Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    49

    Dual servos vs. single servo

    Ok everyone I have a question and havenít really found a straight forward answer. Wouldnít running dual servos be better than running a single servo even if the single had more oz-in? It seems to me that dual setup would have faster reaction time and hold up longer than going single. Iím interested to see what you all think!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,524
    With a decently solid (aluminum) linkage, the single is IMO better in every way than dual servos. Iíve installed my fair share of high-end servos in the larger Traxxas vehicles.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    844
    Like said, go with a single servo. You wonít have the issue of them fighting each other. I am running dual servos on my Summit but I donít use it very often and am not hard on it at all. And when I bought my servos it was all they had at the hobby shop that I went to years ago. So I had to buy dual servos to get enough torque as one just wasnít enough. Looking back I wish I would have been able to get just one and be done with things. It took me a good amount of time to line the 2 up as to not fight each other. Since then I have not had to adjust them, but as I said, I donít use my Summit very often and am very easy on my stuff. Just some very light running around in grass and the occasional climbing which is done in low gear and it very slow with the gearing I am using. If I had the option back when I bought the Summit to have gotten one good servo I would have done that for sure as it is much less work and less things to have to worry about breaking as well. To each theist own, but it really is the way to go using one servo that is. JMHOís.

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Like said, go with a single servo. You wonít have the issue of them fighting each other. I am running dual servos on my Summit but I donít use it very often and am not hard on it at all. And when I bought my servos it was all they had at the hobby shop that I went to years ago. So I had to buy dual servos to get enough torque as one just wasnít enough. Looking back I wish I would have been able to get just one and be done with things. It took me a good amount of time to line the 2 up as to not fight each other. Since then I have not had to adjust them, but as I said, I donít use my Summit very often and am very easy on my stuff. Just some very light running around in grass and the occasional climbing which is done in low gear and it very slow with the gearing I am using. If I had the option back when I bought the Summit to have gotten one good servo I would have done that for sure as it is much less work and less things to have to worry about breaking as well. To each theist own, but it really is the way to go using one servo that is. JMHOís.
    Using one servo makes sense that it would be easier and faster to use/maintain. Also makes sense that a lot less could go wrong and money wise it makes sense too. But have you seen a difference performance wise? I know itís harder to sync two servos but together do they perform better than just one? Iím just genuinely curious about the performance, or is it not enough to notice? Cause I know for the money you buy two servos you could get one really nice servo with more torque than the two combined.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    With a decently solid (aluminum) linkage, the single is IMO better in every way than dual servos. Iíve installed my fair share of high-end servos in the larger Traxxas vehicles.
    Iím thinking of going with a single servo with 500 oz-in of torque, is that overkill?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,524
    Quote Originally Posted by RocBoy View Post
    Iím thinking of going with a single servo with 500 oz-in of torque, is that overkill?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Having run a Hitec 7950 (486 oz-in @ 7.4V) in mine, Iím probably not the most unbiased person. The original E-Revo and Summit canít really use much more than 300 oz-in, but headroom is a good thing. Besides, at the time there was not much of a price difference between 300 and 500 oz-in servos.
    I found that when I set the endpoints too far, the 7950 would twist the chassis. It was a Binford moment.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    844
    No 500oz torque will work fine. Yes itís overkill. But if that is what you want then itís all good. As said, make sure you set your end points. This will keep the servo from damaging other parts possibly and it will also keep the servo from possibly getting damaged. In the end itís all about having fun. We all may have different opinions about things but Iím sure we can all agree itís all about having a good time!!

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    37
    https://youtu.be/tbxUZDqiWvE

    If you haven’t seen this video, check it out. I went with 2 servos myself. Yes you have to align them so they don’t fight eachother. But that really is not hard at all. I agree with 1 being simpler and better, but only if performance doesn’t suffer. I installed 2 traxxas 2255 servos and noticed a performance upgrade over the stock. The traxxas servos are pricey, and there may be better options for the price, but I didn’t want to mess with extender cables and possible fitment issues, and I’m not hurting for money. Now my only concern with my personal setup is if I’ll need an external BEC. Haven’t had any issues yet. Having seen and said all this, I am still having this battle inside my own head too. Am I waisting money here?! Lol. I most likely will do my own test like the guy in the video did. I just need some better weather to work with first. In my opinion, traxxas engineered it with 2, so unless they were just trying to get rid of millions of 2075 servos, then 2 is better than 1 according to the engineers who designed this truck. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Ed-The-Ace; 02-17-2019 at 10:40 AM.

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,385
    More than likely the reason traxxas went duel servos is they did not want to spend the money on R&D to create a stronger servo when in the end they can just charge the customer more and add another servo. The stock servos in my summit were under powered when i added the mudslinger tires. A single is much more reliable and easier to work with. The servo i put in my summit was way more torque than the dual stock servos and turn those tires with ease and was cheaper than the dual setup..
    When the e revo and summits were built their was no single servo strong enough from traxxas they did not come out with better until xmax was developed..

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Having run a Hitec 7950 (486 oz-in @ 7.4V) in mine, Iím probably not the most unbiased person. The original E-Revo and Summit canít really use much more than 300 oz-in, but headroom is a good thing. Besides, at the time there was not much of a price difference between 300 and 500 oz-in servos.
    I found that when I set the endpoints too far, the 7950 would twist the chassis. It was a Binford moment.
    And see I was looking at a Savox SA1230SG which says it will do 499.9 oz-in @ 6.0V and I know Savox are known for being power hungry. I was wanting to go this route so I didnít need an external BEC


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-The-Ace View Post
    https://youtu.be/tbxUZDqiWvE

    If you havenít seen this video, check it out. I went with 2 servos myself. Yes you have to align them so they donít fight eachother. But that really is not hard at all. I agree with 1 being simpler and better, but only if performance doesnít suffer. I installed 2 traxxas 2255 servos and noticed a performance upgrade over the stock. The traxxas servos are pricey, and there may be better options for the price, but I didnít want to mess with extender cables and possible fitment issues, and Iím not hurting for money. Now my only concern with my personal setup is if Iíll need an external BEC. Havenít had any issues yet. Having seen and said all this, I am still having this battle inside my own head too. Am I waisting money here?! Lol. I most likely will do my own test like the guy in the video did. I just need some better weather to work with first. In my opinion, traxxas engineered it with 2, so unless they were just trying to get rid of millions of 2075 servos, then 2 is better than 1 according to the engineers who designed this truck. My 2 cents.
    Yeah that is exactly my internal struggle! Because money isnít an issue for myself but I donít want to just be wasting money either. I actually watched this video as well but he isnít using a servo with as much torque as the one I want to get. When he runs a single he only has 277 oz of torque. The one I want has 500. I didnít know if someone had actually taken the time to test to see if performance wise there was a difference. His test to me was a little flawed just for the fact that his Revo 1.0 has ~300 torque with both servos. And he tests it against his 2.0 that has dual 277 oz each servo. Then he unhooks one servo to go against his old Revo. A better test for me would be to take both 277 oz servos out and to put in a 500+ servo to see if there is a performance difference. I donít know if Iím making sense at all to anyone haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    37
    You make perfect sense to me. I didnít realize the specs of the servos he was using. For what itís worth, the traxxas website itself recommends the 2255 servo as a single in place of the dual 2075ís in the Revo as an upgrade. So if the one you are eyeing is 500 torque, I think you will be fine. I believe the 2255 is 400. If I get around to it sometime, Iíll test my 2255 as a single and see what I find.
    Last edited by Ed-The-Ace; 02-17-2019 at 01:07 PM.

  13. #13
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,524
    Quote Originally Posted by RocBoy View Post
    Yeah that is exactly my internal struggle! Because money isn’t an issue for myself but I don’t want to just be wasting money either. I actually watched this video as well but he isn’t using a servo with as much torque as the one I want to get. When he runs a single he only has 277 oz of torque. The one I want has 500. I didn’t know if someone had actually taken the time to test to see if performance wise there was a difference. His test to me was a little flawed just for the fact that his Revo 1.0 has ~300 torque with both servos. And he tests it against his 2.0 that has dual 277 oz each servo. Then he unhooks one servo to go against his old Revo. A better test for me would be to take both 277 oz servos out and to put in a 500+ servo to see if there is a performance difference. I don’t know if I’m making sense at all to anyone haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are correct, both the test and the logic behind it are flawed.

    Ed's argument would hold some water IF Traxxas had a higher-torque servo in its product bin and chose to use twin servos anyway. As Crock pointed out in the conspiracy-theorist way as is his wont, they did not.

    Consider this: in the race-spec Revo Platinum, only one servo was installed. Does this mean all Revos should have one servo because "the engineers designed it that way"? I think rather that servo needs should be tailored to an individual's use.

    If you cause it to, a good 400-500 oz-in servo will whip the wheels back and forth fast enough to as to make the steering seem jittery. It'll also pull less current than even the two 277 oz-in servos shown in the video, will not need to be synchronized with another servo, and even if paired with a decent uBEC, will probably be no more expensive than the two servos. It seems an easy choice to me.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    844

    Dual servos vs. single servo

    I am running 2 similar servos as in the video as seen here in the pic.
    With 7.4v I get approx. 544oz of torque out is these. I aligned these once and have not had to mess with them since. And that was years ago. But I donít use my Summit often. No itís not an erevo, but itís the same thing as far as steering goes. I am also running proline trencher Xís and with the setup I have I have no issues at all with turning even when Iím climbing rocks and such. Like I said in an earlier post, these servos were all the hobby shop had. That and an external BEC I added, and yes I am running all of this through the stock Traxxas RX at 7.4v. Iíve not had any issues, just a broken shift servo that went out long ago. I used a servo from my mini erevo in its place, had to mod it a little to fit, but now I have no issues with this setup and never really have. The shift servos are not used very much unless I need to lock the diffs or shift gears. But that isnít too often. Some will say this wonít work due to the high voltage, but I am here to say it has worked for me. Try at your own risk though. Donít go by what I say as you may not have the same outcome as I have. As far as the servos are concerned, once aligned properly, they have stayed that way and give me plenty of turning power. Also, if I had the option when I bought these servos to buy one that had as much power as I get out of 2, I would have gone that route. I will also let it be known that on my older gen 1 erevo I ran a single servo setup with a JR 9000t servo with approx 300oz of torque if I remember correctly. This was plenty of turning power and was plenty fast enough as well. In the end itís up to you as whether to run dual servos or not. Some will say yes go dual, and some will say go single. Both ways work if done right. Sorry for the brick wall of text, but I hopefully got my points across. Enjoy and have fun with whatever you decide!!

  15. #15
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    You are correct, both the test and the logic behind it are flawed.

    Ed's argument would hold some water IF Traxxas had a higher-torque servo in its product bin and chose to use twin servos anyway. As Crock pointed out in the conspiracy-theorist way as is his wont, they did not.

    Consider this: in the race-spec Revo Platinum, only one servo was installed. Does this mean all Revos should have one servo because "the engineers designed it that way"? I think rather that servo needs should be tailored to an individual's use.

    If you cause it to, a good 400-500 oz-in servo will whip the wheels back and forth fast enough to as to make the steering seem jittery. It'll also pull less current than even the two 277 oz-in servos shown in the video, will not need to be synchronized with another servo, and even if paired with a decent uBEC, will probably be no more expensive than the two servos. It seems an easy choice to me.
    Thanks for the food for thought, I know when it comes down to it that ultimately itís whatever you prefer. I really appreciate the information and your point of view. Being able to talk this out I really think I have come to my own conclusion and I know what I will be doing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    I am running 2 similar servos as in the video as seen here in the pic.
    With 7.4v I get approx. 544oz of torque out is these. I aligned these once and have not had to mess with them since. And that was years ago. But I donít use my Summit often. No itís not an erevo, but itís the same thing as far as steering goes. I am also running proline trencher Xís and with the setup I have I have no issues at all with turning even when Iím climbing rocks and such. Like I said in an earlier post, these servos were all the hobby shop had. That and an external BEC I added, and yes I am running all of this through the stock Traxxas RX at 7.4v. Iíve not had any issues, just a broken shift servo that went out long ago. I used a servo from my mini erevo in its place, had to mod it a little to fit, but now I have no issues with this setup and never really have. The shift servos are not used very much unless I need to lock the diffs or shift gears. But that isnít too often. Some will say this wonít work due to the high voltage, but I am here to say it has worked for me. Try at your own risk though. Donít go by what I say as you may not have the same outcome as I have. As far as the servos are concerned, once aligned properly, they have stayed that way and give me plenty of turning power. Also, if I had the option when I bought these servos to buy one that had as much power as I get out of 2, I would have gone that route. I will also let it be known that on my older gen 1 erevo I ran a single servo setup with a JR 9000t servo with approx 300oz of torque if I remember correctly. This was plenty of turning power and was plenty fast enough as well. In the end itís up to you as whether to run dual servos or not. Some will say yes go dual, and some will say go single. Both ways work if done right. Sorry for the brick wall of text, but I hopefully got my points across. Enjoy and have fun with whatever you decide!!
    You definitely got your point across and I thank you for your opinions. It seems either way I go will be good, it all just depends on me and my needs. For me it will be ease and the maintenance factor. Iím good with spending as much as I need. Haha I knew this getting into this hobby!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-The-Ace View Post
    You make perfect sense to me. I didnít realize the specs of the servos he was using. For what itís worth, the traxxas website itself recommends the 2255 servo as a single in place of the dual 2075ís in the Revo as an upgrade. So if the one you are eyeing is 500 torque, I think you will be fine. I believe the 2255 is 400. If I get around to it sometime, Iíll test my 2255 as a single and see what I find.
    Yeah as I was watching that video the numbers for the servos he was testing each other against didnít really make sense to me haha. To me if he would have had one of his Revos running a single high torque comparable to the dual savox he would have had a better argument. So if Traxxas is recommending one servo to replace the duals it kind of goes along with what ksb51rl stated. I would definitely be interested in seeing what you find out with your 2255 as a single. Please keep me in the loop on that!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    I am running 2 similar servos as in the video as seen here in the pic.
    With 7.4v I get approx. 544oz of torque out is these. I aligned these once and have not had to mess with them since. And that was years ago. But I donít use my Summit often. No itís not an erevo, but itís the same thing as far as steering goes. I am also running proline trencher Xís and with the setup I have I have no issues at all with turning even when Iím climbing rocks and such. Like I said in an earlier post, these servos were all the hobby shop had. That and an external BEC I added, and yes I am running all of this through the stock Traxxas RX at 7.4v. Iíve not had any issues, just a broken shift servo that went out long ago. I used a servo from my mini erevo in its place, had to mod it a little to fit, but now I have no issues with this setup and never really have. The shift servos are not used very much unless I need to lock the diffs or shift gears. But that isnít too often. Some will say this wonít work due to the high voltage, but I am here to say it has worked for me. Try at your own risk though. Donít go by what I say as you may not have the same outcome as I have. As far as the servos are concerned, once aligned properly, they have stayed that way and give me plenty of turning power. Also, if I had the option when I bought these servos to buy one that had as much power as I get out of 2, I would have gone that route. I will also let it be known that on my older gen 1 erevo I ran a single servo setup with a JR 9000t servo with approx 300oz of torque if I remember correctly. This was plenty of turning power and was plenty fast enough as well. In the end itís up to you as whether to run dual servos or not. Some will say yes go dual, and some will say go single. Both ways work if done right. Sorry for the brick wall of text, but I hopefully got my points across. Enjoy and have fun with whatever you decide!!
    You have explained very well.

  19. #19
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    49
    Alright I had a buddy crash the crap out of my Revo today and my servos are both shot. So what better time to go to single servo. I know what servo I want but what else do I need to set up for single servo?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    609
    I honestly feel that 1 is perfectly fine, my passed 3 E Revos all ran one high end one, but I managed to get a deal on a pair of Power HD WP23KG servos from RC Mart so decided to go with two as it looks better too

  21. #21
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Texas, by God!
    Posts
    29
    My 2.0 is running a single 2255. I wouldn't recommend a 2255 on the MXL-6s, though. I did that and it cooked the BEC. The VXL-6S has a much more robust BEC, so you should be fine running it on that ESC.

  22. #22
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,325
    I'm curious, has anyone ever measured how much torque it takes to overcome the heavy duty servo saver spring? Whatever that number is, using more torque than that will be a waste, be it one super servo or 2 less super servos. Once the servo saver is overtaken, all the torque goes nowhere.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    272
    Can anyone recommend a good alu linkage as I’m about to remove the dual servos in favour of a single (2255)

    Also maybe a silly question but is there any preference to what side you run the single?

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good alu linkage as Iím about to remove the dual servos in favour of a single (2255)

    Also maybe a silly question but is there any preference to what side you run the single?
    Iím running a single monster Savox.....just mount on the Rx side (straight shot with the wiring)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Gcm1978 View Post
    I’m running a single monster Savox.....just mount on the Rx side (straight shot with the wiring)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the side I put mine on on all of my revos. Less wire strung across the chassis.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    I honestly feel that 1 is perfectly fine, my passed 3 E Revos all ran one high end one, but I managed to get a deal on a pair of Power HD WP23KG servos from RC Mart so decided to go with two as it looks better too
    Kpowell911 so well after a month how do you rate the. Power HD WP23KG’s?????

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Gcm1978 View Post
    I’m running a single monster Savox.....just mount on the Rx side (straight shot with the wiring)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool makes sense!

    Lastly when moving single servo doe it matter which port you use on the receiver?

  28. #28
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    Cool makes sense!

    Lastly when moving single servo doe it matter which port you use on the receiver?
    Either number 1 is fine.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Either number 1 is fine.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    361
    Just installed these running dual and they Seem pretty capable and strong enough to push Proline Badlands MX.38.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •