't take much for me to have a motor bigger than the original stock 1600kv motor. You're right, though, if you have a stock (or stock sized) motor you can adjust your mesh the pin way, or the manual way.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Your own response gives a reason why not to use the pin system. I don't like using the pre-set gear mesh setups myself because I feel they are on the loose side. And having a bad gear mesh is the main reason why gears fail.
    Yep, I've seen that too, and agree. Plus, I like having my motor secured by a aluminum motor mount. A person doesn't have to do it that way, but I, personally, like to doing it that way. (IMO) it's the best way to go.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-15-2020 at 04:08 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    If your new motor is bigger than the stocker, then you can't use your mentioned 3rd option. Plus, my Xmaxx is the original 6s version, so it didn't take much for me to have a motor bigger than the original stock 1600kv motor. You're right, though, if you have a stock (or stock sized) motor you can adjust your mesh the pin way, or the manual way.



    Yep, I've seen that too, and agree. Plus, I like having my motor secured by a aluminum motor mount. A person doesn't have to do it that way, but I, personally, like to doing it that way. (IMO) it's the best way to go.
    I agree to both! It was your wording of getting a motor mount w/stock motor that implied you needed to get one to set gear mesh manually.

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,250
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I agree to both! It was your wording of getting a motor mount w/stock motor that implied you needed to get one to set gear mesh manually.
    It's nice when great minds come together in piece and harmony. (lol)
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •