RC Competitor

Question Best Shocks for Stampede 4x4?

I've played around with shock oil weights everywhere from 30wt to 50wt....and played around with the 2 and 3-hole discs inside the shocks to change compression stiffness around. No matter what I do, I just can't get the factory shocks to work all that great. They are either too soft and they are bottoming out all the time, or too stiff....and every time I hit a big bump/jump...the truck rolls over or flips. It's impossible to find a combination that works good.

Are there any better shock options for the Stampede 4x4's? There are lots of off-brand China made shocks on Amazon that would probably work, but I'm sure they are just cheap junk.

What are some better options for these trucks? I know lots of people run the Big Bore/GTR shocks....but aside from being aluminum bodied, I don't see how they would really be much better.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Best Shocks for Stampede 4x4?

GTR’s are so much better, the size/volume is much larger. Big bores are the same as Ultras for the most part other than being aluminum

RC Competitor
    Aren't the GTR's shorter than the stock Ultra shocks? I would think that losing all of that travel with the shorter GTR shocks isn't what you want on an offroad truck....right?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by imq707s View Post
    Aren't the GTR's shorter than the stock Ultra shocks? I would think that losing all of that travel with the shorter GTR shocks isn't what you want on an offroad truck....right?
    You order long in the front and XLong in the rear. I’m using rear springs on all 4 corners. The difference is night and day.

The stock ultra shocks are just as good at shock absorbing as GTR shocks. The main reason to upgrade to GTRs is when you get bent shafts too often. The fix is getting a set of springs along with the shock oil set. Because changes in shock oil wt without spring rate changes will always equal too stiff or a mushy bouncy effect. There are some other possible reasons for new shocks but it seems the only problem you are really having is the tune. Which springs should fix np. If jumping is the plan first thing is you need stiffer springs and you have to always be able to touch the chassis to the ground before suspension bottoms out. Otherwise you will be breaking parts.
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-18-2019 at 03:14 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    The stock ultra shocks are just as good at shock absorbing as GTR shocks. The main reason to upgrade to GTRs is when you get bent shafts too often. The fix is getting a set of springs along with the shock oil set. Because changes in shock oil wt without spring rate changes will always equal too stiff or a mushy bouncy effect. There are some other possible reasons for new shocks but it seems the only problem you are really having is the tune. Which springs should fix np. If jumping is the plan first thing is you need stiffer springs and you have to always be able to touch the chassis to the ground before suspension bottoms out. Otherwise you will be breaking parts.
    Ive used Ultras, big bores, and GTR’s. All types of spring configurations. I would like to politely disagree with you, while ultras can dampen, their limited by capacity, more volume(GTR’s), more displacement. If your point were true GTR’s wouldn’t exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Ive used Ultras, big bores, and GTR’s. All types of spring configurations. I would like to politely disagree with you, while ultras can dampen, their limited by capacity, more volume(GTR’s), more displacement. If your point were true GTR’s wouldn’t exist.
    I understand what you are saying but there is a correlation between vehicle weight to shock capacity. Without more information I am work from the assumption he has the basic brushed 4x4 Stampede and at stock weight the ultra shock is fine. The GTR is an upgrade and required on heavier vehicles like the 4x4 Slash. My point is just buying new GTR shocks will not alone fix the issue. Learning to tune even the ultra shocks will fix the issue and sooner or later when he does get some GTR shocks he can make them work also. I believe the learning is more valuable to just trying to buy a way out.

Have you tried changing springs?
    The stock Traxxas progressive rate springs leave a lot to be desired. I prefer linear rate springs.
    Really depends how much you want to spend. Like Gripdog says GTR's are a big improvement over Bigbores or Ultrashocks. But you have to tune those as well. Springs, oil weight and piston.
    I run 2.8's with an 1/8th scale power train in a Slash 4x4 and use Bigbores because I have them and I'm cheap. They work fine. Biggest problem I have is when you jump hard for a while the oil heats up and you lose dampening performance. The larger oil volume of the GTR's reduces this.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I understand what you are saying but there is a correlation between vehicle weight to shock capacity. Without more information I am work from the assumption he has the basic brushed 4x4 Stampede and at stock weight the ultra shock is fine. The GTR is an upgrade and required on heavier vehicles like the 4x4 Slash. My point is just buying new GTR shocks will not alone fix the issue. Learning to tune even the ultra shocks will fix the issue and sooner or later when he does get some GTR shocks he can make them work also. I believe the learning is more valuable to just trying to buy a way out.
    I agree just spending money to do it is silly. There is an art to suspension tuning, per individual application. I could never get my big bores set up right on my P4de. Tried up to 60wt oil and stiff springs. Still crazy chassis slap. With GTR’s same weight oil and progressive Traxxas blue springs it’s awesome. I’m running Badlands, M6’s axles, 3660 can and HW SC8-WP esc. So nothing crazy weight wise.