RC Enthusiast

new to the game, ?'s for the pros

ok, please bare with me. not great at searching web, poor grammar, and spelling. rookie questions.

if you are frustrated by previous line stop reading now.

I have 3 used traxxas slashes for my children. I have learned quite a bit from reading on this forum so far, but there are some finer points im needing help with.

one of the slashes I have is a 4x4, it has some modded parts from previous owner, big bore shocks, steel drive shafts, and a HR racing steel spur gear. I think it had been abused, and since owning it I have replace the esc, and motor (as I did with all 3 used ). I have rebuilt the diffs, and I put a 12 pinion on (alum) and in a short time the HR (56 tooth 32 pitch) destroyed it. is it because I did not have a hardened pinion? I have just put it back together to get it running for my son, I put the old plastic 54 32p with a 13t pinion (alum) hoping the plastic and softer metal will play nicer together.

am I overlooking something? we have just been running our vehicles late fall/winter (Michigan) I have erred on the side of gearing low to take it easer on the motors until we are running in more "normal temps" (summer) to dial in gearing better. we are running paddle tires on his rear, an lock-up on front, just when it is fluffy snow not too deep. and lock-ups all around on driveway. his car still has stock wheel size, we are running 2cell lipo. I have read that perhaps the 4x4 could be happier with a lower kv rated motor than the stock traxxas brushless, but I will cross that road if I cant keep temps good in summer.

my older son is running a 2x4 with 2.8 trenchers, and he has just bought a pair of badlands for the rear (with money he worked for im not running a charity) he has been loosing too much traction with the diff, and we did the ole' silly putty trick, it did help some, but he is sure he wants to put a locker in, but im leery of additional problems they can bring to the table later on. he does have heavy duty drive shafts (plastic) thoughts?

we overall will be doing backyard bashing, and a week at the dunes in the summer, other than that just fun...... happy for any input, and im sure your response will generate more questions from me. if anymore info is needed let me know.

thanks a lot guys this has been fun so far explaining how the parts work with my kids, and working with them in this (pricy) hobby if I can just keep the profanity in my head as im working with these stinkin' little grub screws it will be success!

That HR hardened steel spur WILL shred the pot metal pinions. Hardened steel pinions required as you suspect. If your running standardish power levels on 2s or 3s the stock pinion and plastic spur are just fine. Make sure the motor mount bearing, where the slipper and spur assembly slide in, is ok. If it's running a plastic motor mount it WILL melt and cause spur mesh issues. Replace with aluminium motor mount from Traxxas, HR, STRC or KingHeadz
    I use silicon earplugs to lock up diffs. Gives a little bit of shock protection for the gears and locks them up well. Cheap and easy to replace when the diff starts to loosen up to much.
    Have a blast mate and don't hesitate to ask away. This is a great forum with lots of very knowledgeable people who are only to happy to help out.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trentbaby65; 02-18-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Your sons 2x with 2.8's... Check out HR or FLM sealed diffs. You can put heavy weight oil in the diff to ALMOST lock the diff. Totally locked puts huge strain on the plastic axles. If your gonna lock it you will probably have to buy the expensive MIP axles...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    awesome guys, thanks! the 4x4 does also have the alum motor mount that it bolts to. I will look into the sealed diff, what weight oil would you recommend for "almost" locking?

before I had discovered that I should not use fluid in my slash (2x4).....er I mean my daughters, I put in 60k oil in it, it has been hooking up good, and has not seemed to leak out as of yet, but we have also just been In cold weather so far so I know that is helping, and it is also on stock tires. I put knock off brand badlands on that one, and those tires work great! toying with the idea of doing 1/8 scale buggy wheels on it.

what is popular thought on a good kv rating for the 4x4, I have seen some cheaper brand motors might that be a good move? and if so will it work fine with the traxxas esc? or perhaps the lower kv motor mods I have read about are more for guys that are pushing bigger batt. and bigger tires. I would rather have a motor that works easier that I don't have to worry about. my boys (10-8) are good at checking temps, but once fun starts who keeps thinking about caution?

with my sons 2.8's on the 2x4 I have noticed a fair amount of wheel drift or wobble, we have been changing bearings as they blow, and I have rebuilt the servo with the metal gear upgrade. I think the total slop is just a bunch of littler wear areas adding up and I will upgrade those parts as they fail. is there something else that might be something to look closer at?

thanks again, happy bashing!

RC Enthusiast
    ps, I discovered in my sons 4x4 it has the diffs in front and back that have the additional 'I" beam support in it, from what I read I think it is the XO up grade, if that affects any decisions.......

Quote Originally Posted by rookie-slashdad View Post
    ps, I discovered in my sons 4x4 it has the diffs in front and back that have the additional 'I" beam support in it, from what I read I think it is the XO up grade, if that affects any decisions.......
    With XO-1 diffs already installed just put some 200k diff fluid in and see how you/he likes it you can always get thicker. The metal diff cases are optional if you are not yet having diff problems. It is only for extreme power levels you need the metal diff cases. Like if you get into 1/8 scale power.

RC poster
    Does anyone here now what kind of gears are good for a rustler vxl I'm new and would like to learn

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams rustlervxl View Post
    Does anyone here now what kind of gears are good for a rustler vxl I'm new and would like to learn
    Start your own post in the correct sub forum. Then tell us what your intentions with your vehicle are and you’ll get lots of good help.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Start your own post in the correct sub forum. Then tell us what your intentions with your vehicle are and you’ll get lots of good help.
    Well my intentions are to just run on a dirt track in the summer in my backyard I live in Michigan btw and try to find someone to race for cash. I have mostly stock but I'm running a 3 cell 4000 MAH Lipo. I will race in the a track of just cement .
    Last edited by Jams rustlervxl; 02-19-2019 at 09:35 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    another question along these lines, has anyone modded a stock 2wd diff to hold oil? if so with success? it does not look that hard, and would be cheaper than buying a $30 sealed diff.

also is 500k the thickest diff oil that is easily available? I went to a local hobby shop and they had a wall of cst rated oil, and they tried t explain it to me in a way I would understand....and well they could not use simple enough words. im guessing higher is thicker. going for a near lock up boys, let me hear it!

Yeah, higher is thicker. Heres 1,000,000w diff oil:
    Diff Oil <---Don't know how well that stuff works, though.
    I think there is higher fluid out there somewhere. Iv'e heard that silly putty works well to almost completely lock diffs.
    I like free stuff!

another question along these lines, has anyone modded a stock 2wd diff to hold oil? if so with success? it does not look that hard, and would be cheaper than buying a $30 sealed diff.

also is 500k the thickest diff oil that is easily available? I went to a local hobby shop and they had a wall of cst rated oil, and they tried t explain it to me in a way I would understand....and well they could not use simple enough words. im guessing higher is thicker. going for a near lock up boys, let me hear it!
    Many people have tried none have made it work for long, sealing the stock diff that is. But you can lock up the diff in the stock case. Just fill it with JB weld or any 2 part epoxy.

RC Enthusiast
    ya, I had toyed with that idea, or a spool. but I think completely locking it up will cause more future problems than I want

ya, I had toyed with that idea, or a spool. but I think completely locking it up will cause more future problems than I want
    I am happy you came to that on your own bc it is totally true. I have debated on buying a sealed diff afew times but instead just used some stiff grease. It didn't lock it up but I can at least feel some resistance now.

RC poster
    You can also shove a foam ear plug or two in it. They get ground up and make it very tight but allow some diff action. We do this at the races sometimes. I have never done it in a Slash to be clear but have in multiple other manufacturers gear differentials.

I have used 1 million fluid, it will leak evenutally but extremely slow and almost not enough to worry about.
    Last edited by RCMaverick; 02-24-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCMaverick View Post
    You can also shove a foam ear plug or two in it. They get ground up and make it very tight but allow some diff action. We do this at the races sometimes. I have never done it in a Slash to be clear but have in multiple other manufacturers gear differentials.

I have used 1 million fluid, it will leak evenutally but extremely slow and almost not enough to worry about.
    As much as I love the awesome life hack ear plug solution. I think the 1mil diff fluid is the best choice if it doesn't leak all that fast. I am already planning to give it a try with alittle gasket sealer.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    As much as I love the awesome life hack ear plug solution. I think the 1mil diff fluid is the best choice if it doesn't leak all that fast. I am already planning to give it a try with alittle gasket sealer.
    I agree, just putting all the options out there for those who may have never tried said hack.

RC Enthusiast
    ok, boys I have been letting my son read the replies, and research the reviews on getting a sealed diff. I think he will be making the purchase soon along with some 1mill oil.

I guess I will have to find him some more jobs to do to earn some coin!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    If that 1 mil wit fluid leaks out and gets in the transmission gears, it will cause ton of resistence, in turn causing a hot or burnt up motor.

That is why I quit using the stock diff mod. It kept leaking and could not keep motor temps down until I cleaned the goo out. I also seen a drop in lap times and motor heat go up as it slowly leaked out. Don't do it. Get a sealed diff and for it right
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...