Thread: Actual Runtime?

RC poster

Actual Runtime?

So I have 4 new Lectron Pro 2s lipo 5200mah batteries. I bought 2 batteries when I bought the truck then two more batteries about a week later from a different hobby shop. I also had my hobby shop add the traxxas plugs to two of the batteries to rule out a connectivity problem. I am getting anywhere from 8-12 min of run time on my slash 4x4. The truck is less than a month old and I have already sent it back to traxxas and they say it is operating correctly. I have a friend who just bought the same truck and with his first run out of the box we put one of my batteries in it and it only ran for 14 min. I'm OK with the run times if its normal but everyone else I talk to tells me they get anywhere from 20-30 min for a battery that size. If I will continue to get those run times I will just buy more batteries but want to be sure first. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sounds to me like it's the batteries. Try running on Traxxas, Gens Ace, or SMC batteries of the same (or similar) capacity, and see what runtimes you get. I know that my Rustler 4x4 (which is, essentially, a shorter Slash 4x4), on Traxxas 5800mAh LiPo, gets at least 30min (I haven't actually timed it, but I just might do that today, as I'm about to head to the track). I'll update once I run that battery.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    My 5200 2s batteries give me around 20-25 minutes. Pretty sure they're eezee branded ones? Pulled them from Amazon.

But I'm not going balls out all the time with it. Just casual bashing around the yard and woods.

Sent from my ONEPLUS Bad **** Phone using Tapatalk

What charger are you using? Can you verify they are actually fully charged when you start/ 4.2v/cell?
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    I am using a Lectron Pro charger set at 2s 5200mah and charging at 5.2v. It takes about 50min to charge and seems full based on where the lipo cut off is and the amout of charge that is put in.

Unffortunately, I won't be able to run that test today, as something work-related came up. Will update when I can. Don't know who the "what charger" question was directed at, as it was done as a 'reply", instead of a 'reply with quote'. As for me, I have two chargers...Traxxas Dual Live, & Hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition. For both chargers, using the associated app on my phone, yes, I can see the charged capacity, voltage/cell, plus additional info. However, when it comes to charging non-Traxxas batteries in the Traxxas charger, that additional info is very minimal. It's probably best to charge Traxxas batteries ONLY on the Traxxas charger...EXCEPT under one particular condition.

If you discharge a Traxxas battery past the minimal voltage limit, Traxxas chargers will refuse to charge it. They will indicate the battery as "dead" battery, not capable of ever being charged again. This is a lie. They CAN be charged again, just not with a Traxxas charger. For this, you'll need a non-Traxxas charger, plus an adapter consisting of a male Traxxas connector on one end, and whatever female connectors would be used for charging non-Traxxas batteries in your non-Traxxas charger. If you're charger uses bullet connectors, like my Hitec X2, then the adapter would have the male Traxxas connector on one end, and male bullet connectors on the other end. Once your Traxxas battery has been brought "back to life"xx you can return to charging it using the Traxxas charger.

Quote Originally Posted by MantisTaboggin View Post
    I am using a Lectron Pro charger set at 2s 5200mah and charging at 5.2v. It takes about 50min to charge and seems full based on where the lipo cut off is and the amout of charge that is put in.
    Sounds like there's a possible problem work your charger, as well. Try charging a different brand of battery on that charger, plus charge your current battery on a different charger. Then, take those two batteries, run them until you receive the "low-voltage" warning, and compare the results.

If the current battery still gives you only 15min, then you know the problem is the battery. If the current battery gives you 30-45min, and the other battery runs a lot less, them the problem is the charger. Unfortunately, if both batteries last only 15min, then the problem is your battery AND your charger.

RC poster
    I run a 2s traxxis battery in my 4x4 slash and I can get 30 plus minutes out of a single charge. I tend to run more conservative than most.

RC poster
    So my father-in-law and brother-in-law picked up the same slash as mine as well as the same batteries. My father-in-law got a different charger and he seemed to get more run time than us and it seems like we are driving very similar. Bro and I went into lipo protection mode after about 15min and the old man was still going strong. He stopped when we did so we don't know how much longer he could have run. Thoughts?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MantisTaboggin View Post
    So I have 4 new Lectron Pro 2s lipo 5200mah batteries. I bought 2 batteries when I bought the truck then two more batteries about a week later from a different hobby shop. I also had my hobby shop add the traxxas plugs to two of the batteries to rule out a connectivity problem. I am getting anywhere from 8-12 min of run time on my slash 4x4. This truck is less than a month old and I have already sent it back to traxxas and they say it is operating correctly. I have a friend who just bought the same truck and with his first run out of the box we put one of my batteries in it and it only ran for 14 min. I'm OK with the run times if its normal but everyone else I talk to tells me they get anywhere from 20-30 min for a battery that size. If I will continue to get those run times I will just buy more batteries but want to be sure first. Thank you in advance for your help.

I get around 25 minutes and it's normal.
    Last edited by sunloke; 02-23-2019 at 05:45 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sunloke View Post
    I get around 25 minutes and it's normal.
    Really? And how are you driving? We had an oval set up and were full throttle most of the time.

RC poster
    Well I don't know how you guys are getting these run times because today all three of us could only get 10-12 min of run time. All of us are running lectron pro 2s 5200mah lipos.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Unffortunately, I won't be able to run that test today, as something work-related came up. Will update when I can. Don't know who the "what charger" question was directed at, as it was done as a 'reply", instead of a 'reply with quote'.

If you discharge a Traxxas battery past the minimal voltage limit, Traxxas chargers will refuse to charge it. They will indicate the battery as "dead" battery, not capable of ever being charged again. This is a lie. They CAN be charged again, just not with a Traxxas charger. For this, you'll need a non-Traxxas charger, plus an adapter consisting of a male Traxxas connector on one end, and whatever female connectors would be used for charging non-Traxxas batteries in your non-Traxxas charger. If you're charger uses bullet connectors, like my Hitec X2, then the adapter would have the male Traxxas connector on one end, and male bullet connectors on the other end. Once your Traxxas battery has been brought "back to life"xx you can return to charging it using the Traxxas charger.

This is not advisable to try for people who don't have a working knowledge of all the hazards involved. It can be done, be advised though, there is a real possibility of burning your house down. Lipos can be "brought back to life" but it comes with some serious risk. Please research before attempting to do this!
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    This is not advisable to try for people who don't have a working knowledge of all the hazards involved. It can be done, be advised though, there is a real possibility of burning your house down. Lipos can be "brought back to life" but it comes with some serious risk. Please research before attempting to do this!
    Quite a few people have done this, and without any problem. As long as the battery still has a reasonable charge (at least 2-3V), there shouldn't be any real "danger". Now, if the battery is below that, or completely dead, then, NO, do NOT attempt.