RC Racer

Ticking sound at very low throttle

Hey guys,

This isnít cogging, but my 8s XMaxx sounds like it has a ďtickĒ at very low throttle/speed. I check my pinion/spur mesh every other run and it has nothing to do with that. Am I overthinking it and itís just the metal gears? No performance issue and it doesnít get worse at more speed..

I have the 6s, so I don't have the metal gears. When any of my trucks start to click it's usually a diff problem.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I have the 6s, so I don't have the metal gears. When any of my trucks start to click it's usually a diff problem.
    It doesnít sound/seem like a diff. Itís pretty new and 8s version so Iíd be surprised to have blown a diff.. it just sounds different from my other RCís and I canít tell if itís normal.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíd say itís normal. The X-Maxx is a noisy animal. Maybe a video would help clear things up.

RC Competitor
    I say its normal and will go away. We had the same noise on my grandsons truck and it went away.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Clicking vid is worth a thousand how to vids...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    Iím trying to get one. Itís pretty faint so hard to get. Itís just a rolling ďclickingĒ sound but real faint. Iím thinking itís just the metal gears.. video to follow if I can get a good one.

RC Qualifier
    pop open the gear covers in the back and plop a small dab of grease on them. then run it a bit, if it goes away it was just noisy metal gears.

( you don't need much grease, a plop the size of a blueberry should do it for all the gears.)

RC Racer
    What kind of grease do you use? I have White Lithium Grease and Black Grease.. Iím planning on opening them and possibly swapping front to rear due to fluid weight...

RC Qualifier
    I use standard automotive or marine grease. Whatever I have lying around.

RC Racer
    Swapped front and rear diffs and added a blob of grease (very small). All gears looked good.

Iím thinking this is just the nature of the beast.

Iím thinking of getting the Prolines for it. Any issues with the added weight? Iím running 50/20 and Iím happy with it right now

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    Swapped front and rear diffs and added a blob of grease (very small). All gears looked good.

Iím thinking this is just the nature of the beast.

Iím thinking of getting the Prolines for it. Any issues with the added weight? Iím running 50/20 and Iím happy with it right now

if you really beat on it, the weight will come into play with big air and big crashes.

I would say wait until you shred the stock ones.

you thinking trenchers or badlands?
    I have the badlands, love them. however I do miss how the stock ones were "grippier" sort of.

its like letting air out of your car tires to get better traction on the beach.
    the badlands are stiff and do not deform.

if the truck gets high centered, you could rev it up and balloon the tires to get more traction.
    can't do that with the badlands

RC Racer
    I want something similar to stocks that are grippy with some expansion for flips/air control. I figured the Trenchers would do better than the Badlands for that?

RC Racer
    I got SRC Terrain Crushers on my 2.0 E Revo and although theyíre good for speed I find myself using the stocks more for bashing.

RC Racer
    While upgrading (or attempting to) fans I checked everything out and I was just hearing the metal spur/pinion. There is play in the fish drive which Iíve heard of some fixes for but everything seems fine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    While upgrading (or attempting to) fans I checked everything out and I was just hearing the metal spur/pinion. There is play in the fish drive which Iíve heard of some fixes for but everything seems fine.
    Super easy with an O ring

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Super easy with an O ring
    Well we went to the skatepark today. Bodies were great.. Traxxas ďhardenedĒ spur and pinion literally exploded.. what gears are you running? Iíve looked at GDS but I canít tell if Iím ordering the real thing or a knock off...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well we went to the skatepark today. Bodies were great.. Traxxas ďhardenedĒ spur and pinion literally exploded.. what gears are you running? Iíve looked at GDS but I canít tell if Iím ordering the real thing or a knock off...
    They both exploded? Are you using the pin system? If so Iíd say mesh issue. Iíll try and get you the link I used
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192334142648.

RC Racer
    They both exploded? Are you using the pin system? If so Iíd say mesh issue. Iíll try and get you the link I used
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192334142648.
    Thx Grip.. doesnít look like he has a 50t. Iím running 50/20.. I do use the pin system but have a way of triple checking.. Iíll ditch that now..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thx Grip.. doesnít look like he has a 50t. Iím running 50/20.. I do use the pin system but have a way of triple checking.. Iíll ditch that now..
    Grab this one
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F152738883035

RC Racer
    Your awesome. Iíll get this and the pinion ordered. May run stock gearing for the time being, looks like 3 week lead time. I need to pull everything apart and make sure nothing else got damaged..

RC Racer
    Hey Grip, did you have to modify your Cush drive to fit the GDS gear? I had to dremel off to posts next to the bolt holes. I think that is the small difference between the 6s slipper clutch spurs and the 8s Cush drive spurs..

Iím getting another one and canít seem to find a 50t GDS made for the 8s...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Ticking sound at very low throttle

Hey Grip, did you have to modify your Cush drive to fit the GDS gear? I had to dremel off to posts next to the bolt holes. I think that is the small difference between the 6s slipper clutch spurs and the 8s Cush drive spurs..

Iím getting another one and canít seem to find a 50t GDS made for the 8s...
    Yes I did modify it as well. Iíd just get different pinions and use the same spur. But thatís just me

RC poster
    I’ve got them both and yeah the trenchers are very soft and expand a scary amount so lots of control in the air but they are heavier, I haven’t noticed any issues with the weight increase other than higher temps but I just went down to a 16t pinion and that solved the temp issues and with the wheel ballooning it’s still faster than stock.