RC poster

Help deciding which slash to purchase

Good morning all

I have a 3350R upgrade kit. I originally bought it for my rustler but I am contemplating purchasing s new 4x4 slash and upgrading it plus s fan of course to be a 4 wd almost vxl rig. Does anyone have suggestions about what to purchase and if this maes sense? I want the speed and I am dying to try flips and jumps. Suggestions ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrPhil View Post
    Good morning all

I have a 3350R upgrade kit. I originally bought it for my rustler but I am contemplating purchasing s new 4x4 slash and upgrading it plus s fan of course to be a 4 wd almost vxl rig. Does anyone have suggestions about what to purchase and if this maes sense? I want the speed and I am dying to try flips and jumps. Suggestions ?
    The slash 4x4 definitely will not be great for flips. The rustler 4x4 and slash 4x4 are nearly identical. However, because of some differences like the body and larger tires the rustler will be much better at flipping.

RC poster
    Is a 2wd better for flips?

No because the Slash body parachutes too much. it catches the air and slows it down alot in the air. It can still jump but you are lucky to get 1 flip unless your ramp is made to cause flips. Also the smaller/lighter wheels don't help. When in the air you are using the mass of the wheels to push the chassis around so bigger/heavier wheels stock on like the rustler or revo make it easier for them to do flips.

RC Racer
    I agree stick with rustler 4x4 for stunts like flipping .

Also unless looking at the latest 4x4 slash ultimate the 77-4, the rustler 4x4 has more robust (heavy duty) parts like a-arms, axle shaft, etc, etc. only the latest ultimate slash has the same heavy duty parts as the rustler 4x4.

I love the slash for racing around the track, but I truly prefer one of my rustler 4x4 vxl truck’s or a e-revo for playing around doing stunts. Rustler has proven a lot tougher then any of my e-revo’s so now I mostly use a Rustler 4x4 for that sort of thing.
    RC's4-UDR/6-XMax/?-Slash/1-Rust4X/4-E-rev/4-E-maxx

The brushed rustler 4x4 also doesn't have the "cold weather" parts as in the upgraded drive shafts or the A-arms.

RC Racer
    Actually talking the brushed Rustler 4x4 version does have the same a-arms, drive shafts and carriers as the vxl Rustler 4x4 version.
    The camber links are about the only differences I see.
    The vxl camber links are metal/adjustable where the brushed camber links are plastic non-adjustable.
    Last edited by cc1999; 02-24-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cc1999 View Post
    Actually talking the brushed Rustler 4x4 version does have the same a-arms, drive shafts and carriers as the vxl Rustler 4x4 version.
    The camber links are about the only differences I see.
    The vxl camber links are metal/adjustable where the brushed camber links are plastic non-adjustable.
    You checked part numbers from the exploded view? Because the one I saw hands on didn't have them. I don't doubt there maybe 2 Brushed models so please link if you can. I really want to know.

RC Racer
    No on the parts breakdown. I was looking at the real trucks side by side comparing them.

I do know there are some current issues with the traxxas parts breakdowns, the local hobby shop has tried to hand me the wrong parts for them, citing it was the one in the breakdown.

I have several Rustler 4x4s including one brushed version, I double checked the actual trucks that I have in the garage they both have the same new HD a-arms all the drive axles also appear identical, (the new thicker ones). I only see one model listed in the traxxas showroom for brushed.

I bought 3 brushed versions last December for Christmas gifts.
    All 3 had the new HD a-arms and drive axles.
    Last edited by cc1999; 02-25-2019 at 04:45 AM.

Kewl thanks

RC poster
    So it sounds like what should look at is a rustler 4x4 which still leaves me with the 3350R upgrade kit. Should I put it in my current rustler and call it a day? Or is it more prudent to find a 4x4 slash roller and build an inexpensive slash?

RC Racer
    As with most Traxxas trucks, you can buy the complete car for what most of the rollers go for by the time you buy all the parts needed to get it back in working order. I have seen many 4x4 rollers go for well over 200.00 on Ebay.

You can get a complete VXL 4x4 slash or Rustler for around 380.00 .
    You would be hard pressed to buy a, servo, a vxl motor, receiver, remote, speed control, tires/wheels, and body for $180 bucks.

How long ago did you buy the 3350R kit. Maybe the best solution would be to exchange it for a complete car of your choosing.

On Facebook marketplace I have found several RC vehicles at more than reasonable prices. Last one was a Stampede 4x4 brushed complete and with only light wear for $180 was listed for $200. Best part is I have been able to test drive if possible or see and touch them before buying. You have to smart about it. There is also the fact that nearly all LHS have a cork board for people to post RCs for sale by owner.

Quote Originally Posted by cc1999 View Post
    As with most Traxxas trucks, you can buy the complete car for what most of the rollers go for by the time you buy all the parts needed to get it back in working order. I have seen many 4x4 rollers go for well over 200.00 on Ebay.

You can get a complete VXL 4x4 slash or Rustler for around 380.00 .
    You would be hard pressed to buy a, servo, a vxl motor, receiver, remote, speed control, tires/wheels, and body for $180 bucks.

How long ago did you buy the 3350R kit. Maybe the best solution would be to exchange it for a complete car of your choosing.
    Agreed. That is why chop shops exist - to make money on the parts they sell. The parts are greater than the whole. Their profits must be small after Paypal fees, shipping materials, shipping, personal labor and so forth. To make money they must have high volume. They could buy a Rustler 4x4 VXL for $380, break it down and maybe get ~$500?? total back?

The way to justify the roller cost is if you already have the remainder of parts necessary (may not necessarily be Traxxas) to get it running, however, you will not be able to buy a parted-out vehicle and come out ahead.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by LawrPhil View Post
    So it sounds like what should look at is a rustler 4x4 which still leaves me with the 3350R upgrade kit.
    The 3350R would no longer be considered an "upgrade." either, it was replaced
    some time ago with the 3351R
    Last edited by Rich2; 02-25-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    The 3350R would no longer be considered an "upgrade." either, it was replaced
    some time ago with the 3351R
    It is still an upgrade over any brushed Traxxas.

RC poster
    thank you gentlemen. I think I have decided after almost six months of fretting about it, to purchase the Slash 4x4 ultimate. I generally dislike the aluminum parts but I really like that telemetry etc of the ultimate. I understand I am giving up big air, but I mostly run on the street so I think this makes sense.

But I do really like the air factor. I think my wife senses another purchase coming someday.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-15-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Do you get the Ultimate edition? I will probably never have a Slash 4x4 that is not an Ultimate edition. The aluminum parts are located where you need the extra strength and durability.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!