Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37

    New member, new build!

    Hi there everyone,

    I recently, this past year, got back into rc after a ten year break. I was playing with nitro monster trucks and got into flying pretty heavy back then. I gave up all my stuff and moved on to other things.

    This year though I decided to get my nine year old daughter and myself into rc. So I went and got us a couple of TRX4's, which turned into five of them in no time???? Dang things are like rabbits, hahaha.

    I really enjoy building these things and driving too!! Well I found myself building the crawlers too fast for their own good, but so fun!! So I decided to trade one of them for a used Slash 4x4 VXL and got my daughter a brushed version for Christmas!!

    First drive and I was hooked, this thing was pretty dang fast. I instantly went into some sort of crazed basher mode. only took a few minutes to blow out both front spring retainers on the nice GTR shocks that came with my used rig. So I put the included stock shocks on and continued to bash away like some sort of possessed mad man intent on killing this poor truck. Much to my surprise the truck survived!!! Traxxas, you guy's rock!!

    My daughters level of interest is not as high as I would like so I decided I needed to make her truck faster. To do that I figured the best way would be to buy a new power system for my truck. Makes perfect sense right???? So I started researching and ended up with a CC 1415 2400 to go with a Mamba X I had laying around. Good combo right??

    First thing, the VXL system had the desired effect, my daughter loves it!! Still not quite as interested as I would like but thats because I havent been able to take her out to drive together, because..............

    You guessed it...........I broke my truck! First thing to go was the clutch, it was a brand new unit I had ordered to go with my new motor. Threw a pad right out of it after about 5 minutes of WOW this thing is fast. So I go back to the bench and put the old clutch back in and crank her down pretty tight. Next run lasted a little longer.......... Until the rear axle blew apart!!!!

    Back to the bench.............Research...............More research.................Order parts.............Repeat..................Rabbit hole............................Cheshire cat...............Mushrooms.............Research.. .........Order parts...............Repeat..........


    What have I Done?????????????

  2. #2
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37
    What did I do?????? Well I am in deep now, no turning back hahahahahha.

    My build list so far, all parts are either on the truck, the bench, in the box or in the mail.

    MIP X-DUTY shafts F/R
    XO-1 Diffs f/R
    Associated 100k & 30k diff fluid
    Robinson Racing Gen3 clutch & extra hard 16t pinion
    King Headz motor mount
    Traxxas aluminum steering blocks, c-hubs and axle carriers
    Tekno Big Bone driveshaft
    Hot Racing steering bellcrank
    Hot Racing 17mm hex hub adapters 6mm offset
    Pro-Line Trencher X SC Tires pre-mounted on Raid 17 mm hex SC wheels
    GTR springs by VG
    Traxxas 5461 Variable Damping Kit GTR Shocks
    Losi 45wt shock oil
    Savox SW-1210SG waterproof servo
    HRASLF25SH06 & TLR1557 servo horns
    Castle Creations Mamba Monster X & 1415 2400kv
    STRC motor and electronic plates
    Traxxas 3628 Waterproof Receiver Box


    I think that pretty much covers it for the moment. I am excited to get this thing built! The thing is now I don't want to put all this stuff on this old chassis. So my plan is to hold out a wee bit longer and get a new roller to build and use all the stock stiff to upgrade my daughters brushed Slash 4x4 and have enough left over to build a buddy truck that would be pretty much new. I am trying really hard to get one of my friends to get into this so I can have someone to SMOKE, or uh, I mean race HAHAHAHA

    Anyway thank you all for the great info on this forum. Some of you are pretty much directly responsible for my now empty bank account. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHA

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37
    Please feel free to drop suggestions, comments or questions here. I am going to have plenty of questions myself here soon I am sure. Here is one to start with.

    Does anyone know what the largest RR X-hard pinion that will fit the Gen3 54t spur?

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    580

    New member, new build!

    Quote Originally Posted by JDXX View Post
    Please feel free to drop suggestions, comments or questions here. I am going to have plenty of questions myself here soon I am sure. Here is one to start with.

    Does anyone know what the largest RR X-hard pinion that will fit the Gen3 54t spur?
    I can just barely fit my 22t pinion in there.

    Our set up is nearly identical! I have every last part you listed on my truck, except I have a 2200kv motor and 2.8” trenchers.
    Last edited by ati; 02-25-2019 at 02:31 PM.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    8,476
    Hello and welcome to the Traxxxas forums!

    Your build list looks like you did do a lot of research here. You're addicted... just like the rest of us!

    Someone would probably help you with pinion gearing on 54T spurs. I don't use a 54T spur.

    Have fun and hope you keep your daughter's interest up!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier Sp2deSummit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Yakima Washington
    Posts
    433
    Wow! Loads of parts heading your way, apparently. Sounds like you are going to have a nice Sl4sh!
    I like free stuff!

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,578
    Quote Originally Posted by JDXX View Post
    What did I do?????? Well I am in deep now, no turning back hahahahahha.

    My build list so far, all parts are either on the truck, the bench, in the box or in the mail.

    MIP X-DUTY shafts F/R
    XO-1 Diffs f/R
    Associated 100k & 30k diff fluid
    Robinson Racing Gen3 clutch & extra hard 16t pinion
    King Headz motor mount
    Traxxas aluminum steering blocks, c-hubs and axle carriers
    Tekno Big Bone driveshaft
    Hot Racing steering bellcrank
    Hot Racing 17mm hex hub adapters 6mm offset
    Pro-Line Trencher X SC Tires pre-mounted on Raid 17 mm hex SC wheels
    GTR springs by VG
    Traxxas 5461 Variable Damping Kit GTR Shocks
    Losi 45wt shock oil
    Savox SW-1210SG waterproof servo
    HRASLF25SH06 & TLR1557 servo horns
    Castle Creations Mamba Monster X & 1415 2400kv
    STRC motor and electronic plates
    Traxxas 3628 Waterproof Receiver Box


    I think that pretty much covers it for the moment. I am excited to get this thing built! The thing is now I don't want to put all this stuff on this old chassis. So my plan is to hold out a wee bit longer and get a new roller to build and use all the stock stiff to upgrade my daughters brushed Slash 4x4 and have enough left over to build a buddy truck that would be pretty much new. I am trying really hard to get one of my friends to get into this so I can have someone to SMOKE, or uh, I mean race HAHAHAHA

    Anyway thank you all for the great info on this forum. Some of you are pretty much directly responsible for my now empty bank account. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHA

    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

    That sounds very similar to the way I build my trucks. You are going to love it when you are finished with it. Do you have any pictures to post?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  8. #8
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by JDXX View Post
    What did I do?????? Well I am in deep now, no turning back hahahahahha.

    My build list so far, all parts are either on the truck, the bench, in the box or in the mail.

    MIP X-DUTY shafts F/R
    XO-1 Diffs f/R
    Associated 100k & 30k diff fluid
    Robinson Racing Gen3 clutch & extra hard 16t pinion
    King Headz motor mount
    Traxxas aluminum steering blocks, c-hubs and axle carriers
    Tekno Big Bone driveshaft
    Hot Racing steering bellcrank
    Hot Racing 17mm hex hub adapters 6mm offset
    Pro-Line Trencher X SC Tires pre-mounted on Raid 17 mm hex SC wheels
    GTR springs by VG
    Traxxas 5461 Variable Damping Kit GTR Shocks
    Losi 45wt shock oil
    Savox SW-1210SG waterproof servo
    HRASLF25SH06 & TLR1557 servo horns
    Castle Creations Mamba Monster X & 1415 2400kv
    STRC motor and electronic plates
    Traxxas 3628 Waterproof Receiver Box


    I think that pretty much covers it for the moment. I am excited to get this thing built! The thing is now I don't want to put all this stuff on this old chassis. So my plan is to hold out a wee bit longer and get a new roller to build and use all the stock stiff to upgrade my daughters brushed Slash 4x4 and have enough left over to build a buddy truck that would be pretty much new. I am trying really hard to get one of my friends to get into this so I can have someone to SMOKE, or uh, I mean race HAHAHAHA

    Anyway thank you all for the great info on this forum. Some of you are pretty much directly responsible for my now empty bank account. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHA
    Yeah you have a great build there. It is only a few parts different than my Traxxas MAXX Project. Hope to see some pics & vids soon.

  9. #9
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Traxxxas forums!

    Your build list looks like you did do a lot of research here. You're addicted... just like the rest of us!

    Someone would probably help you with pinion gearing on 54T spurs. I don't use a 54T spur.

    Have fun and hope you keep your daughter's interest up!
    Thank you, read till they bleed thats what they say. I am very addicted and hoping to keep my daughters interest by keeping it exciting, she gets a little bored with the crawlers but the Slash is another story!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    Wow! Loads of parts heading your way, apparently. Sounds like you are going to have a nice Sl4sh!
    Yeah I kinda overdid it (as usual) but I want the durability AND the power!

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

    That sounds very similar to the way I build my trucks. You are going to love it when you are finished with it. Do you have any pictures to post?
    Thanks man, and yeah I am in love! Similar? Yes, yes it is isn't it? No pictures yet, just a big pile of parts and a broken Slash. I gotta find a body for it too. I just don't want to paint one right now and the stocker I want seems to be rarer than hens teeth. Haha

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Yeah you have a great build there. It is only a few parts different than my Traxxas MAXX Project. Hope to see some pics & vids soon.
    I can just barely fit my 22t pinion in there.

    Our set up is nearly identical! I have every last part you listed on my truck, except I have a 2200kv motor and 2.8” trenchers.
    Thank you, I like to think I put the effort in. My reasoning behind researching on forums is averages and attitudes. Seem to lead me in the right direction every time. Good to know the 22t pinion will work I am planning on getting a 21t after initial testing, see how it goes I guess.

    THANXX EVERYONE!!!!

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37
    I am getting pretty excited!!!! I found the body I wanted on eBay, it cost a bit much but I got the one I wanted!! Getting closer every day, I am hoping to have this truck running within a week at the most two. Hopefully by then I will be allowed to post pictures so I can share my build.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    8,476
    Can’t wait to see it... any hints???
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Can’t wait to see it... any hints???
    Nothing too special to most I'm sure, Just a stock Traxxas body with my favorite color!! Seems like lots of others must like it too, I had a hard time finding one. Maybe it is too new or old, I don't know. For a hint...........You can see it in the Traxxas 4x4 VXL video.

    I watched the old videos you posted of the BAJR bodied 4x4 Slash (not yours) I really like it and had thought about getting one. I am going to have to have a closer look at your BAJR thread.

    Everything is coming together nicely for this build. Though now I am kinda wanting to do away with the 1415 2400's 3mm shaft before I break it with the Robinson Racing hardened gears. I know the 2400 can come with the 5mm shaft but like you I want the cooler running of the 1/8 motor. So now I'm thinking the 1512 2650 would be perfect for this build plus I already have another use for the 2400. I dont think I am going to let it hold me up though, I just hope I don't ruin the 2400.

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37



    Here it is!! This thing is pretty mean just on 16/54 gearing I cant wait to try 18 and even 20! Wheelies on demand on the pavement, not so much on the dirt but it handles pretty nice so far.

    Me and my daughter had a good time Friday racing around until I got a little to cocky and cartwheeled off a small jump! Nothing too bad but pulled a turnbuckle apart, pretty good weak point I think actually. Anyway I found some parts in the bin and got her ready to go again! Hopefully later today we will get out and run em, I will try to get some video too!

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Somewhere up North
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by JDXX View Post



    Here it is!! This thing is pretty mean just on 16/54 gearing I cant wait to try 18 and even 20! Wheelies on demand on the pavement, not so much on the dirt but it handles pretty nice so far.

    Me and my daughter had a good time Friday racing around until I got a little to cocky and cartwheeled off a small jump! Nothing too bad but pulled a turnbuckle apart, pretty good weak point I think actually. Anyway I found some parts in the bin and got her ready to go again! Hopefully later today we will get out and run em, I will try to get some video too!
    Great looking rig if I do say so myself, 'cause it's the same one I have. You're way ahead of me in upgrades though.

  15. #15
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHog View Post
    Great looking rig if I do say so myself, 'cause it's the same one I have. You're way ahead of me in upgrades though.
    Right on!!!

    I love this body, not only does it look awesome but I can see it when I get the car out there a ways.

    My Slash was in need of quite a bit of maintenance anyway so I decided to make it more durable. I think it will pay off in the long run in reduced frustration, at least I am hoping so. hahahaha

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37
    For the lack of Castle motors being available I picked up this to try out.



    Hopefully I didn't waste my money.

  17. #17
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37
    I must of had some good juju or something,

    I soldered the ten gauge wires and bullets that came with my MMX to the new motor, hooked it up without the sensor wire and tested it. Seemed good except I was slightly suspect of my soldering job on the center motor wire but let it slide.

    Then I took it down to the house and set up the MMX for a motor test. So I hooked up the sensor wire and started the test. That motor made the worst sound ever and almost instantly the center motor wire popped off with a little flash of smoke!! I quickly shut it off and unhooked the battery. I'm thinking great, cheap eBay motor just fried my MMX.

    So I take a step back and a deep breath and start looking the situation over. As it turns out, I had somehow plugged the motor wires into the esc wrong!! Which of course worked fine on my initial test, until I plugged in that sensor wire. I felt so dumb at that point I just about walked away for the day. But I figured what the heck and properly re-soldered that center motor wire back on. Then I hooked up the motor wires carefully and correctly!!!

    My anticipation building, I put the battery back in and turned it all on, no smoke!! Next step, give it a bit of gas, seems to work! Rev her out a little, still good! So I reset for the motor test and completed it just fine, time to take her outside.

    Wow this motor is a beast!!!! I dont have the experience to describe it very well but it was a wee bit slower than the CC 2400 but way more torque! I got really lucky, rightfully I should have toasted my electronics. I think the subpar soldering job on the center wire acted as a fuse-able link.
    Lesson learned, slow down, pay attention dummy!!
    So in the end, I am happy so far with my $38.00 eBay motor. I had it geared 16/54 initially but just installed a 20t pinion yesterday!! Actually the larger pinion combined with torque control adjustment on a dial on my radio and it it pretty driveable now. Yeah till you pull the trigger a little further. I need to find somewhere to open this thing up!!
    Last edited by JDXX; 03-17-2019 at 12:42 PM.

  18. #18
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Somewhere up North
    Posts
    45
    Cool that you didn't toast your set up. That's always been my problem too, just too impatient when setting things up. Dang these things are fun though aren't they?! Bash on! I'm still waiting for the two feet of snow to melt in my yard before I can take mine out.

  19. #19
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHog View Post
    Cool that you didn't toast your set up. That's always been my problem too, just too impatient when setting things up. Dang these things are fun though aren't they?! Bash on! I'm still waiting for the two feet of snow to melt in my yard before I can take mine out.
    Yeah I got lucky, real lucky!

    Fun, oh yeah, and addicting. I am working on another stockish one for my wife right now. Does she want one? Probably not so much, but I told her she's gonna have fun whether she likes it or not! Haha

    No snow here but the rain has been keeping my RCing in check. I get tired of all the clean up, the dirt is so sticky when its wet. I probably dumped a pound of sandy dirt out my truck the last time I ran it on this wet dirt! I am seriously considering a tight fitting buggy body for these conditions.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    631
    I do not have experience with Robinson Racing gears, I hear they are great quality. With that said given the torque of the motor you may want to run mod 1 gears to further bullet proof the driveline since it is basically a 1/8 scale setup now.
    You can get the Revo mod 1 spurs that bolt up in plastic or metal. To be honest given their size the plastic 40t mod 1 spurs have held up well for me on 4s power with the castle 2200kv and keep the gear noise very quiet. I am in the process of going back to this setup from a speed runners build. If I remember correctly I was hitting around 45mph with 17/40 gearing on 3s which seemed to be a sweet spot of good speed, no cogging at low speeds, and nearly zero heat issues with the motor.

    I'd get a fan on that esc though, they get hot pretty quickly. My MM-X esc gets up to 160 F with 29/40 gearing within 3 short passes at 60mph.

    -Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 03-27-2019 at 07:36 PM.

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier NOFTCHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    I do not have experience with Robinson Racing gears, I hear they are great quality. With that said given the torque of the motor you may want to run mod 1 gears to further bullet proof the driveline since it is basically a 1/8 scale setup now.
    You can get the Revo mod 1 spurs that bolt up in plastic or metal. To be honest given their size the plastic 40t mod 1 spurs have held up well for me on 4s power with the castle 2200kv and keep the gear noise very quiet. I am in the process of going back to this setup from a speed runners build. If I remember correctly I was hitting around 45mph with 17/40 gearing on 3s which seemed to be a sweet spot of good speed, no cogging at low speeds, and nearly zero heat issues with the motor.

    I'd get a fan on that esc though, they get hot pretty quickly. My MM-X esc gets up to 160 F with 29/40 gearing within 3 short passes at 60mph.

    -Liberty
    I have a question. I run a Castle Creations Mamba Monster X Esc with 2650kv motor. I also run mod 1 gearing on 3s and 4s. Right now I have it geared 15/40. If i jumped it up to 21t pinion so 21/40 or even 19/40 would i be able to still run full packs? Would changing the gearing that much, either 19/40 or 21/40 from 15/40 make a difference? I have a fan for the esc not the motor. I have steel cvds, revo diffs with the i-bar, sway bars etc.
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    8,476
    Plug it in and see about the speed:
    https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

    As for temps, use your telemetry sensors and/or IR Temp gun and test test test.

    Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  23. #23
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    13
    Just bought a slash ultimate. Been a long time since i have had a rc. Got the esc fan, heatsink and motor fan. Some shock oil and diff oil. Would running 50k diff oil be too much? I like the gtr shocks, but very spongy. So i put sone 50w in the fronts and has a much stiffer feel. Im running california desert. So i know when the sun is up it wont be too thin. Any other tips and recommendations are highly appreciated

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier NOFTCHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Plug it in and see about the speed:
    https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

    As for temps, use your telemetry sensors and/or IR Temp gun and test test test.

    Have fun!
    Unfortunately I don't have telemetry sensors on my p4des just my sl4shes. Now how hot would be a ok running point for the CC 2650kv motor? I do have a duratrax temp gun. I don't want to fry my mamba monster x esc or my 2650kv motor.

    Sent from my SM-J327R4 using Tapatalk
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •